people thoughts on barrel coolers

6 minutes ago, Jeffo1960 said:

Thinking of buying 1 of the above or perhaps making one as thinking it will cut 

down time doing load development,any advice would be apprciated ,thanks in advance

Buy a battery/rechargeable pump (for airbeds etc) attach a bit of plastic tubing to suit and I used an old brass case with the headstamp cut off as in the photo.    Depending on the calibre/chamber just use the appropriate brass case to suit and swap them over if necessary.

I have used it in competition between matches when it is hot (plus I shoot 5 shots very quickly) so the barrel gets pretty warm.   It works and cools the barrel down very well.    I also attach a stick on temperature strip on the barrel a few inches in front of the action.  

Cheaper than buying a more expensive one and mine works.

20200531_003838.jpg

44 minutes ago, Jeffo1960 said:

have you got a link for the pump thanks

I don't have a link as I bought mine at Go Outdoors and mine has no batteries but I recharge it from my laptop using a provided USB connecting wire.   They do have others which have 4 x large torch batteries.    Just go on their website and have a look.

Cannot give you a definitive answer but mine lasts long enough for me during a competition.

Will have it cooling the barrel for about 5 - 6 minutes about 3 times and mine keeps on going as long as I give it a full charge until the green light comes on.

Cannot speak for the battery operated ones,  but being realistic you shouldn't have any problems.

As they are cheap as chips,  get the type you want and test it out to see how long yours lasts.

9 hours ago, That bald headed Geordie said:

Buy a battery/rechargeable pump (for airbeds etc) attach a bit of plastic tubing to suit and I used an old brass case with the headstamp cut off as in the photo.    Depending on the calibre/chamber just use the appropriate brass case to suit and swap them over if necessary.

I have used it in competition between matches when it is hot (plus I shoot 5 shots very quickly) so the barrel gets pretty warm.   It works and cools the barrel down very well.    I also attach a stick on temperature strip on the barrel a few inches in front of the action.  

Cheaper than buying a more expensive one and mine works.

20200531_003838.jpg

Genius...!!!

Not something I thought about.

Ideal for ammo testing in these hot conditions 👍

I'm using the one from Magneto speed. It won't pump as much air as the one above but for its size it packs a punch ( Match box size) and it's very convenient to have in my kit bag.

I only ever use it testing loads, I have my Labradar screen set to black out after 1-1/2 mins and use the cooler between every shot, and after 2 groups I give the barrel a 10 minute rest with the cooler running.

,Lidle do an air compressor about the size of a cordless hand drill comes in a pack with a tyre inflator for very little money, the battery packs fit their drills and various other cordless tools they do. seems a good option to me. Having had discussions on this with various people if you could run a barrel cooler of a compressor with a air tank on it, as the compressed air expands it would get very cold. ( if you have ever used air tools you will know how cold they get ), it would need a moisture trap on it but that would be the ultimate. 

just bought a  battery/rechargeable pump,as i only want it for load development,would like to get into long range target shooting,well that is the plan ,but we all know how the best plans work out LOL,as only ever been foxing and deer stalking

Have one of the Mageneto speed items which I find pretty easy to pop into rifle between strings while writing down data etc. Compact and does not take up any room - I’m one for keeping stuff to a minimum.

Like the idea of the air bed inflators but would want to put some from of filter on it to stop crap being sucked up and blow down the barrel to then be ground into the rifling.

T

Having shot in 35 degree heat at Raton New Mexico with others on the site I can honestly say standing the rifle vertically with bolt removed allows convection current of air to rapidly cool down a warm or hot barrel that’s just shot a 20 round course of fire in F class 

Nature works a treat 😉

Cant say I want one but I do think the vents in my CZ550 stock help slow barrel heat. As for any better life idk it has 4400 shots down it , 22-250 and groups fine. Who knows for sure. For machine gun use I think that water jacket is great but no country I can think of uses water cooled machine guns now.