Bullets for deer

Bambi-basher

I was doing some reloading last night and had to pull some loaded rounds. While I was at it I decided to section a Hornady SST bullet and a A-Max bullet to see what the difference was. Both bullets have to same sized hollow points, the jacket thickness is the same 0.013” at the point and 0.050 at the thickest part.

Can you tell which is which?

P1010169.jpg

Best rgds

Tahr

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

B-b,

compared to other hunting bullets I think SST's are fairly soft. Exactly what one wants

if one has a slightly slower cartridge like the swede, 308, 30-06 (maybe MV 2500fps - 2800fps)

At these speeds the a-max works just the same, wounds are identical.

Noslers seem to have a larger plastic bit in the front and might open quicker initially.

Anyway if some bullets are not legal then don't use em. If SST's are legal, then use them because

they work as well as the amax.

This pic has been up before of a few 30 cal bullet cuts.

30calcut.jpg

edi

I can only speak for 140 6.5mm A-Max's, 105 6mm Amax's and 6.5mm Senar's as they are the only "match" bullets I have personaly shot deer and foxes with.

140 6.5mm A-Max,

Exelent results on roe and foxes, they kill clean, shoot strait and leave a 2-21/2 caliber exit hole. I would have no hesatation on pulling the trigger with one up the spout of my 260.

105 6mm A-Max,

Havent personaly shot a roe with one, but I've seen carcases of roe shot with them. Same result as 140 6.5mm version. I have shot a couple of foxes with them, none complained about being dead.......

6.5mm Senar,

I've shot 1 roe and 3 foxes with these, they dont seem to have the same "shock" value as the A-Max, buy all 4 died humanely and the bullet had done it's job. I like them as a target round (so dose the gun) but MY feeling is they expand less than I would like to on a small animal like a roe, not that they dont expand, but just less than a SST which to be honest is my prefered hunting bullet.

In sumary, ANY bullet placed into the heart/lungs/brain/spineal colum will kill deer, the question is how quickly and how humanely will it do it and how will it preform on a margenal shot which is on the edge of a vital killing zone.....???

In sumary, ANY bullet placed into the heart/lungs/brain/spineal colum will kill deer, the question is how quickly and how humanely will it do it and how will it preform on a margenal shot which is on the edge of a vital killing zone.....???

That's about it.

I agree to that.

edi

6.5mm Senar,

I've shot 1 roe and 3 foxes with these, they dont seem to have the same "shock" value as the A-Max, buy all 4 died humanely and the bullet had done it's job. I like them as a target round (so dose the gun) but MY feeling is they expand less than I would like to on a small animal like a roe, not that they dont expand, but just less than a SST which to be honest is my prefered hunting bullet.

I have seen Senars used abroad were you can use FMJ if you wish :wacko: like you I was unconvinced by their performance.

Best rgds

B-b

i know not quite the same but i tried 70gr scenars in my .223 on foxy, they were too inconsistant. they either blew a great hole or mr foxy ran off whimpering! needless to say i wouldnt use em again.

I have also seen the 168 VLD's used out a 7mm on 1 deer and yep it certainly knocked it off its feet, instant kill but a fair bit of blood shot meat. However they were effective.

As a side note Edi, with what/how did you cut those bullets? Neat job!!!

I just ground them on a watercooled belt grinder. With a 3M diamond belt

might just cast some in epoxy and do a decent job to measure the walls.

edi

hi guys,

interesting thread this as always the law is open to interpurtation both ways . now just to muddy the waters a bit more how do we stand on this then.

from my firearms certificate.

" THE HOLDER OF THIS CERTIFICATE MAY POSSESS ,PURCHASE OR AQUIRE EXPANDING AMMUNITION, OR THE MISSELS OF SUCH AMMUNITION, IN .308, .223, .22RF &.243 CALIBER AURTHOURISED BY THIS CERTIFICATE AND MAY USE SUCH AMMUNITION ONLY IN CONNECTION WITH VERMIN/DEER/FOX/WILD BOAR CONTROL. "

NOW THE THINGS I DRAW FROM THIS ARE .

i may use expanding ammunition if i wish because in my mind it is more humane on the quary i am shooting but i have to challange anyone to show me where i must use it .

but i would be seriously worried if a letter of the law attitude was taken and someone found me using 150 grain nosler balistic tips 308 rounds zeroing at a range or trying to do load development

just when are you surpose to zero your weapon using expanding ammunition.

yours graham.

hi guys,

interesting thread this as always the law is open to interpurtation both ways . now just to muddy the waters a bit more how do we stand on this then.

from my firearms certificate.

" THE HOLDER OF THIS CERTIFICATE MAY POSSESS ,PURCHASE OR AQUIRE EXPANDING AMMUNITION, OR THE MISSELS OF SUCH AMMUNITION, IN .308, .223, .22RF &.243 CALIBER AURTHOURISED BY THIS CERTIFICATE AND MAY USE SUCH AMMUNITION ONLY IN CONNECTION WITH VERMIN/DEER/FOX/WILD BOAR CONTROL. "

NOW THE THINGS I DRAW FROM THIS ARE .

i may use expanding ammunition if i wish because in my mind it is more humane on the quary i am shooting but i have to challange anyone to show me where i must use it .

but i would be seriously worried if a letter of the law attitude was taken and someone found me using 150 grain nosler balistic tips 308 rounds zeroing at a range or trying to do load development

just when are you surpose to zero your weapon using expanding ammunition.

yours graham.

You are allowed to Zero your rifle, but your not allowed to enter TARGET COMPETITIONS using such ammo.

Hi Guys,

Here is some good info from Berger about the differences between their hunting and target lines, thick and thin jackets, etc. It doesn't help any with the legal wording here, but it should clarify the manufacturer's position.

http://benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59141

Thanks

Rick

Archived