Id like to get myself a chrono, but having used the shoot through the tunnel type one with air rilfes I really dont fancy that type.

I think that leaves me the Magnetospeed or the Labradar. The Labradar looks  expenisve , but the Magnetospeed sporter seems to fit the bill, are there any other I should be considering?

cheers

Martin

Both good but both have their usage foibles.

The Magnetospeed can be a faff to attach and can affect POI so you may have to do load testing and speed testing separately.

The Labradar can gave triggering issues with small calibre and suppressed fire.... an accessory  recoil trigger can overcome this.

Both are accurate and WAAAY better than standard chrono.

I have a Magnetospeed Sporter Barrel Mounted Ballistic Chronograph and would recommend it, although it does cause vertical stringing. Therefore, usually shoot three rounds for speed (take the average) with  the Chronograph fitted, then take it off when shooting to test grouping.

👆this.

Although if you have picatinny rails up near the forend of your stock/chassis, then treat yourself to a ‘MK’ Magnetospeed attachment as it allows you to have all the benefits of the chrono on full-time without the issue of altering barrel harmonics. Works a dream;

Mount:

https://mkmachining.com/product/mk-machining-gen-iii-magnetospeed-mount/

Adaptor (only required for SPORTER model);

https://mkmachining.com/product/preorder-magnetospeed-v2sporter-bayonet-adapter/

I use a labradar unit, it is not cheap, but I can set it up in seconds, and have complete flexibility for programming via the smart phone app. This means I use it every time I shoot - apart from live quarry shooting obviously. Suppressed loads are not a problem, just switch to doppler mode. A sighting add on from 1066 is a game changer for small calibres. I do not know how many you can create without deleting, but I am up to 100+ series now. Down side seems to be that you cannot go back to an old series and add some shots, you have to create a new series. But you can always put the two series onto a spread sheet to get the average of the higher number of shots.

M sweating in sunny monmouthshire

I use a Prochrony digital. It may not be any better than to 1% but I have used the MV from it to get me smack on target from a 100yd zero at 1000yds, plus the one I have was very close to a magnetospeed tried to see how close they were.  It was within about 20 or 30fps anyway.

Money no object, Labradar would be my choice.

If I bought from new now I reckon it would have to be the Magnetospeed simply as it is more accurate but I remember it being a real faff to set up on mine.  I got lucky with the Prochrony I use as they do vary a bit.