King of 2 Miles

VarmLR

Look at these beauties, 285 Grain Hornady ELD-M on the left and a Warner Flatline 285 Grain on the right. The behind the ELDs are 115 grains of RS80 (RL33) and I have 5 Flatline loaded in 2.0 increments from 117 grains to 125 grains of RS 80 as per David Tubbs advice, there is still room in the case for more powder. The ELDs are to run the barrel in as they are only £1.00 per bullet not including case powder and primer, the Flatlines are £2.50 each and currently unobtainium in the UK.

IMG_0903.thumb.jpg.b1c76007bd0bad803b68eb94c0ba15b7.jpg

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, John MH said:

Look at these beauties, 285 Grain Hornady ELD-M on the left and a Warner Flatline 285 Grain on the right. The behind the ELDs are 115 grains of RS80 (RL33) and I have 5 Flatline loaded in 2.0 increments from 117 grains to 125 grains of RS 80 as per David Tubbs advice, there is still room in the case for more powder. The ELDs are to run the barrel in as they are only £1.00 per bullet not including case powder and primer, the Flatlines are £2.50 each and currently unobtainium in the UK.

John, what is the Cartridge's Overall Length with the Flatliners?   Is it 120mm?

13 minutes ago, John MH said:

Well the morning went well, managed to run the barrel in with the ELDs and my five Flatliners gave 3089 FPS with 117 grains of RS80 up to 3387 FPS with 125 grains of RS80, no pressure signs on the case an still room for more powder.

impressive velocity. 

2 minutes ago, Gandy said:

Very impressive; we’re there any obvious accuracy nodes as you would normally see?

Not looking for a node, the barrel run in rounds were doing 3090 FPS and were pretty much all touching. The Flatliners were single shots looking for pressure signs the first 3 were touching but the last two were slightly higher than the previous 3.

1 minute ago, John MH said:

Yes, only need 36.50 MOA to get to a Mile.

cool, about 11 mils.  I shoot 17.3 mils at a mile with ELD-M.

We need a UK manufacturer of top quality solids:  I wonder what the annual sale would be though?

10p's worth of copper per bullet (July spot price).  I wonder if 90p would cover manufacture and profit? 

I see very impressive then, you must be very pleased. 

2 hours ago, John MH said:

Not looking for a node, the barrel run in rounds were doing 3090 FPS and were pretty much all touching. The Flatliners were single shots looking for pressure signs the first 3 were touching but the last two were slightly higher than the previous 3.

Yes pleased so far, need to change primer as I had a few click, very short pause and then bang and a few click no bang (7 out of thirty cartridges). Using Murom KVB-7M, after the first click delay I remembered why I stopped using them as I had a similar problem with my first 300NM loads, decided to go with the KVB-7M's as I only had 200 Federal 215's left, I've bought another 1000 Feds this afternoon.

I’m sure there are numerous people with cnc capacity who could manufacture solids with Jim Boatrights stabilising band incorporated ,,,,

Bernie Montana was manufacturing LTS for 338 and larger twenty ?? Years ago and provided them on request to the FCSa when I was a member then - they worked well with the appropriate twist barrel 

Maybe another UK manufacturer could step up too ?

there is a market 

Good luck With testing John 👍

Re making solids, you know the matl. just need to find someone who uses a ‘Swiss’ style of CNN lathe. 

My guess that amount of matl. you’d need to buy and batch size to keep costs sensible.

Setting up is pretty straight fwd if you have a drawing of the bullet

Personally do not hold out much hope I tried about a year ago to see if anyone was interested in bulk buying solids and importing them legally , was even a mixed cal and weight setup, not enough takers so price could not be dragged down.

So took it out to a Mile today and its accurate, worked out from 600, 860, 1000, 1400, 1560 and the 1760 yards. Applied Ballistics software was spot on for elevation with 36.75 MOA required from a 100 yard zero, conditions were not ideal the wind was difficult to read and was fish tailing left to right, mirage was mostly good but when at 1560 and 1760 yards it was making the targets difficult to see. There as one steel target sized to 1 MOA (17.6" diameter) at a the mile my first shot at that distance was 2 MOA off to the side, observing the splash I took a compensating 2MOA hold and the second shot resulted in an impact.

I had staked out a Hugh Nevin Engineering Fig 14 to shoot at once at the mile but the mirage made it very difficult to see and despite 5 attempts I failed to get an impact, elevation was good but they were dropping off to the side both left and right in the fish tailing wind.

I have decided to back off the load a little and will drop down to 123 grains of RS 80 for my next outing.