Taper crimps

KABOOM

Considering a taper crimp to reduce sd has anyone done this? Not planning to roll crimp when the bullet in question has no canelure

Kaboom,

Personally I do not taper crimp CF rifles

I did though crimp the 22K Hornet when I had one and it made a difference, but think this was due to the thin cases in this cartridge.

Not had issues with SD’s I’m achieving, pay attention to case prep, control (as best I can) neck tension seems to to be enough to give low ES and SD’s. Caveat - not sure if my test group sizes give a meaningful SD?

T

1 hour ago, terryh said:

Kaboom,

Personally I do not taper crimp CF rifles

I did though crimp the 22K Hornet when I had one and it made a difference, but think this was due to the thin cases in this cartridge.

Not had issues with SD’s I’m achieving, pay attention to case prep, control (as best I can) neck tension seems to to be enough to give low ES and SD’s. Caveat - not sure if my test group sizes give a meaningful SD?

T

Thank you, my thought was it may reduce sd,  key word may. In the end I do agree with you and after some thought I think most of my trouble was from a powder funnel with a step in the neck, now replaced. Time with the chronograph will tell me.

I won't roll crimp but I am a huge proponent of using a Lee Factory Crimp Die. It doesn't require a cannelure. I crimp every round i load. If Lee doesn't make one for the cartridge I'm shooting , I have them make one custom. (A 9.3x57 was my most recent purchase) It will lower your ES and SD. From the 22 Hornet to my 300 Win Mag Long Range Target loads, my loads are not fully finished until they are crimped.~Andrew

7 hours ago, Andrew said:

I won't roll crimp but I am a huge proponent of using a Lee Factory Crimp Die. It doesn't require a cannelure. I crimp every round i load. If Lee doesn't make one for the cartridge I'm shooting , I have them make one custom. (A 9.3x57 was my most recent purchase) It will lower your ES and SD. From the 22 Hornet to my 300 Win Mag Long Range Target loads, my loads are not fully finished until they are crimped.~Andrew

I have read that crimping can improve ES/SD due to raising the release pressure to a consistent and repeatable amount.  I believe part of the reason for jamming into the lands is to achieve the same benefit.  Crimping makes sense as it 'overrides' neck tension issues somewhat.  I wonder if it may also act to make the round more concentric ?

Have you ever checked that before and after crimping?

PbG,

Only ever checked on the 22K Hornet and halved the ES (which improved the SD)

As I said I’m content with my current techniques re neck tension so doubt if I’ll be adding a crimp by any method. But that is just me 😉.

Caveat: I do ‘crimp’ the 38Spl/357 mag in carbines

Brgds T

Thinking about this a bit more, isn't bushing die neck tension a better bet?  Obviously for consistent tension the necks need to be uniform in thickness.

I'm experimenting with expanding after bushing sizing (without button) to see if there's any benefit

13 hours ago, Popsbengo said:

I have read that crimping can improve ES/SD due to raising the release pressure to a consistent and repeatable amount.  I believe part of the reason for jamming into the lands is to achieve the same benefit.  Crimping makes sense as it 'overrides' neck tension issues somewhat.  I wonder if it may also act to make the round more concentric ?

Have you ever checked that before and after crimping?

No. I haven't. I have always said that anyone  who shows up at my house and asks for it can have my concentricity gauge. I shoot at long range with my Creedmoors,. I crimp all my loads for the reasons you state. (So do must ammunition makers) I recently let a kid shoot my TAC A1 with 140 grain Custom Competitions seated in Norma brass and crimped. The shooter was of the opinion that crimping ruined the load. With my TAC and the ruined loads he shot a 3.5 inch group at 775 yards. Now he doesn't know what to think -other than that  he wants a TAC A1. As I said, I crimp everything but it entails extra work to some. I trim all my brass to the length of the shortest case in the LOT to make crimping uniform. Of course, I mind the details in the rest of the load chain as well.~Andrew

50 minutes ago, Andrew said:

No. I haven't. I have always said that anyone  who shows up at my house and asks for it can have my concentricity gauge. I shoot at long range with my Creedmoors,. I crimp all my loads for the reasons you state. (So do must ammunition makers) I recently let a kid shoot my TAC A1 with 140 grain Custom Competitions seated in Norma brass and crimped. The shooter was of the opinion that crimping ruined the load. With my TAC and the ruined loads he shot a 3.5 inch group at 775 yards. Now he doesn't know what to think -other than that  he wants a TAC A1. As I said, I crimp everything but it entails extra work to some. I trim all my brass to the length of the shortest case in the LOT to make crimping uniform. Of course, I mind the details in the rest of the load chain as well.~Andrew

may have to give it a go myself and see

23 hours ago, Andrew said:

This ^^^^

16 hours ago, Popsbengo said:

Thinking about this a bit more, isn't bushing die neck tension a better bet?  Obviously for consistent tension the necks need to be uniform in thickness.

I'm experimenting with expanding after bushing sizing (without button) to see if there's any benefit

PBG

That is how I do it, neck bushing for sizing then separate ( carbide) expander.

during the boredom  might look at the LFC?

• 4 months later...

I've been playing around with crimping a bit.

I'm developing a cheapo .223 Rem plinking load

Approx 25gr Ramshot TAC

Range pick up S&B brass

Magtech small rifle primer

Hornady 55gr FMJBT (Bulk pack 500s so not exactly a "premium" projectile)

So far seating to the cannelure and a Lee Factory crimp has definitely shrunk my groups.

• 2 weeks later...

I was back out to the range in some very inclement weather last week (snow, wind) testing the 120 Sierra Pro Hunters in my Varmint 6.5 Grendel. All cases trimmed to same length, and loads finished with a Lee FCD. Off of a bipod resting resting on frozen slush, all rounds cut each other at 100 yards. Can't necessarily attribute that to the crimp, but it didn't hurt. ~Andrew

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

I was back out to the range in some very inclement weather last week (snow, wind) testing the 120 Sierra Pro Hunters in my Varmint 6.5 Grendel. All cases trimmed to same length, and loads finished with a Lee FCD. Off of a bipod resting resting on frozen slush, all rounds cut each other at 100 yards. Can't necessarily attribute that to the crimp, but it didn't hurt. ~Andrew

Sounds very good!

Thanks!

I got back yesterday from the hunt. I did not shoot but let my girlfriend have her run at some river-bottom whitetails. We saw a few but moving too fast for a shot. My buddy shot a mule deer that dressed at 250 pounds. Spent the morning butchering it and enjoyed thick cut, pan-seared sirloin for dinner. All in all we saw about 1000 deer and a dozen or better elk. 

No worries. I will shoot one or two in the next few weeks. I also bought a new Tikka UPR in 6.5 Creedmoor. Zeroed it with Hornady MAtch and Precision hunter this afternoon. Bug holes....~Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Back to the Lee factory crimp, I use one on pretty much all of my loads.

Once I'd worked up an accurate load for a particular round, I'd load 10 with a crimp and ten without and put them over the chrono for my strelok data. Each time the ES was reduced to some degree with the factory crimp.

I'm not a world class Fclass shooter, don't turn necks etc, but for my basic loading routine it works for me.