15 minutes ago, No i deer said:

I'm glad to hear you've got everything under control BD 👍😁

😂 I didn't say that!  Seriously, put up a wanted for a scope or something and report back 🙂

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, brown dog said:

Good grief, it isn't about this forum; it's about people and life in general.

Give yourself a shake and then look in the mirror and give yourself a face slap.

I was not implying that this issue is all about this forum, I was trying to make the point that, sadly, we have to be vigilant in every aspect of our lives these days, that this is just another one of those reminder lessons about the world we live in. I visit this forum to learn lessons, listen to opinions and to gather information from members on here who are far more experienced and knowledgeable than I am about this hobby that we all have in common.
The lesson I have learned, from following this thread, is that a member got scammed and it happened via this forum. Just because I didn't expect scammers to be operating in such a niche, subject matter sport, doesn't necessitate me looking in the mirror or slapping myself. This all happened on this forum to which you are a Global Moderator, so maybe you should be the one to take a look in the mirror.
I may be relative newbie to this forum but I am no way a newbie in life and I don't care for your tone, perhaps I have construed it wrongly, but I don't think so.
No doubt you will issue a clever retort or perhaps block me from the forum, either way, good day to you.

21 minutes ago, SeaMonkey said:

I was not implying that this issue is all about this forum, I was trying to make the point that, sadly, we have to be vigilant in every aspect of our lives these days, that this is just another one of those reminder lessons about the world we live in. I visit this forum to learn lessons, listen to opinions and to gather information from members on here who are far more experienced and knowledgeable than I am about this hobby that we all have in common.
The lesson I have learned, from following this thread, is that a member got scammed and it happened via this forum. Just because I didn't expect scammers to be operating in such a niche, subject matter sport, doesn't necessitate me looking in the mirror or slapping myself. This all happened on this forum to which you are a Global Moderator, so maybe you should be the one to take a look in the mirror.
I may be relative newbie to this forum but I am no way a newbie in life and I don't care for your tone, perhaps I have construed it wrongly, but I don't think so.
No doubt you will issue a clever retort or perhaps block me from the forum, either way, good day to you.

Good heavens, posts don't have tone.🙄

Keyboard offense and keyboard passive aggression is very boring. We tend not to do it here; which is what sets this board apart. Come here and type with a smile on your face, as if to friends over a pint, or don't. Quite a boorish start point, though.

36 minutes ago, SeaMonkey said:

If posts don't have tone, do they have passive aggression?

You buy the first pint and we're good.

Here's my smiley face 😀 

Good come-back 😊🍺

7 hours ago, Popsbengo said:

That's the 'nuclear option'.  I'm not sure advocating a journey back to the 1990's is a real option for most people.  😀

The best protection is education and application of sensible on-line behaviours.

There's always been scammers, I was duped in 1968 by an ad in 'Wireless World' - I ordered a HAC single pentode HF receiver  - the Postal Order was cashed (I presume) and the kit never materialised - I later found out this was not an uncommon experience.   Lesson learned before I was a teenager.

1990s? Trust me, it’s more like the 50s😀😀

Just a thought regarding sales threads, other shooting forums that I have been on for a good while started to ask for a photo of the item with your username to try to stop any possible scammers, one even asks for a date along with the username as a few people had been caught out.

As I was so used to that system for a number of years, I found it odd when joining UKV and SD.  Some sales posts don't even have photos of the item!!

I know it may be a pain in the arse for some folk but it could be one way of getting rid of any potential A holes??

For those laughing about 2 factor authentication, its there to verify users, not related to sales platforms only. Coming from an IT company, i find it silly that people associate 2factor auth with sales, it's a step in confidence building and used by most platforms today which adds another level of security. Google doesnt sell most users anything and has it on all apps, most other apps have it enabled at signup stage and a few steps down the line as well. It just makes the platform less prone to be targeted. You're only as smart as the last one that got conned, one day it may bite you think twice.

A few sensible guidelines- call sellers, most apps will also tell you name of user. 

Video call the user and ask for item to be shown to you. Many scammers wont show themselves on camera and unlikely others will want to do that if theyre not serious.

Ask a few item related questions, unless youre really into this stuff, you'll get caught out.

6 hours ago, SRGNXL said:

For those laughing about 2 factor authentication, its there to verify users, not related to sales platforms only. Coming from an IT company, i find it silly that people associate 2factor auth with sales, it's a step in confidence building and used by most platforms today which adds another level of security. Google doesnt sell most users anything and has it on all apps, most other apps have it enabled at signup stage and a few steps down the line as well. It just makes the platform less prone to be targeted. You're only as smart as the last one that got conned, one day it may bite you think twice.

What he said! 

2FA is pretty much the minimum standard now in my my corporate workspace.

22 minutes ago, martin_b said:

What he said! 

2FA is pretty much the minimum standard now in my my corporate 

Out of interest, could you list the forums currently using two factor authentication? 

As always Caveat Emptor 

The responsibility of what one purchases lies with the purchaser - scammers are everywhere in society - one only has to look at “seek ans sell” on social media , small ads in papers , magazine (horse and hound for example) and they can be spotted and there are warnings to make sure YOU the purchaser are satisfied it’s a genuine vendor before or during negotiation

If banks, on line sales sites get scammers what makes people think it ain’t going to occur elsewhere 

Surely the issue has been fraudulent buyers, not sellers.

No amount of controls would prevent someone contacting another member by PM to continue the fraud, except banning new members from PMs until they have X amount of posts. This would then require some concerted effort on the fraudsters part and move them elsewhere IMHO

24 minutes ago, Roy W said:

Surely the issue has been fraudulent buyers, not sellers.

No amount of controls would prevent someone contacting another member by PM to continue the fraud, except banning new members from PMs until they have X amount of posts. This would then require some concerted effort on the fraudsters part and move them elsewhere IMHO

Yup.

Think this has run it's useful course.

Moving forward, if anyone does get targeted from a wanted ad, please flag it.

Other than that,  have you all heard that they've taken the word 'gullible' out of the dictionary?

Caveat Emptor.