For less than £1500 I'd buy a new Pulsar Axion XM30S 

That way you get a full 3 year warranty.

Try Blackwood Outdoors - speak nicely to Ian and you may get a bit of discount

The XD50s and HD19S are old models, long discontinued so spares/repair could be a major issue

Cheers

Bruce

Look out for a cheap Pulsar Helion XQ38F, they're about the benchmark for performance/cost, or an older Quantum XQ50 or XQ38.

The HD units on ebay are fairly long in the tooth now, both will be 25 micron units - and are pretty expensive for what they are. I know of a couple of XQ50s sold in the last few months for £900-1000 which are far superior, I'd put feelers out on the various foxing etc pages on bookface, see if anyone's looking to upgrade etc

Lots of similar questions here https://nightvisionforumuk.com (hope external links are ok?!).

I wouldn't buy a pulsar axion xm30s, i looked through an axion xm30 recently and if it's the same i thought the field of view was crap, would rather have my quantum lite xq30v any day.

The only difference between the xm30/xm30s is the quality of the screen/picture clarity in the "s". Same field of view.

Horses for courses......I use my xm30s for stalking and foxing.....love it !

Regards, Rob.

Wasn't aware Nitesite made thermal? as for DDO and Liemke, don't think either are readily available/marketed in the UK atm, Liemke were at the BSS but cant say I've seen/heard of them much otherwise.

On 5/25/2020 at 2:57 PM, GT3_richy said:

XPs have 640x480 pixel sensors, XQs have 384x288s. XPs have lower base mag.

Just an FYI, the Thermions and Trails are being discontinued, and being replaced by the Thermion 2 and Trail 2 this year.

5 minutes ago, MarinePMI said:

Just an FYI, the Thermions and Trails are being discontinued, and being replaced by the Thermion 2 and Trail 2 this year.

Guy is after a spotter, the above are scopes. But the same applies to the Helion spotters, Helion 2 is out (well, the XP50 at least) and in stock already in the UK, havent seen anything about the 38s or scope releases yet but shouldnt have thought the Helion 38s can be far away, as they must sell them by the boat load.

• 1 year later...
On 5/25/2020 at 2:15 AM, Bob57 said:

I wouldn't buy a pulsar axion xm30s, i looked through an axion xm30 recently and if it's the same i thought the field of view was crap, would rather have my quantum lite xq30v any day.

My father owns an $800 pair of Leica binoculars. These are 90% as good. The clarity at 12x is astonishing, I can count blades of grass at 200 yards. I am completely blown away by the fact that you can get a sturdy, near-perfect pair of binoculars for under $50 these days. Simply amazing. There is no chance that these will disappoint.

On 5/24/2020 at 7:05 PM, phoenix said:

For less than £1500 I'd buy a new Pulsar Axion XM30S 

That way you get a full 3 year warranty.

Try Blackwood Outdoors - speak nicely to Ian and you may get a bit of discount

The XD50s and HD19S are old models, long discontinued so spares/repair could be a major issue

Cheers

Bruce

Thanks for the honest review, We are also thinking to buy this one.