Remington 700

I have a Remington 700 vssf in 223 just lately I have had trouble with the bolt been stiff to cam over into firing position , and noticing brass bits brass around bolt face I have checked head space thinking brass wanted bumping but that doesn’t seem to be the problem, the rims of the brass are rough to the touch too what are your thoughts? , I am wondering if whatever chewing the brass is presumably what’s making the bolt stiff 

thanks in advance lee 

Hi Lee

I just seen your post and it is similar to my post. Worth having a look particularly the last comments and might help you as well as we share same problem.

Cheers

Steve 

Hi Steve does indeed sound similar to yours but unlike you i wouldn’t be confident changing out the extractor , I was out after fox other night and again hard to close bolt fox appeared bang round ejects fine , home clean small pieces brass and rough rim , I suppose even if I get bolt looked at the brass now damaged would be right off 

I always have a bit of brass in the bolt face on my howa 204 after shooting, last night one shot, one little chip of brass in there when I cleaned it, but I don't worry about it, the bolt always closes on my properly fl sized brass, one of a few reasons for a tight bolt close is a proud primer are you both making sure your primers are seating just below case head surface?

9 hours ago, Rammer223 said:

I have a Remington 700 vssf in 223 just lately I have had trouble with the bolt been stiff to cam over into firing position , and noticing brass bits brass around bolt face I have checked head space thinking brass wanted bumping but that doesn’t seem to be the problem, the rims of the brass are rough to the touch too what are your thoughts? , I am wondering if whatever chewing the brass is presumably what’s making the bolt stiff 

thanks in advance lee 

Sounds like the extractor, seen this in M-9 pistols and some rimfires. Tight stiff bolt lift is a sizing issue or pressure or both. How do the cartridges feed and bolt closure before firing? Stiff then probably sizing, I like a crush fit bolt closure. I have one chamber that insists I fl all the way so  I do. Does factory ammo do this as well? My single shot Ruger No1's I try to chamber with a slight effort, and if I got the fl die set right its hard to get a loaded cartridge to just fall out of the chamber. Best wishes for good shooting

Have bumped shoulder back because that was my first thought I will try some factory ammo and see what it feels like if stiff to close with that then maybe extractor issue as you say 

regards lee