UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts
Willon

(Texas) one of the best place to hunt Deer

The old saying goes ‘Everything is bigger in Texas, In the hunting world,

this is applied as more land means more deer.

Texas has seen over 600,000 deer bagged annually in recent years,

and the sheer volume of open land in the state makes it a fertile ground for re-population and hunting.

As we say in Texas, "Everything is bigger in Texas, especially the assholes." :D

(My family is from/lives in Texas)

Spent a bit of time in Texas....got to say I love the place and the people (some) !

I was shown some unbelievable hospitality when I was there. They have their own take on firearms ownership.....allegedly 7 LEGALLY held firearms per household ! 

As someone pointed out, its the politest state in the US....no road rage, etc  'cos everyones armed😁😁 

I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Regards, Rob. 

I spent 7 days in Stephenville getting on for 15 years ago, when someone said have a good day they meant it. Drinking laws were a bit odd but extremely generous and friendly people.

24 minutes ago, Rob1562 said:

Spent a bit of time in Texas....got to say I love the place and the people (some) !

I was shown some unbelievable hospitality when I was there. They have their own take on firearms ownership.....allegedly 7 LEGALLY held firearms per household ! 

As someone pointed out, its the politest state in the US....no road rage, etc  'cos everyones armed😁😁 

I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Regards, Rob. 

I will like to welcome you personally on your next trip to Texas 😀

3 hours ago, Gandy said:

Brilliant place Texas.

Loved it when we went there. 

Glad you loved it here 😀

My Daughter had a year at the University of North Texas on a scholarship, I understand she had a good time 🙂

49 minutes ago, Elwood said:

I spent 7 days in Stephenville getting on for 15 years ago, when someone said have a good day they meant it. Drinking laws were a bit odd but extremely generous and friendly people.

Were you in a "dry" county?  Or are you referring to some of the "blue laws" that prohibit certain kinds of alcohol being sold in grocery stores (and at certain times)?

42 minutes ago, MarinePMI said:

Were you in a "dry" county?  Or are you referring to some of the "blue laws" that prohibit certain kinds of alcohol being sold in grocery stores (and at certain times)?

It was a dry County, we had to hand our passports over before buying alcohol and we couldn't drink it outside, which is a bit bizarre to an Englishman.

I can imagine.  It's strange even for us Americans, even when we live there.  They're old laws that never came off the books, and since some have used them to make a living now (like the "uni-card" membership to a proverbial "club" that allows you to drink in restaurants), they'll probably stay in place.

Kind of similar to the laws you guys used to have about Pubs, being affiliated to only one parent brewery, limiting what they could sell (at least until the laws finally changed).  Made no sense, but continued on long after it was enacted until people finally couldn't avoid changing it to something that made sense.

34 minutes ago, Elwood said:

It was a dry County, we had to hand our passports over before buying alcohol and we couldn't drink it outside, which is a bit bizarre to an Englishman.

Good times Ian ....seven hilarious days and excellent craic....Were you there for the liquor store visit in Mingus?

1 hour ago, gazzarM1 said:

Good times Ian ....seven hilarious days and excellent craic....Were you there for the liquor store visit in Mingus?

I think that must have been a previous visit Gary. Never a dull moment with Dave M around 😁

3 hours ago, Willon said:

I will like to welcome you personally on your next trip to Texas 😀

Don't know when i'll be back next.

Did a couple of SWAT courses with Irving/Dallas/Fort Worth PD.....what a couple of weeks !  Warmed up with 10,000 rounds each of 9mm at the range the weekend before.......probably shot more in that weekend than in 25yrs in the UK....talk about sore thumbs from loading in 95 degrees heat !!

Met some great people.....happy days !!

Regards, Rob. 

Lived near Houston for 5 years, excellent place and people.

Just do not try to be 'English' - accept that language is similar but there it ends, nothing worse than going to a mock English pub then going outside into 100 deg /90% humidity ☹️😁

Plenty of opportunity to 'go shooting'. While I was there did CAS, IDPA, 3 gun (the sensible version!) and the SH style comps. Made some good friends. along the way

Get back there with work a couple of times a year and have a catch up.

Terry

Spent two weeks there out on a ranch near San Angelo and then around Big Bend National Park, Midland and Lubbock. Brilliant place, great people and plenty of opportunities to shoot. I’d love to go back, but next time I’ll take it a little easier on the Mexican food for the sake of the local plumbing. Top BBQ though, best style of BBQ in the US if you ask me.

Andy

4 hours ago, Jager223 said:

Spent two weeks there out on a ranch near San Angelo and then around Big Bend National Park, Midland and Lubbock. Brilliant place, great people and plenty of opportunities to shoot. I’d love to go back, but next time I’ll take it a little easier on the Mexican food for the sake of the local plumbing. Top BBQ though, best style of BBQ in the US if you ask me.

Andy

Did you get out to Lowake Steak House?  Used to be the best steak house near San Angelo years ago...that is a great area ("Wool capital of the US" was their claim to fame. :D )

2 hours ago, MarinePMI said:

Did you get out to Lowake Steak House?  Used to be the best steak house near San Angelo years ago...that is a great area ("Wool capital of the US" was their claim to fame. :D )

I missed out on that, I was staying near Christoval. Cooper’s BBQ was the best place to eat for miles, think they opened a few franchises but that one (the original) was still family owned. Some great gun shops in the area too.

3 minutes ago, Jager223 said:

I missed out on that, I was staying near Christoval. Cooper’s BBQ was the best place to eat for miles, think they opened a few franchises but that one (the original) was still family owned. Some great gun shops in the area too.

🤙

There's plenty of Land, but pretty much all of it is privately owned.

Makes hunting a case of 'who you know' or how much you can spend!