Vortex PST Gen 2 tracking

Trigger73

I bought a PST 5x25 Gen 2 in FFP on the strength of positive feedback from our members after a thread I started a couple of weeks ago.  Bought it in mint condition from a fellow poster on this forum. 

Due to lock down I've not been able to use it but earlier today I mounted and levelled the scope in a Tier One saddle but noticed the flowing... 

I had the mag set on full and whilst turning the dial on the elevation Turret I noticed that as I dialled down to the zero stop and back up again after it reached the stop, the reticle would move diagonally ever such a small amount, always the same direction. 

Once it got past the initial 3 to 4 clicks it would straighten out. 

When mounting scopes I clamp the rifle pretty solid and use bubble levels to make sure it doesn't move then tighten down to the specific torque settings using my digital wheeler fat wrench. 

Could the reticle shift have something to do with the zero stop and should I be concerned as obviously in the current climate I can't go out to test the tracking. 

Thanks. 

I don't think the zero stop should (nor could) induce this problem.

If you remove the zero stop or reset it at a different point in the range of elevation travel, does the problem persist in the same manner?

Is your windage near either extreme of adjustment?

Is your zero stop set to be near the absolute minimum of elevation adjustment?

If your zero stop is at or very near minimum elevation (usually only the case with steeply angled bases or rings for long range but still zeroing at 100m) you might see this phenomenon. 

If in doubt, contact Vortex UK and they will sort you out (quickly, under normal circumstances), UK distributor below:

Chris

Country Sports Wholesale Ltd

Manor Farm
Chapel Street
Hinxworth
Hertfordshire
SG7 5HN

Tel: ‪01462 743223

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, markymark said:

“Specific torque setting” is that as per ring manufacture or vortex scope recommendations? 

Some of the newer vortex come with quite low suggested torque values approx 17-18 in/lbs

torque is an indirect measure of tension in the bolts and therefore pressure exerted on the scope tube.  Vortex know there product so I would go with their recommendation.  If you are worried about the cope moving, a little violin bow rosin powder on the inside of the rings will increase the friction.

Yeah that’s my point. Lots of people had issues while torquing up the rings to 20-25in/lbs as per ring manufacturers instructions .
Vortex used to have a slip in the box telling you the value needed. If it’s secondhand it might not be included. The newer vortex scopes are listing the recommended value in their manual now to stop this issue. Plenty of users have fixed there reticle or tracking issues based on just dialing back down to circa 17in/lbs. 

I would check this before anything else. If you do have a problem, thankfully it will be sorted by their excellent warranty.