52gr eld .223

Elmerfudd

Evening everyone I have a load of 52gr eld-m that groups tiny cloverleaf, just wondered if anyone can actually verify if these expand on vermin or not. The old 52 Amax did but not tried these as yet. Anyone using them in .223 please 

Edited by Elmerfudd
Just missed a word out

16 minutes ago, justin credible said:

Anything expands when it comes to a sudden stop after doing Mach 3.

That's the problem.   A lot of target bullets don't come to a sudden stop,  they simple carry on straight through leaving exit hole and cause minimal damage.

I was using 52 Amax in my 22br last night and they certainly expand  … , Sorry never tried the 52g ELD bullets

They would seem to expand on impact with water-filled jugs.

Try something similar at ranges from 100 to 300 m if the expansion at longer distances needs to be checked.

That or buy some ballistics gel for a more realistic 'flesh-like' test medium.

https://www.defensible.co.uk/

On 5/25/2020 at 3:13 PM, Elmerfudd said:

Evening everyone I have a load of 52gr eld-m that groups tiny cloverleaf, just wondered if anyone can actually verify if these expand on vermin or not. The old 52 Amax did but not tried these as yet. Anyone using them in .223 please 

My information is that the ELD-M is the same projectile with a slight change in the polymer tip. I se no reason that they wont work as well as the old Amax did. I liked the Amax better than the V-max for two reasons, it was on hand when the v-max was sold out and they grouped as well or better with better bc compared to the 50grn v-max. I have several hundred Amax on hand and when they run out I would not hesitate to buy the ELDM for the same uses.

ELD-M are meant to expand the same as the outgoing A-Max did.  Of those using it, most seem to indicate that it is more reliable than the tougher jakceted ELD-X on small quarry and less messy than the SST in calibres larger than .224

I still use the SSTs in 6.5 but have not yet tried the ELD-Ms which are on my radar.

Out of interest, have you tried N133 with these bullets?  I get superb results with both 55 and 60gr bullets usign N133 with better velocities than N140.  Similar grouping to the above too.  I load both to 2.24 OAL

• 9 months later...

Hi all 

just getting ready to fire my first  223 1:8” 20” barrel tikka t3x stainless  . Got some sako 55g soft points  . Local shop has vmax  55 ,nosler bt 55g,  federal 77g smks ,Remington  accutips 55g . Anyone tried these and how they work on foxy. 
thanks in advance for info .

cheers

Sako game heads have claimed my first 223 fox , excellent accuracy and very explosive on fox at 116 yards . Zeroed at 100 yards is exactly same poi as HMR So can swap from 223 to 17 hmr without adjusting scope . 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all 

measured tikka t3x 223 with the comparator case and it’s 2.3” coal with the Berger 73 grains. Tikka mags can take 2.26 ish . So will load as per the Berger book at 2.26 and work from there . Basically load to mag length and we’re good to go . 55/60 grain varmint Berger  rounds load to same and 52 grains Amax to 2.22 - secant ogive so totally different nose shape. Very glad I did this measure as was going for a much longer COAL that would of been a massive amount of jam. Sako game heads are 2.190 coal . Cheers and don’t take anything for granted in the reloading game 

stay safe 

• 5 months later...
On 9/25/2021 at 12:38 PM, Duster31 said:

Iv been using these for years in my 223 at 3510fps every one told me they would not expand at all well let me tell you that out to 350/400 they expand aswell if not better than 50gr blitskings 

82C01D35-0449-46F6-BDBA-1989D08E9D89.jpeg

518DB0EE-CD99-4538-AFD3-C9AD84F95439.jpeg

F4A46448-3F5E-44DD-8D33-B38E56EA72A2.jpeg

Hi just to confirm, are these 52gr eld-m thank you 

• 4 weeks later...