Remington 700 in .308

Just a thought but we talk a lot about Custom rifles but how many shooters on the forum own and shoot a Remington in competition lets say up to 600yrds with accuracy and how this compares to a custom rifle the reason i ask mainly is because it seems to me most custom action seem to be based around a Remington clone in one way or another we know the custom rifle so called holds it value better where led to believe than a Remington will always be a Remington value wise but forget the after sales value how do they compare in a competition at the same distance thanks

Are talking about building a custom rifle for say F Class around a standard Remington action rather than using a custom action of similar proportions? 

If you were building say a lightweight tactical rifle, then the std. Remmy action will likely serve you well. However, if you want to hang a heavy 30 inch barrel off the relatively flimsy Remmy (massive ejection-pot & mag feed cut-out) for F Class then maybe not - especially if you are looking for sub half MOA accuracy. 

Not a good idea to build your custom rifle around something which may not then live up to expectations.  One option used to involve stiffening the action with a glued on aluminium sleeve but add that to the cost of a bit of accurising and you're in the realms of a custom action price-wise. (See attached pic).

Yes - you will hear all the "my mate had a Remmy that'd put 'em all down one hole bla bla bla."  But why take the chance? 

Keep your eye on the 'sales' section - there are some absolute bargains to be had on custom rifles ordered on a whim and "only fired 200 rounds...".

I know of at least two benchrest rifles built on custom actions by top 'smiths going for £1500 c/w Jewel trigger - just need a new barrel to suit your chosen discipline. Check out Brian Fox's stock - you're not too far from Diggle.

1000 shoot 001.jpg

1 hour ago, gunnery said:

Just a thought but we talk a lot about Custom rifles but how many shooters on the forum own and shoot a Remington in competition lets say up to 600yrds with accuracy and how this compares to a custom rifle the reason i ask mainly is because it seems to me most custom action seem to be based around a Remington clone in one way or another we know the custom rifle so called holds it value better where led to believe than a Remington will always be a Remington value wise but forget the after sales value how do they compare in a competition at the same distance thanks

I think there is a lot more important aspects that go into building an accurate rifle than the action but if you have a bad action then the gun will always be bad no matter what else you do. Thankfully bad action are rare.

Although dad actions are rare they do exist from time to time, its usually more to do with inconsistent ignition than trueness and it can be very difficult to identify. I have also read about inconsistent custom actions that with fairly simple testing were established as the problem and with a small amount of work could be remedied. Ive shot with both custom and modified factory actions in long range benchrest and I couldn't split the two in terms of accuracy or results.

Of course the term accurate is also a bit of a loose term as accuracy in PRL or FClass is different to Benchrest.

There are lots of things that go into the mix when it comes to accuracy, the barrel, the person who chambered it and built the gun, the stock, the bedding, the trigger, the load development and then the shooter himself on the day. All of these things are more important in my opinion than the action itself if its known to be good. Exactly what difference if any a custom action would bring to the same rifle (all other things being equal) is hard to say.

That said when your going to invest heavily in time, money and effort to shoot competitively the difference between using a Rem700 action and a top quality custom action might be £1000 or approx 25% of the total build cost. In my experience most people will go the custom route just to apply the belt and braces approach to what they are doing. As Vince rightly says, if you can pic up a decent second hand custom action its makes the cost differential much smaller.

However, if your budget only runs to a factory action then dont let that stop you competing. Try and find someone to build you a gun that wont play the action snobbery card and will help you get the best they can out of your budget.

Hi Mate nice to here from you yah let my ticket run out have to go through all the that which promotes growth and vigour again but i ended up missing rifling just going to buy factory remy shoot off harriss bipod max 600yrd comps or what ever rifle comes along .308 for ftr again keep in touch 

Hi Gunnery,

I don't know if you'll be interested in a Savage or not but 25dynod has a .308 ftr model going in the sales section, along with a Savage 6br benchrest model. I think it's titled "items for sale updated list". He's used both at the Gelston 1000yd range and I can vouch for their accuracy and can provide the group sizes for them from my scorer records if you'd like.

Regards

David