I don't even know what to say...

MarinePMI

On 5/7/2020 at 4:46 PM, brown dog said:

All getting a bit unecessarily nasty, I would say. Shall we all have a spoonful of sugar and calm down a bit?

Is it just me that I find Mary Poppins sexually attractive and I would 'give her some sugar.'    Ok just me then!

An old keeper pal of mine, worked on the estate, where he was raised, and was constantly getting in bother, for taking Harry out lamping, because he loved it.

If other men did half the charitable work he has, the world would be a different place.

The general public have become a somewhat easily led bunch, especially by the gutter press, who can report on anyone in such a positive way their popularity soars,, and then equally  in an instant, destroy them. 

news / media,  isn't about "fact" anymore, its careful and calculated manipulation of the masses to prevent them from thinking for themselves.

and of course those who stand to gain the most from this phenomenon can feed the media the appropriate information to achieve almost any ends, good or bad. 

37 minutes ago, Reloader54 said:

The general public have become a somewhat easily led bunch, especially by the gutter press, who can report on anyone in such a positive way their popularity soars,, and then equally  in an instant, destroy them. 

news / media,  isn't about "fact" anymore, its careful and calculated manipulation of the masses to prevent them from thinking for themselves.

and of course those who stand to gain the most from this phenomenon can feed the media the appropriate information to achieve almost any ends, good or bad. 

I get what you're saying and agree in part however there's a big generalisation there.  There are plenty of media outlets that do try to remain factual in reporting news - New York Times, Washington Post, The Times, BBC etc.  I don't doubt there's bias in editorial comment however I think any intelligent person would know that and apply their own biases (we all do it).

The problem is in the sensationalist treatment of factual news to give a slant that's unfair (on all sides of the political spectrum) in populist rags and media like The Daily Flail, The Scum, Fox "News".  I would half add The Guardian to the biased list, they can do excellent reporting however I'm heartily sick of the WOKE agenda popular among the chattering classes.

A bigger problem is the unmediated nonsense peddled on YouTube and Facebook; again, there's some good stuff but it hides in the shadows of "alternative facts" peddled by crackpots and political extremists.  That's where a real danger lies.  The answer? I don't have any however more skepticism please when reading/viewing anything:  who is telling me? why are they telling me that? what's their motivation? what's the alternative views?

The public have been 'coached' for years (for under 40's - all their lives) to believe any old twiddle the marketing men can devise.  They bombard us with bull shine and create angst to get the sheeple to buy the latest shiny thing that's immediately out of date. "Celebrity" culture is another example of popular manipulation.

Harry has my sympathy, he didn't ask to be born into the mad house of the Windsors (Mrs Windsor excepted Ma'm). He has done his bit,  however he's made some stupid decisions.  I hope he gets by ok and his kid doesn't fall into the same sh1t as he had to endure.

1 minute ago, Popsbengo said:

I get what you're saying and agree in part however there's a big generalisation there.  There are plenty of media outlets that do try to remain factual in reporting news - New York Times, Washington Post, The Times, BBC etc.  I don't doubt there's bias in editorial comment however I think any intelligent person would know that and apply their own biases (we all do it).

The problem is in the sensationalist treatment of factual news to give a slant that's unfair (on all sides of the political spectrum) in populist rags and media like The Daily Flail, The Scum, Fox "News".  I would half add The Guardian to the biased list, they can do excellent reporting however I'm heartily sick of the WOKE agenda popular among the chattering classes.

A bigger problem is the unmediated nonsense peddled on YouTube; again, there's some good stuff but it hides in the shadows of "alternative facts" peddled by crackpots and political extremists.  That's where a real danger lies.  The answer? I don't have any however more skepticism please when reading/viewing anything:  who is telling me? why are they telling me that? what's their motivation? what's the alternative views?

The public have been 'coached' for years (for under 40's - all their lives) to believe any old twiddle the marketing men can devise.  They bombard us with bull shine and create angst to get the sheeple to buy the latest shiny thing that's immediately out of date. "Celebrity" culture is another example of popular manipulation.

Harry has my sympathy, he didn't ask to be born into the mad house of the Windsors (Mrs Windsor excepted Ma'm). He has done his bit,  however he's made some stupid decisions.  I hope he gets by ok and his kid doesn't fall into the same sh1t as he had to endure.

BBC and factual in the same sentance   now there is a leap of faith

It's worth considering that media outlets that do have some integrity, and there are some, wouldn't even consider this trivial tripe to be of any interest to anyone.................

Pete

We are getting a bit off OP but I’d actually  think I’d put Al Jazeera above BBC, but there are very few  media groups (if any) who are not doing things for a personal gain/agenda of some sort or another, pretty much like any/all politicians etc.

e.g the either scripted or stoooopid questions put to the three stooges each day re. C-19, FFS do they really think the public are that dense - or perhaps they do?

Do not trust any of them, with anything.

T

38 minutes ago, terryh said:

We are getting a bit off OP but I’d actually  think I’d put Al Jazeera above BBC, but there are very few  media groups (if any) who are not doing things for a personal gain/agenda of some sort or another, pretty much like any/all politicians etc.

e.g the either scripted or stoooopid questions put to the three stooges each day re. C-19, FFS do they really think the public are that dense - or perhaps they do?

T

Guys Im not a journalist but ive spent 40 odd years working in Newspapers and TV all over the world and compared to some we have a pretty free and impartial press!

8 hours ago, Dellboy said:

Just suppose the stories arent true.

Just suppose he has decided he doesnt want to shoot anymore (peoples ideas change on this and other forums) .

Hadn't thought of that.

Perhaps he's making room in the cabinet and generating funds for all the ARs and pistols he can buy now.

1 hour ago, terryh said:

T

1 hour ago, terryh said:

T

I remember the latest election and the comments made by Rebecca Long Bailey that perhaps the Labour Party were not talking in simple language that the  electorate could understand.....let that one sink in....not a pop at Labour in particular but if ever there was an example of the contempt the elite hold for Joe public that was a belter...

27 minutes ago, gazzarM1 said:

I remember the latest election and the comments made by Rebecca Long Bailey that perhaps the Labour Party were not talking in simple language that the  electorate could understand.....let that one sink in....not a pop at Labour in particular but if ever there was an example of the contempt the elite hold for Joe public that was a belter...

You are right but what's that got to do with reporting or indeed the OP ?

2 hours ago, terryh said:

T

2 hours ago, terryh said:

T

3 hours ago, martin_b said:

Guys Im not a journalist but ive spent 40 odd years working in Newspapers and TV all over the world and compared to some we have a pretty free and impartial press!

...apologies in advance about going off piste but...

Martin,

I actually do not care about the rest of the World’s media (I know it overlaps a bit internationally) I’d just like, and being really naive here, a press that dug into and reported the truth with no spin or agenda so ‘we’ can make our own decisions/views and politicians who are not bought and paid for.

I know the first is never going to happen and examples of the corruption in the second

HS2 - people I know in the industry who’d actually build such a thing can not see where the figures are coming from i.e. lot of folks with noses in the trough.

Hinkley point - FFS who agreed to go with the Chinese/EDF’s design when the French one is currently (NB ‘currently’!!) 7 years behind schedule and 3 times the original cost (also think there is a Finnish one in the same boat?) again - follow the money!

It is all a joke and the older I get the more I realise it is - very frustrating.

now, back to our normal scheduling.... 😁

On 5/8/2020 at 12:44 PM, That bald headed Geordie said:

Is it just me that I find Mary Poppins sexually attractive and I would 'give her some sugar.'    Ok just me then!

Its not just you good sir.