• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Villadave59 said:

Very sorry to hear about you being scammed by this vermin,This is an obvious pattern on the wanted section ,not sure how you can stamp it out,

i had similar experience with the "reach out to Gary ploy"when I put wanted ad for tenabraex scope covers, the price offered was pitched at around 25% cheaper than retail so they'd done some research  what stopped me was the third party referral ,just didn't smell right,I pm,d admin but not sure what they can do  I think perhaps only deal with established members only which is a real shame ,good luck with police hope they track them 😬

Absolutely, caveat emptor- as in all life. 

Personally, I've only bought on here where the person can establish that they and I know someone in common, or the poster is a regular on here who I 'recognise'.

...sort of thought that was common sense (?)

...don't forget, we even recently saw an Italian gentleman on here who'd sent money to a full-on identity theft fake, but completely convincing Brit gunshop website.

Think we're on top of our annoyer at the mo; we've made some tweaks. Won't specify them in public, because that would be silly, but we need to have reports separated into 'now' vs 'a while back' to get a feel for what's working. 

As before, without a feel for 'when', it'd be easy to think this was a tsunami, rather than one individual/team using a vpn, but almost certainly outside UK, who's been picked off each time they've been reported.

These type of scams are quite common. they require 3 things to be successful.

1, a scammer.

2, an internet connection.

3, a high level of stupidity.

everyone here has at least of of the above.

I have always found very honest traders in the UK,  I myself although living in a different  country have been completely honest when selling stuff in the UK with very satisfied buyers  so one does get caught off his guard when he hopes to close a deal and when he has been scammed for the first time in his life. 

Having said this some security features built into this site would help  and members sharing their  experiences online although not mandatory is strongly advisable.

And btw for the smarter guys here calling somebody stupid  after an unfortunate event  is not cool .

Well, to be clear, there are security features built into the site. And 99.99% of the time that filters out spambots... what's happening here is a real individual(s) joining up and sending fully interactional conversational pms; that is, the responses to questions in PMs are clearly a real person because the conversations react to questions in a way that only a real person can.

I know there's a great temptation in society today to present oneself as a passive victim who is a slave to circumstance, but this is simply a ne'er do well interacting with people to con them.

And, hard news or not, it's the gullible who get conned.

BlCqAKwCIAAccMX.png.b8d9a58db841d6cfdc59f10c36897590.png

So... what software to guard against the possible future intentions of real people?

Well, please pm me the answer, because I'll sell it to the Home Office to use it to detect violent radicals before they act.

47 minutes ago, Woodlander said:

I have to agree with your last point,  completely unnecessary and thoughtless. 

I agree too..

Not everybody can see a scammer especially people who don't use computers and such devices as much as others as there not expecting to be conned. Alot of us are so naive in this area.

Too trusting I guess.. 

The same scam is happening on Milsurps.com   targetting sellers and wanted ads telling them to get in contact with Mr X in Florida or wherever.

Just do as Boris says and 'Stay Alert'

1 hour ago, brown dog said:

Well, to be clear, there are security features built into the site. And 99.99% of the time that filters out spambots... what's happening here is a real individual(s) joining up and sending fully interactional conversational pms; that is, the responses to questions in PMs are clearly a real person because the conversations react to questions in a way that only a real person can.

I know there's a great temptation in society today to present oneself as a passive victim who is a slave to circumstance, but this is simply a ne'er do well interacting with people to con them.

And, hard news or not, it's the gullible who get conned.

So... what software to guard against the possible future intentions of real people?

Well, please pm me the answer, because I'll sell it to the Home Office to use it to detect violent radicals before they act.

Fully agree.  I have every sympathy with victims of scams but there's plenty of things we can all do as a matter of course to avoid being scammed.

Honestly. IMO the 3.5% from paypal "goods and services" is nothing compared to the piece of mind it gives that you're covered from this kind of thing. 

I use it pretty much every time. If you're buying something on the forum, odds are you're already getting a damn good deal!

1 hour ago, Popsbengo said:

Fully agree.  I have every sympathy with victims of scams but there's plenty of things we can all do as a matter of course to avoid being scammed.

My in-laws have the best idea; no internet, no computer of any kind, so no internet banking, email, chat forums or anything. They possess a simple 2G phone for emergencies. 

Visiting them is like stepping back in time. They don’t even know what catch up TV is. But they are pretty immune from the scamming experienced on here.

24 minutes ago, Rem Imperri said:

Honestly. IMO the 3.5% from paypal "goods and services" is nothing compared to the piece of mind it gives that you're covered from this kind of thing. 

I use it pretty much every time. If you're buying something on the forum, odds are you're already getting a damn good deal!

If you don't opt for the 3.5% + 20p, you can get help from your bank that's associated with the PayPal account. 

I had a similar issue with no reply from the seller, phoned PayPal, they said that they couldn't help due to me not opting for the protection, however, they advised to contact my bank. 

I did this and the bank were very good, they asked for any proof of communications I had with the seller and any other relative info. 

Luckily before I sent it off, the seller responded and the item arrived a couple of days later. 

I'm guessing all the stress could have been avoided had I either took out the protection or the seller responded sooner than they did. 

Coincidentally I know that PayPal no longer cover payments associated with firearms or air rifles regardless if you have paid for protection or not. 

5 minutes ago, Brillo said:

My in-laws have the best idea; no internet, no computer of any kind, so no internet banking, email, chat forums or anything. They possess a simple 2G phone for emergencies. 

Visiting them is like stepping back in time. They don’t even know what catch up TV is. But they are pretty immune from the scamming experienced on here.

That's the 'nuclear option'.  I'm not sure advocating a journey back to the 1990's is a real option for most people.  😀

The best protection is education and application of sensible on-line behaviours.

There's always been scammers, I was duped in 1968 by an ad in 'Wireless World' - I ordered a HAC single pentode HF receiver  - the Postal Order was cashed (I presume) and the kit never materialised - I later found out this was not an uncommon experience.   Lesson learned before I was a teenager.

Maybe admins can introduce 2 factor authentication which links your posts to a real mobile number similar to what you get on google and other applications when you try to login.

3 minutes ago, SRGNXL said:

Maybe admins can introduce 2 factor authentication which links your posts to a real mobile number similar to what you get on google and other applications when you try to login.

really? isn't this getting out of hand.  It's a discussion forum not ebay.  Why not just make your own arrangements?

Can't bloody believe it , these tards are also on a target shooting forum I'm a member of. I've had a message from a Michael112 claiming that a Lawrence in London has both of the scopes I'm looking for .

The arsehole must not have much between the ears as when you look at his profile he only joined around the same time as my wanted ad went up.

7 minutes ago, brown dog said:

😂😂  Genau!!

Vielen Dank !  

This guy pictured tried it with me on the 29 March. I did email the guy in the us and he sent me a load of pics of a supposed scope. He then emailed me multiple times asking if I was going ahead with buying his scope. To the point were he was almost bullying me into buying it. In the end I stopped replying and he went away. 

Screenshot_20200517-144637_Chrome.jpg

14 minutes ago, No i deer said:

May Brown dog should put up a wanted advert and see if any of these scammers apply then block them or whatever you do..

Most of the reports in this thread are legacy and the twerp in his various guises was picked-off at that time and long ago.

As before, this thread is giving a false impression that this is a tsunami happening simultaneously right now - and that isn't the case.

Feel free to put up an phishing ad; I suspect it will draw no response from these people 😉

Education and awareness are obviously the answer to this problem. Up until now, I had been blissfully unaware of the hazard of being scammed by an infiltrator to this forum.

Naïve? Probably, but now I am fully clued up. Unfortunately my lesson has come at the expense of another members misery, and that's a shame.

19 minutes ago, SeaMonkey said:

Education and awareness are obviously the answer to this problem. Up until now, I had been blissfully unaware of the hazard of being scammed by an infiltrator to this forum.

Naïve? Probably, but now I am fully clued up. Unfortunately my lesson has come at the expense of another members misery, and that's a shame.

Good grief, it isn't about this forum; it's about people and life in general.

Give yourself a shake and then look in the mirror and give yourself a face slap.