Wild Wildcat

KABOOM

I have been doing a mental rifle build in 22 creedmooor intended for long range varminting. Action of choice is Ruger no1 Stainless with 28 inch .75 inch taper barrel.

3 groove barrel and laminate wood. 9 inch twist. The 69grn tmk at 3800 fps makes my brain itch! A donor rifle in 22-250 with a shot out barrel would be a way to do this somewhat cheaper.

As is I think it would be a 3k USD build. Feel free to comment and any ideas I will consider, not committed yet maybe I should be?

Personally like falling blocks and the No.1 is an updated take on a turn of the century  British rifle.

Think you’d need a gunsmith who knows about them? 

Re.22 CM, do you need all that speed vs accuracy?? Would have thought a 22-6.5x47 or 22BR had more potential? Seen 6-6.5x47’s that are silly accurate.

Triggers are available and I’d fit a ‘Hicks tuner’ as a safety net.

As to stainless and laminate, IMHO making a nice looking rifle on this action would be the way to go and due to how the fore end is mounted would not detract from accuracy 

EC590A86-A39C-473C-B818-49138DAEC6ED.jpeg.d4d733031e18eb431aa4a22388b978e5.jpeg

9 hours ago, terryh said:

Personally like falling blocks and the No.1 is an updated take on a turn of the century  British rifle.

Think you’d need a gunsmith who knows about them? 

Re.22 CM, do you need all that speed vs accuracy?? Would have thought a 22-6.5x47 or 22BR had more potential? Seen 6-6.5x47’s that are silly accurate.

Triggers are available and I’d fit a ‘Hicks tuner’ as a safety net.

As to stainless and laminate, IMHO making a nice looking rifle on this action would be the way to go and due to how the fore end is mounted would not detract from accuracy 

EC590A86-A39C-473C-B818-49138DAEC6ED.jpeg.d4d733031e18eb431aa4a22388b978e5.jpeg

That is one pretty rifle! I don't think speed and accuracy are a one or the other my hope would be .50 or less for  shots at 100 yds. My .204 No1V does way better than that. I have always admired the Farquarson  type action and Daniel Fraser too . A walnut color laminate with stainless would be a real eye catcher. At this point im still dreaming and if im employed at Christmas this may happen. In my world the perfect optic would be a Unertel with external adjustments or the Lyman Target Spot from days gone by, haven't seen either for sale in years. 

4 hours ago, Scooby-93 said:

I know of x2 24” 22 creedmoors shooting 75gr bullets at 3500.

personally I would go 8 twist And shoot the 85.5berger or 90atip

Thank you most of what I saw on .22 creedmoor was in very short barrels and this gives thought to stopping at 26 inches. Good point on twist rate and I will ponder and plot.

3 hours ago, KABOOM said:

In my world the perfect optic would be a Unertel with external adjustments or the Lyman Target Spot from days gone by, haven't seen either for sale in years. 

There's also the Redfield 3200.   I've had them in 16x & 24x on a Ruger No. 1, should be a bit easier to find than the other two.

Thank you gentlemen seems things are easier than I thought , still not a done deal and so far the guys with the white wrap around sleeve coat cant find me . this would def be my last rifle build and now for the cash...……. where are those lottery winnings?

• 2 weeks later...

Having investigated the costs involved this project wont happen unless the donor rifle comes at a very low price point.

RugerNo1 tend to be expensive and not found often in the used market my desire for one with a shot out bore is probably

unobtainium.