Jump to content
UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts
RobinC

Limited re opening of Bisley from 23rd/24th of May

Recommended Posts

An email from the NRA a short while ago, Bisley will have limited opening on week ends only and electronics only from 23/24 May.

Details on the NRA website,  Bookings taken from Tuesday the 19th, and the procedures will be published on Mon the 18th.

Not for us,  we would not risk a Hotel yet, and a 400 mile around trip is a bit too far for a day trip,  but those of you who are local I suspect will be "breaking the fast"!

Have Fun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robin

I got the same email. It is on weekends only. I suspect the first few weekends will be a bit full regardless. The zero butts will be interesting. Like you, I will hold off even though I am only 40 mins away.

Shame there are no weekdays yet. I would have thought opening weekends only will have the place full making social distancing challenging.

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That point occurred to me, as well................it could be heaving, and will take some time to go through the signing in ritual, or whatever they've arranged to do instead.

Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh well, there's light on the horizon. I think they originally flagged an opening at the end of July or August if I remember correctly. (I'd hate to think all the golfers were getting the jump on us!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We'll have to wait until next Monday (18th) for the "procedures",  its initially only the "outdoor" ranges on Century and Stickledown, and we shoot 300 metre ISSF which is an indoor point, so I doubt that will not open for a while,  I have different sights this year so would have needed to visit the Zero, and I suspect that may be a risk and not open as well, but we'll have to see on Monday.

But its a start, and good news, just not for the wife and I!

I think the next two or three weeks will be crucial, the relaxations is a toe in the water, and will show where we stand with this, and it will either continue to diminish, or may even surge up again.

Stay safe everyone, and lets hope you can have Fun.

PS.  More details now on the NRA site, and the Zero is going to be open.

Robin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Re-Pete said:

That point occurred to me, as well................it could be heaving, and will take some time to go through the signing in ritual, or whatever they've arranged to do instead.

Pete

The que round Tesco car park springs to mind! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must admit to being baffled as to why they’ve chosen this route. It would have made more sense if they’d just opened up all ranges with every other target in use.

Social distancing would be achieved much better than a row of electronic targets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree Brillo, I did email them on this no response, wedging everyone into the small areas of the range seems to make no sense not that most of their decisions ever make sense. Also how many people will travel for an hours shooting. Hopefully sense will prevail at some point.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our club is trying to organise a shoot in very near future - will post the ‘experience’ if/when it happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d guess it’s an attempt to get maximum range use with minimum number of staff, allowing them to keep the max number on furlough. Though surely it wouldn’t take a great deal of effort to spread the electronics onto alternate firing points. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We don't know they haven't moved the electronics about keeping one lane free between each monitor.

I think they are being sensible about it, they have never done anything like this before and are treading lightly. Imagine if they opened it up to hundred plus shooters and their plans didn't quite work first time around, we're a miserable bunch (me) at the best of times :)

Im going to try and book a target for Saturday or Sunday and see how it goes. My only concern is set up time getting on and off the firing point with only 1 hour slots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still think the best thing to do , but maybe not on the first day of opening would be to open every other manual target but with private markers only. They have not moved any of the electronic targets according to the target nos on their website. There

r will be a setting and clearing away area behind each point. Also opening on certain weekdays to release pressure on weekend availability hopefully will come soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dorg said:

I still think the best thing to do , but maybe not on the first day of opening would be to open every other manual target but with private markers only. They have not moved any of the electronic targets according to the target nos on their website. There

r will be a setting and clearing away area behind each point. Also opening on certain weekdays to release pressure on weekend availability hopefully will come soon.

That would rely on private markers being available, willing and turning up.

The minute one doesn't turn up there are issues.

In the grand scheme of things it won't be long before normality returns, it just feels like it!

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They have also stated that they have adjusted the electronics and also moved some onto Short Siberia to allow different distances and maintaining social distancing. It was in an earlier email.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roy W said:

That would rely on private markers being available, willing and turning up.

The minute one doesn't turn up there are issues.

In the grand scheme of things it won't be long before normality returns, it just feels like it!

 

 

 

Using your own private markers means the NRA are not responsible for them and they are usually in a different league.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dorg said:

Using your own private markers means the NRA are not responsible for them and they are usually in a different league.

 

Ah, gotcha. Misunderstood. Thought you meant the NRA ones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

has anyone managed to book a slot?  I get a date is unavailable message so Im assuming its all fully booked?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, martin_b said:

 

has anyone managed to book a slot?  I get a date is unavailable message so Im assuming its all fully booked?

You need to go on stix elec sessions , you are trying to book the wrong target. I did the same.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am wanting to go back to work. In a direct email to me it was explained that Bisley was "concerned about social distancing in the butts". I didn't understand that. If every other target is used, that's plenty of room sideways. As to getting to a target, you can walk down the sand between the targets and sand bank. It's that simple. Bisley is treating us all like the under fives.

The person who emailed me has even, on occasion, been a private marker so it's not like they never saw the butts before. 

As far as I can tell it would be possible for me to do private marking whilst on furlough.

Oh and I have never let anyone down, not Bisley or a private client.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Private Marker said:

I am wanting to go back to work. In a direct email to me it was explained that Bisley was "concerned about social distancing in the butts". I didn't understand that. If every other target is used, that's plenty of room sideways. As to getting to a target, you can walk down the sand between the targets and sand bank. It's that simple. Bisley is treating us all like the under fives.

The person who emailed me has even, on occasion, been a private marker so it's not like they never saw the butts before. 

As far as I can tell it would be possible for me to do private marking whilst on furlough.

Oh and I have never let anyone down, not Bisley or a private client.

I think the NRA are just paying close attention to their duty of care. They are being responsible. Imagine teh outcry if they opened it up, someone caught the virus and died, then the family blamed the NRA. Their Risk Assessments would be scrutinised by Ambulance chasing solicitors in slow time.

The person who puts their name to the decisions is rightly being cautious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Private Marker has a point.................I planned to book two hours for myself and my partner, but it seems we'd not be allowed to both occupy the firing point at the same time and shoot in turn as we have in the past.

I can't see where this would contravene any of the "regulations" currently in force regarding social distancing, and yes, it does seem as though we're deemed irresponsible by default.

Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an aside, if I caught this disease, at my age, I am very aware that it could be pretty much game over.

So you betcha, I wouldn't be taking any chances.

Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose it's down to mitigation. If they do everything they can, then they can demonstrate due care. If they said 'you can shoot two to a lane with family members' imagine how convoluted it would all get. 

Personally I'll wait until some degree of normality returns. If you feel strongly enough, why not contact Andrew Mercer and tell him so, I'm sure he'll be in a better position to change things than strangers on a forum 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Private Marker said:

So what if that happens with the social distancing in place? There are no guarantees.

What did the NRA say when you asked them this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

RifleMags_200x100.jpg

Northallerton NSAC shooting.jpg

border_ballistics_UKV_ad.jpg

dolphin button4 (200x100).jpg

CASEPREP_FINAL_YELLOW_hi_res__200_.jpg

rovicom200.jpg

BHTargets200.jpg

Lumensmini.png

CALTON MOOR RANGE (2) (200x135).jpg

bradley1 200.jpg

NVstore200.jpg

Danny Trowsdale 200.png

safeshot 200.jpg

tacfire 200.jpg

blackrifle.png

jr_firearms_200.gif

valkyrie 200.jpg

tab 200.jpg

 

 



×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy