204 Ruger

Elliott

Who else shoots the 204 Ruger? I have one. A CZ527 Varmint. Love the rifle. Shoots really well with 39gr Blitz. Amazing on foxes and corvids. Had some really long shots on crows and rabbits. Must be the perfect varmint calibre.

IMG_20200525_215615.jpg

Love my 204, interestingly also use 25.6gr of 530 under 39SBKs.

Mostly lives a night life with thermal on it, great fun on magpies etc in the summer though.

22 hours ago, GT3_richy said:

Love my 204, interestingly also use 25.6gr of 530 under 39SBKs.

Mostly lives a night life with thermal on it, great fun on magpies etc in the summer though.

Strange! Shot them in my pals Howa Varmint at the weekend and it shot 1/4" in his, too. 

On 5/25/2020 at 5:43 PM, Elliott said:

Who else shoots the 204 Ruger? I have one. A CZ527 Varmint. Love the rifle. Shoots really well with 39gr Blitz. Amazing on foxes and corvids. Had some really long shots on crows and rabbits. Must be the perfect varmint calibre.

IMG_20200525_215615.jpg

I shoot a Ruger no1V stainless laminate and love it! works well on sage rats and jackrabbits, coyote ect. I prefer the 39grn Sierra as well.  I have rather a lot of the 32 grn on hand  but that's last resort. Powder of choice is either CFE223 or IMR 8208xbr and CCI BR4 primers, nosler brass. Very nice group! Best wishes for good shooting.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Howa 1500 in .204 Ruger, and I have been using 39g Blitzkings with 25.3g of RL10X giving 3650fps the Remington Accutip factory 40g gave 3700fps. Be interesting to know what powder they use. 

I think the CZ's have that longer barrel which helps the speed, don't know how it would shoot in my 22 inch barrel. Anyone else tried.

• 2 weeks later...

20BR, had it over 10 years so way before 204 appeared,  great caliber,   usually use 39 SBKs or 50gr Bergers.

Download mine to around 3500 using N150 and BR4 or Fed 205 primers,  over 14lbs so very smooth to fire although if I am likely to have to carry it far then I take something else.   

You mentioned a shorter barrel,   you will loose about 30fps per inch of barrel,   so a 22 inch given the same load will be around 150 fps slower than a 27 inch,  nothing you hit in the boiler room will complain about the lower velocity though.

A

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Just got one on my ticket for vermin but struggling to find a Left hander ( I know freak),  6-9months wait on a tikka. CZ have stoped making the 527 in LH .204 all others don't want to play either. so looking like a donor action and re-barrel :(, struggling to find half decent load data for reloading! don't seem to find a powder in QL to get it above 3700+fps for the 32gns?

On 7/5/2020 at 7:06 PM, Siphone72 said:

Hi, Just got one on my ticket for vermin but struggling to find a Left hander ( I know freak),  6-9months wait on a tikka. CZ have stoped making the 527 in LH .204 all others don't want to play either. so looking like a donor action and re-barrel :(, struggling to find half decent load data for reloading! don't seem to find a powder in QL to get it above 3700+fps for the 32gns?

I'm getting just under 3,800fps with N530 so you should easily achieve that with 32gr Blitz.

If you're going for a rebarrel as stated above, get a tighter twist for the 39gr Blitz and go for 25" 👍🏻

On 7/7/2020 at 6:32 AM, Elliott said:

I'm getting just under 3,800fps with N530 so you should easily achieve that with 32gr Blitz.

If you're going for a rebarrel as stated above, get a tighter twist for the 39gr Blitz and go for 25" 👍🏻

CFE223 will do the trick easy! best wishes for good shooting

• 2 weeks later...

I have two .204s and love them. Easier to load, lazer flat, (26 grain varmint grenades and 39 blitz kings)  low recoil and cheap and available brass / bullets....i use BLC-2 powder which seems to do the trick quire nicely in both.  i need one rebarrelling so if anyone has a new barrel they want to sell please get in touch. 

Thanks