Optics and mount for .338 Lapua Magnum

MichalS

Hello,

I'm getting a .338LM for long range competition - it's a Savage 110 Elite Precision. The rifle has 20MOA rail built in. Now I'm wondering about what scope and mount to get for it. I do have a Vortex Golden Eagle I initially planned to put on it, but after doing some calculations I figured out I need ~70MOA of elevation @1 mile, and I would like to be able to shoot 2000m (~100MOA?). Vortex GE only has 55MOA of elevation travel... I do like high magnification optics. What would You suggest? What do You use?

TIA,

Michal

16 minutes ago, MichalS said:

Hello,

I'm getting a .338LM for long range competition - it's a Savage 110 Elite Precision. The rifle has 20MOA rail built in. Now I'm wondering about what scope and mount to get for it. I do have a Vortex Golden Eagle I initially planned to put on it, but after doing some calculations I figured out I need ~70MOA of elevation @1 mile, and I would like to be able to shoot 2000m (~100MOA?). Vortex GE only has 55MOA of elevation travel... I do like high magnification optics. What would You suggest? What do You use?

TIA,

Michal

I have a S&B PM2 FFP that gives me 26mil sitting in a Spuhr 6mil uni-mount all on a 6mil rail.  So maximum elevation is 36mil (128moa)  I zero at 200yds. That gets me out to +2,200yds without resorting to using hold over on the reticle.  I can't stress how important scope cant is at long range, I use the integrated bubble level in the Spuhr.

I like a FFP scope as, if you're spotting for yourself, it's useful to measure misses directly so as to walk onto target.  Magnification of about 25x is more than enough, too much mag and you may not see miss-splashes and therefore not be able to correct.  Mirage is also a big factor (if you can see one through the rain 😉)

Concur with PbG,

FFP scopes are very useful re. correcting fall of shot but also, I believe, the internal mechanics of a FFP scope is more resistant to any change in POI if you change magnification?

25x should be enough, more is nice if the optics are good, you can always turn it down.

T

First or Second Focal is just a preference and carries no bearing on shooting these distances ..... Pick a scope that suits you and has a good range in Elevation AND Windage as at extreme range you will eat up Windage and people just seem to focus on elevation . The other Item is how to get back the loss of elevation that you'll have in getting a hundred yard zero which is approx 40-45% so a 20 moa rail won't work alone without 20 moa mounts as well working on a 100 moa scope give or take .

OSOK

I used a Nightforce NXS 5-22 on my .338 in the 3 ring sako mount. 

Second focal plain but I used it on max Mag so no issue with the reticle being correct.

If I was doing it again I'm not sure what scope I'd have, probably a NF ATACR but I'd go for the spuhr mount.

26 minutes ago, MichalS said:

What do You guys think about Delta Optical Stryker 5-50? It has 100MOA elevation range. Any experiences with it?

If you can, get a look through whatever you're planning on buying - difficult at the moment of course

Hi Michal,

I have the Delta; although I don't shoot long range or heavy calibre I love it. The reticle is really fine with a single tiny illuminated centre dot, great as a hunting scope.

I traded a PM2 to get the Delta and I think the glass to my tired old eyes is almost as good.....maybe at max mag, not quite the same.....however the reticle swayed it for me. Turrets are nice and crisp and track accurately.

I got mine from Optics Warehouse.....i'm pretty sure you could get one and see how it suits and return for a full refund if you don't like it (just cost you the postage).

Regards, Rob.  

S&B PMII 5-25 with 2nd focal plane reticle and a 30 MOA rail in Third eye rings for me because it’s what I had already when I got the 338. Saying that I do thing it is a good fit for the application