7 saum powder choice

Thanks Deer, how do you find brass availability? Seems looking online it seems to be very scares. I see you said you have a 284. also. Which one do you find a better choice?

i have been considering both for a long range plinker but not a copm rifle as there is nothing like that up where I live. Just large expanses of ground I can plink long range on.   

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 SAUM is a fantastic round - it has very similar performance to a WSM but with around 3-5 grains less powder and everything that goes with that. Notably I have experienced far less elevation and 'flyers' with the SAUM, although I switched to one of Joe West's awesome stocks at the same time, so that might well have played a part! 

Personally I found it quite a fussy round to load for, but once sorted it's been great. Brass life has been good too- mine has seen at least 10 reloads with annealing after every firing.

If you're struggling to source 7 SAUM brass, then another option would be to neck down .300 SAUM

Saying that, for your intended use, I would probably lean towards a .284. I haven't owned one myself, but you give up very little speed to a SAUM, they're famously accurate, and you'll get better barrel life. They also use a .308 bolt face so this might influence your choice too. 

3 hours ago, Fitz said:

Thanks Deer, how do you find brass availability? Seems looking online it seems to be very scares. I see you said you have a 284. also. Which one do you find a better choice?

i have been considering both for a long range plinker but not a copm rifle as there is nothing like that up where I live. Just large expanses of ground I can plink long range on.   

I usually get my brass from Gary Costello at March scopes. Failing that Mik at dolphin engineering or Spud.

If it's for longrange plinking then the 284 will more than adequate and yield for more barrel life.

It will muller any wild creatures we shoot and very accurate.. you've seen the photo of a very recent group with my 284 using 180gr ELDM's. It shoots most bullets I've tried sub 0.5 inches or better on the first loads I've tried without any load development 

The saum is better suited as a for the range in a heavier gun as it's quite pokey. It would be unpleasant to shoot without a mod or a muzzle brake with a 13lb gun.

The 284 would too come too that but I use one or the other.

In f class you use a heavy gun which helps against the recoil.

Probaly the majority of gunsmith use tight necked chambers so it's extra case prepp.

The advantage of the saum is the extra speed which drifts less in the wind. The 7wsm has a little more speed but less efficient so I've read.

I'm not sure what the 300wsm brass availability is.

I fancy trying one myself as they are so say less prone for elevations like the 7mm's can, there extremely accurate,easy too tune and a huge selection of bullets.. the 300wsm does give away a little windage to the saum according to my bal cal but not much. More powder and more recoil though and they've become very popular with f class.

Gary Costello former world and European champion used his to good effect to win the GB f class league again last year.

On 5/29/2020 at 10:08 PM, No i deer said:

0.5 minutes is what you need really. Mine was about 3/4 minute.. more than likely driver error or the conditions.!!!

My first 9 shots was 1/4 minute 😊

The rifle/load is probaly capable.

There quite a few shooters on here that could post some better plot sheets than this..It just one from the British championships 

1/4 minute is possible..

The conditions dictate the results

Well thqt is certainly some fine shooting even with no13 upsetting your group.

I will be more than happy with .5 moa and single digit es for my requirements.

Can't be too far off getting the rifle back now. Will go for N165 and eldm 🤞 

Thanks for your input guys much appreciated. 

Deer  that is a beautiful group with your 284. You mentioned barrel life, what kind of life are you getting from your 284. And what velocity are you getting? 

again sorry for all the questions. 

5 hours ago, Fitz said:

Thanks for your input guys much appreciated. 

Deer  that is a beautiful group with your 284. You mentioned barrel life, what kind of life are you getting from your 284. And what velocity are you getting? 

again sorry for all the questions. 

1700 shots so far.

26 inch fluted heavy varmint strait taper bartlein barrel about 0.900 at the muzzle.

Recently getting 2800fps with 180gr ELD match bullets on 54grs of N160.

I've been running 162gr amaxs on 57grs on N165 at about 2820fps for hunting. I've used 180gr scenar l's and 180gr hybrids on N165 which is slower.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...