King of 2 Miles

VarmLR

On 4/21/2020 at 6:05 AM, baldie said:

Excellent.

That will promote marksmanship, rather than reliance on hardware.

Dave and others - whilst we are in this lockdown period, I'm trying to generate some UK interest in ELR via articles on targetshooter.co.uk.

I'm currently building a rig - is anyone else?  I know JMH has a 33XC ready to go and I know of a couple of other ELR guns that are up and running.

The future of KO2M / ELR in the UK is dependent to some extent on the future development of Eskdalemuir (and that other range close by).  Does anyone have any further information?  Clearly, once UK ranges are in a position to host proper competitions it should stimulate the interest in building suitable rifles - now is the perfect time to get that build under way.

If anyone is building something or has any info on ranges you can email me on targetshooteronline@icloud.com and we'll put it out there.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can get to 3 km at Warcop

Landmark may be a limiting factor but it’s an absolutely ideal venue - someone with interest and contacts could investigate this for that purpose 

A new club, that is  independent may be the way forwards with someone at the helm who has no agenda other than promoting long range shooting in the uk may also be the best way forwards 

Start afresh - UK 2 Mile Shooting Association perhaps ?

5 minutes ago, Ronin said:

A new club, that is  independent may be the way forwards with someone at the helm who has no agenda other than promoting long range shooting in the uk may also be the best way forwards 

You may well be correct but the existing clubs like Gardners and FCSA will also be interested in taking this on - could we end up in internal strife rather than a managed effort for the benefit of all ?  

12 minutes ago, Ronin said:

You can get to 3 km at Warcop

Landmark may be a limiting factor but it’s an absolutely ideal venue - someone with interest and contacts could investigate this for that purpose 

For me - it's got to be about competition - ideally to established KO2M rules - not plinking at Warcop.  But yes - I  agree, a new UK2MSA might be a good idea.

We have a member at our club with a .375 cheytac improved who shoots at Orion and joined eskdalemuir just before things kicked off up there. I'm sure he'd be interested in a U.K. event. There's also a chap I'm aware of who has the gear for that and is involved in the new works at eskdalemuir.

Almost makes me wish I'd not sold the Cheytac action I had or even 99% of the gear to go with my .338 now. 

On 4/20/2020 at 10:43 AM, VarmLR said:

I'm afraid most of these long range rifles are beyond my more modest budget constraints as at roughly £5 per "bang" and lots of practice needed it's something that would benefit from a team approach with sponsorship otherwise it's a wealthy man's sport!

Each to his own but, in reality, it's less than half that for 338 / 33XC reloads. These days, travel and accommodation is often the biggest expense. 

I absolutely agree with Vince, its all about the competition , I can see 2 disciplines looming a one mile competitionbased on 338 in a light ish weight gun maybe 15kg, this would appeal to Dave with his chassis/ mag feed rifle. Then a two mile event for bigger calibre guns specifically built for this and run with teams. We are building rifles for both of these along the lines of single shot FTR rifles on steroids. I know several F class shooters are looking at this as something abit different to do. As Vince states travel and accommodation is the biggest expense, bearing in mind if you roll up to a competition and it all goes wrong you may only fire 15 shots.

1 hour ago, sean c said:

Almost makes me wish I'd not sold the Cheytac action I had or even 99% of the gear to go with my .338 now. 

Wish id bought that action off you when it was in my care all those years ago mate !

I believe an accurate 338 with appropriate LTS would be competitive at 2 miles 

A Finnish team won several long range (1500 mtrs and beyond ) with a TRG using fast twist barrel 105 moeller solids I think ten plus years ago (May be longer -Think it may have been the guys behind FinnAccuracy ) though may be wrong

Memory faded with age 

The weak point will always be the person behind the trigger and or spotter 

If Landmark we’re approached perhaps suitable targets and equipment could be installed with the other “plinking” targetry at Charlie High (Warcop)

12 minutes ago, Ronin said:

Wish id bought that action off you when it was in my care all those years ago mate !

Lovely piece of kit wasn't it? 

10 minutes ago, Ronin said:

If Landmark we’re approached perhaps suitable targets and equipment could be installed with the other “plinking” targetry at Charlie High (Warcop)

I went out with the range warden one morning when we shot at Charlie High to put a gong out. He would only take me to the track that crossed the range at 1k. He said we couldn't go any further because the area between that and the base of the hill had to be cleared before entering due to it being the main impact area and possibly had unexploded ordnance in it. 

I'm not sure if that's still the case or if he just didn't want to go any further that morning. It must be cleared at times to allow for maintainence so that would be the time to enter.

watching those videos I'm struck by what a compromise it is to have a scope set up for extreme distance - lots of compromises.

I have an idea:  a side-offset scope will allow extreme angles without 'looking' at the barrel, having to lift your head up and to avoid thermal distortion from barrel heat BUT it's not possible to maintain a good solid cheek weld and get a good sight picture.  So, my idea is to 'remote' the eye piece back to the top of the rifle by using a CCD sensor in the scope and a LED display set up in something similar to a red-dot tube (maybe with an eyecup for light).  A high quality scope doing the optics and mechanicals but a simple display (like night vision) to look at in the conventional position.  It seems likely it could be achieved with existing components.

Any thoughts on this?

Intellectual property rights copyright.

1 hour ago, Gluv said:

Tacom already have a side offset scope prism as well as the charlie Tarac . You've been beaten to the cake ! 🙂

Gluv🇬🇧

I did wonder, I tried Googling but didn't find anything.  I didn't think I'd be the first as it's a pretty obvious thing to try.  I think another 5 years and we'll have lots of electronic hybrid scopes - seems like a natural evolution.  I see Trijicon already do an advanced ballistics hybrid package (possibly only US military at the mo) - it does ballistic solutions right on the screen.

The only beef I have with the Charlie Tarac is it's a big lump on the scope, it's seems a bugger to set up (as you know) and it's very expensive (but nicely made).  I'm not a fan of those Ivy et-al adjustable rails, too many moving parts, too much opportunity for errors and prone to wear I'd expect.

I expect to be vindicated in a few years 😁  Won't make any brass though..

12 minutes ago, John MH said:

My Charlie Tarac fits to the rail not the scope.

Is that a new version or a mod you've achieved?

I was asked a while ago now to build a .416 Barrett for the 2021 KO2M in France.

Parts have been on order and are starting to arrive, I will detail the build on my FB page when I get started with it. 

The barrel will be finished at 40" and its 1.75" in diameter, parallel profile, bullets are 500 & 550gr over approx 200gr of powder.

Cant say Im looking forward to the load development ☺️ 

Just for fun, I used Strelok Pro to give me a fire solution for a 5mph side wind using my 1000yd load (Scenar 139 @ 2700fps).

The fire solution was 28.5MRADs up and 1.6Mrads for wind with a terminal velocity close on 935fps.  I can dial for 19 or 20MILS and hold off the rest with my current ring system so it might work at a mile but I'm unsure of whether these scenars are that stable through the transonic range.

The same data for my 190grn SMK in 308 gave 36.1Mrads up and 1.8 for windage with a terminal velocity of 875fps.  I would need a change of rings or 20moa rail with my current scope for that but know that the 190 is stable through transonic.  It would be interesting to compare them but neither would be anything like ideal for that sort of range.  I'd be happy just to hit a 1m square target!

I'm seriously interested in this.  Does anyone know if there's actually someone/group working this with regard to an affiliation & competition etc?

It's a big commitment to think about spec'ing and building a capable rifle & equipment only to find out it's only a local club level competition thing.