King of 2 Miles

VarmLR

Recently stumbled upon these series of videos.  the interludes where they question people like Brian Litz make interesting listening.  Is it just me or does Brian get younger looking every year LoL!

Anyway, some amazing shooting on display here with a fair few half moa groups at one mile which is outstanding.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, gazzarM1 said:

Eskdalemuir perhaps?

Old Eskdalemuir?  Assuming it will be available following the FCSA move.

Thinking what will be available at the new Gardner’s range...We had a collective booking with some of the Cumbria lads that was put on hold because of the lockdown ...was looking forward to that but given what is currently happening to people and families it is but a minor consideration.

I stand to be corrected ,but whilst a lot of guys are getting to the mile with some reasonable kit.....there is a big money filled gap to be achieved to getting hold of competitive kit for 2 miles...?Thinking of optics and known adjustment ranges on some of the premium scopes .... what kind of rail cant  would you be needing? Could well imagine bespoke manufactured rails costing several hundreds of pounds for a start.

It'd be well worth the travel and overnight accommodation to have a day shooting at 1 mile.  It would also be a good opportunity to invest in a nice custom ultra long range rifle!  I think that the 6.5's and most of the 7's are probably good to 1200 if not 1400m so fall a little short and it'd probably be a waste of ammo even trying at a mile but plenty seem shoot it using 338 Lap mags.

5 minutes ago, VarmLR said:

It'd be well worth the travel and overnight accommodation to have a day shooting at 1 mile.  It would also be a good opportunity to invest in a nice custom ultra long range rifle!  I think that the 6.5's and most of the 7's are probably good to 1200 if not 1400m so fall a little short and it'd probably be a waste of ammo even trying at a mile but plenty seem shoot it using 338 Lap mags.

Certainly do!  It's addictive.

I would recommend a 1:10 twist for a .338 as the heavier bullets are preferred for 1 mile.  I have 32" 1:10SG (similar to 5R) truflight and it shoots 300Gr Lap Scenar  and 285Gr ELD-M very nicely out to 2000m.  Lap. 250gr Scenar are not giving me the distance with accuracy.

Having watched the chap in Australia on Youboob, I'm thinking of using my 45/70 at the mile now!!

29 minutes ago, VarmLR said:

The smaller cals like 6.5 have been shot to a mile, but to give yourself a fighting chance big 30's and above are best.

Shandy beat me to it.  A mile really isn't that far anymore.  At least, not as daunting as say, 10 years ago.

That being said, I think 1 mile would be better for the UK folks to start with, as it would open up the field to more competitors.  This would allow for some critical mass to be built, before going 2 miles.  At least, that is how it worked here in the US.

I watched a video on YouTube a few months ago looking for some king of 1 mile stuff but only found one and it was a woman shooting a 300wsm and I think a 212gr ELDX's to good effect..

1 mile is probaly harder than you think as we don't get many calm days..

I'd be up for seeing some small 1800yds group targets if your brave enough 😉

2 hours ago, No i deer said:

I watched a video on YouTube a few months ago looking for some king of 1 mile stuff but only found one and it was a woman shooting a 300wsm and I think a 212gr ELDX's to good effect..

1 mile is probaly harder than you think as we don't get many calm days..

I'd be up for seeing some small 1800yds group targets if your brave enough 😉

Eskdalemuir:  .338LM 300gr  -  14 moa hold left for wind at the mile target!  That was just a normal breezy day 😁

I've looked recently into building something just a little more exotic than a std .338.

Initially the 33XC and maybe the 37XC, as they can both be shot from a 338 action. 

However, the cost of the dies and brass, is laughable to be honest, and I shelved the idea quite rapidly.

I will be buying the reamers shortly however .

Personally, I think a long throated 1-9.3" .338 will do anything you want in the uk. 1-10" is a little slow for the 300 grain bullets, although my last 1-10" did work with them, most won't.

Like everyone, I've seen the youtube vids of the 2 miles.

I was, quite honestly, amazed at how bad some of the shooters actually were ? The spotters ?  well...........

I can't get my head round why the shooters aren't spotting their own shots ?

Time of flight is in seconds, plenty of time to get back on it and spot.

Have shot at Eskdalemuir quite a few times and due to weather conditions and cloud cover,mist etc there have been a number of occasions when I have been working through the distances and suddenly uttered the words....where have the plates gone?

It gets bleak there on occasion

As always it's easier said than done..

1 mile is a nice range and still a serious challenge..

I've had a go and loved it using a Barrett 98B which has a twist rate of 9.7 ish.. it shot the 300gr scenars great

I watched one of UKV's former users Mike Roberts on the KO2M series with I think his 50 cal and he didn't hit the 1550yd target with 5 shots..!!

I've watched him shooting his 50 at F range at sennybride ok.. The wind is hard at Raton and shooting uphill maybe another obstacle.. I'm not familiar with the problems of that though..

2 miles is literally a long shot and luck is the biggest factor...

2 hours ago, baldie said:

I've looked recently into building something just a little more exotic than a std .338.

Initially the 33XC and maybe the 37XC, as they can both be shot from a 338 action. 

However, the cost of the dies and brass, is laughable to be honest, and I shelved the idea quite rapidly.

I will be buying the reamers shortly however .

Personally, I think a long throated 1-9.3" .338 will do anything you want in the uk. 1-10" is a little slow for the 300 grain bullets, although my last 1-10" did work with them, most won't.

Like everyone, I've seen the youtube vids of the 2 miles.

I was, quite honestly, amazed at how bad some of the shooters actually were ? The spotters ?  well...........

I can't get my head round why the shooters aren't spotting their own shots ?

Time of flight is in seconds, plenty of time to get back on it and spot.

I am in the process of building a 37xc, I value your opinion Baldie of what calibre you would go for if you needed something larger than a 338 lap mag. I looked at costs and the 37xc was the cheapest option, I'm thinking this is the largest calibre you can load in a standard sized press. I think speed of shooting is the main reason shooters were not spotting their own shots, but then again Mark Philips was doing his own spotting.