Outdoor sports update covid 19

Remmy308

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• People will also be free to sit in parks, and be able to "play sports" with people from the same household
  • But social distancing rules - keeping at least two metres away from people outside your household - must still be followed

shooting in fields on your own ..... maybe.

shooting at your club .............. no 

Our range has enough space to enable a 2m separation between shooters on the firing points and in the butts. It will mean having smaller details of shooters per time and swapping details more often but I'm sure we can cope with that if we can get out. 

My 2p worth is that if we can maintain distancing and contact hygiene on things like radios then we might be able to get going. Just my wishful thinking though. 

I know my golf club has a lot of areas where 2m distancing will be harder to maintain than the range does. 

Well let’s look forward to when we can resume competition and also when AGH’s reopen.....

11 hours ago, Remmy308 said:

So as of Wednesday you can play golf,go fishing and outdoor swimming

if you can do these sports then surely shooting is back on the cards.?

The 'advice' is you can play golf etc with members of your own household.  The new advice is as clear as mud.  I don't think many target shooting venues can be run with only members of the same household only.

I'm not expecting a return to target shooting anytime soon

I can't see any competitions being run, but I can see electronic targets being open for individual shooters and with Bisleys new range safety it's pretty easy to police. I would like to think the NRA are asking a lot of questions.

fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, Elwood said:

I can't see any competitions being run, but I can see electronic targets being open for individual shooters and with Bisleys new range safety it's pretty easy to police. I would like to think the NRA are asking a lot of questions.

fingers crossed.

Correct. From the NRA's facebook page

Maintaining social distancing is easier on some ranges than others, so we intend firstly to open weekends only on Century, Stickledown and Short Siberia rifle ranges (electronic targets only – we will install 6 shotmarkers on Short Siberia), booking targets by the hour for single firers. "

Not good news for me, or to those who don't like or can't use electronic targets. Also no dates as yet for reopening.

2 hours ago, Private Marker said:

Correct. From the NRA's facebook page

Maintaining social distancing is easier on some ranges than others, so we intend firstly to open weekends only on Century, Stickledown and Short Siberia rifle ranges (electronic targets only – we will install 6 shotmarkers on Short Siberia), booking targets by the hour for single firers. "

Not good news for me, or to those who don't like or can't use electronic targets. Also no dates as yet for reopening.

trust me I hate the electronics with a passion, and I doubt it will take long for me to be moaning about them and cursing them , but I will take it at the moment.

40 minutes ago, Private Marker said:

If you hate them, why use them? Using them implies you are happy with them. At least, tell Bisley you aren' t happy.

Trust me the NRA  know my feelings.

I use them because when they do work they are fantastic and  it's cheaper than a pulled target. I may only need the target for two hours doing some final load development and the price of a target and marker is to expensive as it can only be hired for AM and or PM sessions.

Given a disposable income I would have a pulled target and private marker such as yourself every single time.

Anyway lets keep the thread on topic and not move into the mire of electronic targets.

On 5/10/2020 at 10:39 PM, One on top of two said:

This is the bigger problem, the same will happen here .

people need to just chill the  F out  And not rush into something that we’re all no doubt going to regret 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52604676

Oh so true..

On 5/11/2020 at 9:21 AM, Popsbengo said:

The 'advice' is you can play golf etc with members of your own household.  The new advice is as clear as mud.  I don't think many target shooting venues can be run with only members of the same household only.

I'm not expecting a return to target shooting anytime soon

I watched the parliament debate yesterday afternoon followed by programs on different channels, which discussed the new ‘guidelines’. The disparate interpretations was truly staggering and it demonstrated that this elusive quality called common sense cannot be relied on.

Common sense says it should be easy to maintain social distancing with shooting but will it? I doubt it, so I’m going to patiently wait until it’s safe to do without depending on someone else’s common sense.

11 minutes ago, Brillo said:

I watched the parliament debate yesterday afternoon followed by programs on different channels, which discussed the new ‘guidelines’. The disparate interpretations was truly staggering and it demonstrated that this elusive quality called common sense cannot be relied on.

Common sense says it should be easy to maintain social distancing with shooting but will it? I doubt it, so I’m going to patiently wait until it’s safe to do without depending on someone else’s common sense.

Interesting.  I've just listened to 'real' people on Radio 4 talking about their experience and expectations - some vary variable 'common sense' from Joe Public.

I don't think it would be so hard to maintain social distancing at Bisley. Getting to and from a target can done along the sand between the targets and  sand bank. In the office, it's simple enough to keep your distance. Other than that I am 100s of metres away from the shooter!

I don't see that many people at work, a handful at most. Far less than I do in a supermarket.

I recommend a read of the Cabinet Office strategy document on the .gov.uk web site. I doubt many people will bother including media pundits and tv hosts with opinion.

It seems a logical and well formulated approach to me given the circumstances.

I think what Joe Public want, and possibly those like Piers Morgan want, is a very descriptive set of rules, where you don’t have to worry about such troubling and disturbing things as effing thinking it through yourself and making an effing decision!

On 5/11/2020 at 9:21 AM, Popsbengo said:

The 'advice' is you can play golf etc with members of your own household.  The new advice is as clear as mud.

The new advice is that you can play golf (as an example) with members of your own household OR one person from outside your household providing you maintain 2m distance. 

Here is the wording from the 50 page guidance document - bold text appears in the original document and not where I've chosen to highlight.

as well as exercise, people can now also spend time outdoors subject to: not meeting up with any more than one person from outside your household; continued compliance with social distancing guidelines to remain two metres (6ft) away from people outside your household; good hand hygiene, particularly with respect to shared surfaces; and those responsible for public places being able to put appropriate measures in place to follow the new COVID-19 Secure guidance.

People may exercise outside as many times each day as they wish. For example, this would include angling and tennis. You will still not be able to use areas like playgrounds, outdoor gyms or ticketed outdoor leisure venues, where there is a higher risk of close contact and touching surfaces. You can only exercise with up to one person from outside your household – this means you should not play team sports, except with members of your own household.

People may drive to outdoor open spaces irrespective of distance, so long as they respect social distancing guidance while they are there, because this does not involve contact with people outside your household.

33 minutes ago, dashed said:

The new advice is that you can play golf (as an example) with members of your own household OR one person from outside your household providing you maintain 2m distance. 

Here is the wording from the 50 page guidance document - bold text appears in the original document and not where I've chosen to highlight.

as well as exercise, people can now also spend time outdoors subject to: not meeting up with any more than one person from outside your household; continued compliance with social distancing guidelines to remain two metres (6ft) away from people outside your household; good hand hygiene, particularly with respect to shared surfaces; and those responsible for public places being able to put appropriate measures in place to follow the new COVID-19 Secure guidance.

People may exercise outside as many times each day as they wish. For example, this would include angling and tennis. You will still not be able to use areas like playgrounds, outdoor gyms or ticketed outdoor leisure venues, where there is a higher risk of close contact and touching surfaces. You can only exercise with up to one person from outside your household – this means you should not play team sports, except with members of your own household.

People may drive to outdoor open spaces irrespective of distance, so long as they respect social distancing guidance while they are there, because this does not involve contact with people outside your household.

yes, thanks, I've downloaded and read the Gov paper.  Busy thinking through how we might reopen one of our outdoor ranges

1 hour ago, SMLE said:

I recommend a read of the Cabinet Office strategy document on the .gov.uk web site. I doubt many people will bother including media pundits and tv hosts with opinion.

I think what Joe Public want, and possibly those like Piers Morgan want, is a very descriptive set of rules, where you don’t have to worry about such troubling and disturbing things as effing thinking it through yourself and making an effing decision!

Yikes, I listened to Piers (Screech) Morgan the following morning and was nothing short of painful. He is so full of his own opinions that he can’t see anything other than himself.

He may be correct in one or two things but I can’t stand his voice anymore. 

When he yelled that we (the country) had allowed 18 million people to fly into the UK since lockdown I had to switch the TV off. He just throws numbers in the air and expects us to accept it.

1 hour ago, SMLE said:

I read it as soon as I could find it. Unfortunately, Boris made his announcement before the document was completed, let alone published.

That is a fact, not conjecture, and I find it strange that he did that.