270 win vs 6.5x55

Guest northernchris
Now I understand, shot placement eh,

good shotplacement then a 6.5 is ok. wow

A 223 is ok for any deer with good shot placement, we just use

larger because good shot placement does not always happen.

Hands up who always has good shot placement and can therefore use a weaker caliber.

Or does it not matter so much if one slips up once in a while.

edi

ps,

I have shot at running game in the past and have had not perfect shot placements,

glad I had a decent caliber and bullet.

Here this was posted 1st time round then the PS was added.

Never mind Tim all is becoming apparent :D:rolleyes:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here this was posted 1st time round then the PS was added.

Never mind Tim all is becoming apparent ;):rolleyes:

Are you losing the plot :D:P:lol:

That post was obviously edited by the author not any of the moderators or it would say edited by ............

:lol::lol:

Guest northernchris

DID I SAY YOU HAD TIM no but game playing is getting boring,just because you have a mod whinging behind closed doors get it all out in the open so we can see everybodys colours :rolleyes:

Your inference was that the moderating team were editing posts hence the "are we on deertalking" line :D

It turned out that Edi added the ps himself to give a bit more information.Nothing to do with any "big brother" theory that you tried to infer :P

Now as you seem to be in the know about what the moderators discuss :rolleyes: you should also know that the concerns about using match ammo and running deer have stayed on the thread because they were relevent and can be taken in context

I suggest that you check your source again :lol:

Guest northernchris

I didnt know anything about the running deer bit as like i said it was added afterwards.

As for infering "if the cap fits" :D Tim chill and pull your neck in its cold out wouldnt want you getting a chill :rolleyes:

over and out....................

I didnt know anything about the running deer bit as like i said it was added afterwards.

As for infering "if the cap fits" :lol: Tim chill and pull your neck in its cold out wouldnt want you getting a chill :rolleyes:

over and out....................

You`ve just edited your last post :D:P

Christ, I didn't know that this debate will get so complicated?

I still think most deer stalkers are either not into handloading

or mostly not into handloding over recomended limits.

So for the deer stalker who does not hand load and needs factory ammo

what could he expect with a 6.5 swede.

Remmy 140gr SP 2550 fps (website)

Federal 140gr SP 2650fps

All very low compared to factory 270 ammo.

Norma: the much recomended 120gr Nos BT 2822fps with BC of 0.431

Norma: 308 150gr Nos BT 2822fps with a BC of 0.435

No matter at what distance, the 308 arrives at about the same speed but with 30 grains

more oompf and makes a 38% bigger hole. (More energy and can also transform it better)

Now that is why I thought it might kill better. Is it not so??

edi

Guest northernchris

Edi you know what this is just going around in circles,you stick to your .308 (and your .22-250) and i will use my stick of choice.

Edi if you are going to quote bc figures get um right else you will look a cock :P

.264/6.5mm 120gr Nosler BT = .458

.30/7.62mm 125 gr Nosler BT = .366 :rolleyes:

So both bullets running at say 2900 fps have at end of barrel produce =

6.5 =2240 ftlb

.30 =2334 ftlb

100 yrds

6.5= 1937 ftlb -8 ftlb under .308

.30=1945 ftlb

200yrds

6.5= 1669 ftlb +60 ftlb over .308

.30= 1609 ftlb

300yrds

6.5=1430 ftlb +109 ftlb over .308

.30=1321 ftlb

400yrds

6.5= 1219 ftlb +143 ftlb over .308

.30= 1076 ftlb

500yrds

6.5=1034 ftlb +165 ftlb over .308

.30= 869 ftlb

Shall i carry on??...........................didnt think so,:D

ps DONT GO AND EDIT YOUR THREAD NOW EDI :lol:

Your'e right Chris,

Norma also seems to have it wrong. I should have checked. sorry

Norma

Funny, Federal also have the BC value for the 120gr BT wrong, they stated 0.417 ??

Any changes lately?

Anyway if you compare the corrected bc of the 120gr 6.5 at realistic 2822fps and

a standard 150gr 308 BT at the same realistic speed you will see that it takes ages

for the 6.5 to catch up.

My issue with the 6.5 was more related to heavy bullets at slow speed that are possibly

made more for elk and lead to over penetration and less instant killing.

When one buys a swede here in Ireland we would mostly have the following options on ammo:

156gr lapua mega around 2450 fps

140gr federal 2650fps (they are not that bad if the rifle likes em)

140gr rem PSP 2550 fps

140gr winchester x 2550fps

120gr nos bt norma. 2822fps

Maybe you have a better choice.

edi

Guest northernchris

Cheers Edi

Norma do 5 different rnds according to their site which to be honest looking at them they seem to have pretty much all situations covered.

That said a fast varminting round which uses 45gr of N150 behind a 100 Nosler for 3200 fps dont half make a good job on charlie.

Compare the 6.5 with 120gr and the .308 with 150gr still shows the swede isnt such a lightweight.

Anyways you old Paddy ###### you can show me how well your .308 can kill when i am over and i will bring the Swede just for the crack :lol:

Cheers Chris :o

Cheers Edi

Norma do 5 different rnds according to their site which to be honest looking at them they seem to have pretty much all situations covered.

That said a fast varminting round which uses 45gr of N150 behind a 100 Nosler for 3200 fps dont half make a good job on charlie.

Compare the 6.5 with 120gr and the .308 with 150gr still shows the swede isnt such a lightweight.

Anyways you old Paddy ###### you can show me how well your .308 can kill when i am over and i will bring the Swede just for the crack :lol:

Cheers Chris :o

Better hurry up,

only got this month left.

Had a very interesting season so far with very close shots in the forest and very long shot's that I rather not mention.

I'm not that hung up on a 308, what would interest me more would be an ultra light accurate 7-08

I'm getting older.

Light and accurate is an interesting contradiction and challenge.

edi

Better hurry up,

Had a very interesting season so far with very close shots in the forest and very long shot's that I rather not mention.

I'm not that hung up on a 308, what would interest me more would be an ultra light accurate 7-08

I'm getting older.

edi

Sounds like you're ready for a real deer calibre then edi.....

.243 :o

Huntsman,

I will try to share my experience with a Blaser LRS2 in 6.5x55 (the PH with match barrel would have the same 627mm barrel). Also I have played with a Blaser Pro Hunter in 6.5x55 with short barrel - very handy.

Rifles: plus side include accurate, quick change barrel - on the Blaser 6.5x55 uses the same collet / head size as 308 Win and 6mm BR so only a barrel and possibly mag is needed to change cals. Minus the action was in practice not faster than a normal bolt action - ergonomics of the thing did not suit me. Also it went click not bang a few times - it never went kaboom but that was always in the back of my mind, think about a case rupture - gasses can get either side of the collets - it may be possible under some circumstances for such gasses to compress the collets (whilst at the same time the case head itself is trying to expand the collet). That is conjecture. I would not have one again.

6.5x55, my experience (had it for a couple of years) was limited to 139 grain scenars and hand loads (this may not be applicable to you in Ireland). As you mention target shooting also - it will piss all over 308 Win any day. that is in terms of wind drift, energy, drop etc from 300m. It will and did hold its own at 1000m. For target shooting a nice case 26 degree shoulder, long neck, enough powder room - draw backs are case head size and not really a true short or long action - both of them points are moot in a Blaser.

The 270 Win and hunting debate I have no experience of.

Hope it helps a bit,

David.

Better hurry up,

I'm getting older.

edi

john greene waterford has one built on a 700 action, a mc ultra lite stock looks nice if you like that sorta thing .

Huntsman,

I will try to share my experience with a Blaser LRS2 in 6.5x55 (the PH with match barrel would have the same 627mm barrel). Also I have played with a Blaser Pro Hunter in 6.5x55 with short barrel - very handy.

Rifles: plus side include accurate, quick change barrel - on the Blaser 6.5x55 uses the same collet / head size as 308 Win and 6mm BR so only a barrel and possibly mag is needed to change cals. Minus the action was in practice not faster than a normal bolt action - ergonomics of the thing did not suit me. Also it went click not bang a few times - it never went kaboom but that was always in the back of my mind, think about a case rupture - gasses can get either side of the collets - it may be possible under some circumstances for such gasses to compress the collets (whilst at the same time the case head itself is trying to expand the collet). That is conjecture. I would not have one again.

6.5x55, my experience (had it for a couple of years) was limited to 139 grain scenars and hand loads (this may not be applicable to you in Ireland). As you mention target shooting also - it will piss all over 308 Win any day. that is in terms of wind drift, energy, drop etc from 300m. It will and did hold its own at 1000m. For target shooting a nice case 26 degree shoulder, long neck, enough powder room - draw backs are case head size and not really a true short or long action - both of them points are moot in a Blaser.

Hope it helps a bit,

David.

where is paracetamol

Huntsman,

Hope it helps a bit,

David.

David

Thanks for you views, the click no bang seems to be a common enough problem with blasers and an unacceptable one. I in no rush to decide so will see whats out there. I just liked the blaser overall package and left handed option.

dave

Archived