rifle bolt question

banus02

good afternoon,i have a 243 Winchester coyote lite and find that the bolt is very loose in the action,it closes and the rifle fires ok but a little concern as to how loose the bolt is,the rifle has fired less than 1000 rounds from new and is a stalking rather than a range rifle.perhaps this is how Winchesters are made and I am comparing it to my tikka so it feels worse than it is.i am a little concerned about using it as I don't want to get injured or damage the rifle.it sits in the cabinet and only see the light of day a couple of times a year ,it is accurated but as stated the bolt is a very loose fit.

Loose when cycled (open bolt retract, close to battery and lower ) 

or

Loose when closed and cocked - so you mean the tolerances are slack allowing wiggle when bolt open or closed 

Manufacturers allow some tolerance to avoid the moving parts to let some dirt get out - too tight and you end up with galling or sized parts 

None of the Winchester’s I’ve used could be described as “tight” but that applies to most non custom actions