270 win vs 6.5x55

Guest northernchris

Andrew

It wasnt a dig mate,the lads i have had out from your side of the water liked to place the bullet high which would normaly drop em like a stone as the spinal cord had been broken.What i ment was with any cal ,a shot in the heart/lung area will not drop them on the spot (ie will run a short distance) same as one to the walnut or the withers.

Bambi

Having shot more deer than the average bear over the last 20 odd years professionally and for fun/table, this is just my take on the job,but hay cant compete with all of the keyboard experts ;)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Andrew I know you are 6.5X55 fan but the Lee second Edition quotes 3234pfs max' for a 270 with 130gn bullets I think your are stretching things a bit calling that a touch over 3000fps. ;) seeing that the 270 is 86 years old I wonder if you threw away the manual how much more velocity you could get out of it? Seeing it has 10gns of powder more than the Swede. ;)

If you are pushing a 6.5X55 to the max' and over, surely you are losing that mild recoiling cartridge a lot of 6.5X55 owners rave about, and if you want that cartridge to perform like a 270 why not just go and buy one?

Best rgds

B-b

Fan?? I only own eleven of them! That makes me just a curious admirer.

You are right. I sleepily started looking at the top of the second page of data for the 130 grain 270, not the first. In any event, it all matters little. The shooter must be able to shoot and if so, they will kill. Velocity doesn't do it.

As to loading the 6.5 hotter... I don't notice the recoil of anything I hunt with; at least not during a shot at game. I am far too focused on the job at hand. I do own a lot of 6.5's but I only shoot two of them. The others are collector's items. I like the 6.5 because I like efficient cartridges. I do not usually care for "over bore" cartridges... like the .25-06 and the 270.( though I confess to owning a 6.5-06 that I do like) As I said earlier, the 6.5 can be tweaked. Evidence of that might be in that comment I made about Federal Cartridge one time loading a 140 at 2840 fps. It was a hot load, for sure, but it worked. I gave my Model 70 to my son but should I run across a CZ or BRNO in 6.5x55 I will certainly pounce on it and squeeze the juice out of it.~Andrew

PS: The 270 has always been chambered for modern rifles with a SAAMI max pressure of 52CUP. No one has ever found the need to "down load" it so I think the data -which runs at 60K pSI is probably realistic.

Bambi

Having shot more deer than the average bear over the last 20 odd years professionally and for fun/table, this is just my take on the job,but hay cant compete with all of the keyboard experts :blush:

Chris

I don't claim to be a expert, just a leisure stalker, but I have a understanding of physics, if one cartridge is bigger and capable of handling more pressure than the other then it will be more powerful than the smaller one. ;) Chris are my posts are raising questions that you don’t like so you are trying to make it personal?

Andrew

The 6.5-06 is so similar to both the 25-06 and 270 that it makes your dislike of these cartridges is illogical. ;)

I looked at a 6.5-06 I liked it :lol: , easy conversion to do to a old 270/25-06 stalking rifle, but felt than when shooting aboard that getting ammo would be a issue. I agree about the recoil when shooting deer you never feel it, then with a moddy on it is a pussy cat on the range too.

Best rgds

B-b

Guest northernchris

Nothing personal Mate :lol:;);) Where am i getting personal?

I am,like i have already said passing on what i have learned from HANDS ON EXPERIENCE. I have had all manor of calibres including .270 and my own personal choice for UK stalking is the Swede.

Kev tell why the 55 is so popular in europe then if the .270 is the be all and end all?

To be honest this is going around in circles............i like what i like and you and like what you like.Lets just agree to disagree.

PS weather looks good for stalking 2moz :blush:

Nothing personal Mate ;) Kev tell why the 55 is so popular in europe then if the .270 is the be all and end all?

6.5X55 is so popular in Europe because many years ago when it was the service calibre for the Scandinavian forces it was made the minimum calibre for Moose, if the service arm had been chambered in 7.5X54 MAS or 8X57 then that would have been made the min’ for Moose and things might be different. :blush:

To be honest this is going around in circles............i like what i like and you and like what you like.Lets just agree to disagree.

I try to look at calibres rationally, I know the 270 has its limitations and there are other calibres I admire even 6.5mm ones and if I were to have a Swede I would run it on 120gns as you do as I think its case capacity allows it to push these hard where once you start to look at heavy bullets its lack of case capacity starts to show.

PS weather looks good for stalking 2moz ;)

Got a nice fell run in the morning, 5 hills it should take us about 2 hours then a quick bit of lunch and a new bit of land to look at I have just picked up local to me. I have been told there have 60% damage to the new plant, should provide a chance to try the new gun on that it is not a 270. :lol:

Yes Chris we can agree to disagree.

All the Best

Kev

Guest northernchris

"6.5X55 is so popular in Europe because many years ago when it was the service calibre for the Scandinavian forces"

So was there only Scandinavian forces that had arms,what about the rest of europe??

Yep lets agree to disagree (even though your wrong) ;)

PS i run my Swede on 120gr or 123gr Bullets ;)

"6.5X55 is so popular in Europe because many years ago when it was the service calibre for the Scandinavian forces"

No, it is because many years ago it was made the Min' for Moose by the Scandinavians who just happened to have 6.5X55 service arms. ;)

Are we arguing over 3gn now, I hope they are expanding section 5 123gn bullets :blush:

Being a expert what do you recon' to 60% damage to new plant, sounds a bit excessive ;) (bullsh1t) to me.

Best rgds

B-b

I'm not sure about the lack of knock down of the 6.5. My old mentor shot a Red Hummel with his last year and it did run quite a way, but its heart was like soup when we opened it up! He uses 160grn RN, not sure what make. They do more than enough damage to bring most things down. I shoot 130grn Barnes TSX through mine and although I haven't had a great deal of experience with it yet, I haven't had a runner with it.

Guest northernchris

No expert me gov,just done abit ;) Never seen much more than 40% i have seen way over 60% damage on 6 month old plantings that were not tubed/protected from rabbits .

Yep 123gr Expanding bullets they work a treat ;)

Guest northernchris
I'm not sure about the lack of knock down of the 6.5. My old mentor shot a Red Hummel with his last year and it did run quite a way, but its heart was like soup when we opened it up! He uses 160grn RN, not sure what make. They do more than enough damage to bring most things down. I shoot 130grn Barnes TSX through mine and although I haven't had a great deal of experience with it yet, I haven't had a runner with it.

160gr round nose ;) great for drilling through heavey stuff .

http://www.norma.cc/content.asp?Typ=40&amp...and%20expansion

think that says it pretty well ;)

Chris

Andrew

The 6.5-06 is so similar to both the 25-06 and 270 that it makes your dislike of these cartridges is illogical. ;)

I looked at a 6.5-06 I liked it ;) , easy conversion to do to a old 270/25-06 stalking rifle, but felt than when shooting aboard that getting ammo would be a issue. I agree about the recoil when shooting deer you never feel it, then with a moddy on it is a pussy cat on the range too.

Best rgds

B-b

Hey I liked my Ex wife, too, and that wasn't logical either! :blush:

I like the 6.5-06 for different reasons. More sentimental than anything else. I made this when I was apprenticing with a gunsmith I liked and admired. HE liked the 6.5-06 more than I, and I liked him immensely. When he said I should build myself one I took his advice. I restocked it a long while ago with plans to give it to a friend of mine in South Dakota but I have never quite gotten around to getting it done. I have thought of pulling the excellent barrel on it and fiting it to an FN Supreme action I have as a 6.5x55. Luckily, I have a few other rifles I can dote on so I leave in it's case in the far back of the vault where it is beyond my likes and dislikes.~Andrew

All I did was ask a simple question and all hell broke loose !! ;), hope you're all still talking? :blush: Thanks for all the input, good ol' debate.

Anyway from my point of view I'm going to stick with the 6.5 for another bit. I have only once had the runner problem that some have experienced, that one was my fault -bad placement ;) . I was beaten by the light and I had left the dog at home, but found it next morning 30 yards from the shot in the woods. :lol:

Thanks all

Dave

Then you think, "how the hell did I not see it when it was so close" ;)

Calibre debate;

get what YOU want, they all do pretty much the same job.

Lots of decent reasoning and rational argument for's and against etc etc, ive shot 270 , 6.5mm, 7mm and 30's extensively on deer.

They all leave a hole, they all damage meat to a degree,

shot placement is all.

Now I understand, shot placement eh,

good shotplacement then a 6.5 is ok. wow

A 223 is ok for any deer with good shot placement, we just use

larger because good shot placement does not always happen.

Hands up who always has good shot placement and can therefore use a weaker caliber.

Or does it not matter so much if one slips up once in a while.

edi

ps,

I have shot at running game in the past and have had not perfect shot placements,

glad I had a decent caliber and bullet.

As I said Chris if one can be 100% sure on shot placement then even a 223 is strong enough

and in our case a 22-250 as the smallest legal caliber. Yes, I've shot deer with one.

Let's look at another perspective,

how good of a shot is the average European deer stalker?? not you 1000yd fellas

how good is the lower third of European stalkers????

how high is the chance of good shot placement??? 90 %???? more ? or less?

Now, don't we give a toss about the lower end?

If one has a choice I would rather advise a beginner to go for a 308 than a 6.5.

Chances are that the wound channel will be larger on the deer we shoot, the chaces are

higher to upset the spine even if missed by and inch or so. Chances are that a gut

shot deer will bleed to death slightly quicker.

Look at ammo producers, the 6.5 is somewhat exotic and the ammo choice of 308 / 30-06

can not be matched, meaning one might have to compromise.

These are the reasons why I would generally rather advise something with a bit

more knock down power.

This all has nothing to do with huntsman, he is a very good shot and could like many

other experts use a swede very effectively.

edi

I think Andrew’s post about liking his ex-wife is an apt one with regards to calibre discussion. People own a certain calibre, maybe they shot their first deer with it or even a lot of deer with it, and it is their chosen calibre, they believe it is the best because it is theirs. Rational goes out the window, love is blind as they say. :wacko:

If Andrew admits he can’t be logical in his choice of calibre you can see how less experienced shooters fall into this trap.

One point to bear in mind when you look at the B.C. of bullets, as the more experienced know, the faster you drive your bullet the better its BC will be. There for if one bullet gives a BC of .500 and another of .480 but the second bullet is being driven 400fps quicker its BC will be better than the first bullet in the real world.

I am sure Huntsman has done the right thing keeping his 6.5X55, so long as he spends the money he has saved on more bullets to practice with, rather than waste it on the women in his life. :blink:;)

Best grds

B-b

Guest northernchris

This is all very grown up posts been removed and edited :wacko: Thought we where on Deertalking for a minute.

I wont bother carrying on with the discussion,someone must have thrown thier toys out of the pram :blink: DIDUMS

I seem to be joining this debate a little late but, what the hell. I'm gonna chuck my 2cents in anyway.

I have a 6.5x55 and a .270win and I use them both for deer stalking.

I mainly shoot Fallow dear and the occasional roe, muntie, red.

I have used both calibres for all of those species and in terms of what killed what quickest well, there is not a lot in it.

Fallow deer always run on a bit, it is very rare for a heart shot fallow to drop on the spot. Obviously if you are taking neck or head shots it's different but 80% of my shooting is over sticks and I nearly always go for the boiler room.

Roe deer drop very quickly with both calibres and munties so far seem to hit the deck whatever their hit with.

I did not choose these two calibres for any logical reason I had used them both before I got them and I liked them, it's that simple.

As has been mentioend before it's about good shooting. If you are not confident of a good shot, don't take it and wait until you are.

You can say that a bigger calibre has more knock down power and that can be true to a certain extent but, where do you stop?

Is it a real arguement to say that people who can't shoot should buy bigger guns?

I will say that heavy bullets in the 6.5x55 drop like a brick after 100yds but, I have used 156grn game heads to shoot a red stag at 100 ish yds and he dropped where he stood almost. The ideal bullet choice for me in the swede is the 120grn BT driven at just under 3000fps. In the .270 I use 130 grn Combined tech BTs at around the same velocity and so far they have been great.

I reach for different rifles for different reasons but none of them have anything to do with numbers but, how I feel when I open the cabinet door, it's more a question of how much ammo I have or how many shotguns do I need to move at 4am without waking my wife up to get either of them out etc...

ATB

Moses

Chris

One of the mods did raise his concerns about where this thread was heading and what some posters seemed to be advocating and so it was set to hidden until such times it could be read through properly

The posts that you refer to as "being removed" had drifted so far off this topic that it bore no relevence to what the original question was and had drifted into what was obviously a personal jape between yourself and Menial1.No posts were partially edited as you infer :D If you want a humour section that can be arranged but all to often relevent threads are being watered down like this with the resulting topics ending up in disagreement and acrimony with members taking posts other than the way they were intended

I should have pm`d those concerned explaining this at the time but at 5 in the morning I`d had enough and it wasn`t done.I do have a life outside this site and only remembered to set it to visible on a short visit online last night :rolleyes:

Guest northernchris

The joys of being the co-owner of a site,you got to take the rough with the smooth :rolleyes:

PS

"No posts were partially edited as you infer" posts had been added to!

Chris

One of the mods did raise his concerns about where this thread was heading and what some posters seemed to be advocating and so it was set to hidden until such times it could be read through properly

The posts that you refer to as "being removed" had drifted so far off this topic that it bore no relevence to what the original question was and had drifted into what was obviously a personal jape between yourself and Menial1.No posts were partially edited as you infer :D If you want a humour section that can be arranged but all to often relevent threads are being watered down like this with the resulting topics ending up in disagreement and acrimony with members taking posts other than the way they were intended

I should have pm`d those concerned explaining this at the time but at 5 in the morning I`d had enough and it wasn`t done.I do have a life outside this site and only remembered to set it to visible on a short visit online last night :rolleyes:

Quite right WSM, if I was one of the mods here I'd pull a lot more of Northernchris' posts considering some of the inane, argumentative drivel he comes out with. :P

Pete [aka Captain Sensible ]

Archived