IOR Scopes, your thoughts?

Trigger73

2 minutes ago, VarmLR said:

Buy used.  There was a really nice NSX in the private ads lately and used also buys you a decent DMR which are pretty bomb proof.

If it's the one that I'm thinking of, it is a great buy but the reticle puts me off. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends if you use holdover or dial.  I use an NSX with an NP1 ret for hunting and the lack of clutter in the ret and easy turret adjustment makes dialling a breeze.  For plinking I can see that maybe using a mil hash or moa hash ret allows easier corrections using the ret.

1 minute ago, VarmLR said:

Depends if you use holdover or dial.  I use an NSX with an NP1 ret for hunting and the lack of clutter in the ret and easy turret adjustment makes dialling a breeze.  For plinking I can see that maybe using a mil hash or moa hash ret allows easier corrections using the ret.

My use would be plinking and longer range target. 

• 1 month later...

Where did you go in the end @Trigger73? I'm seriously considering the Vulcan currently, as apparently the IOR glass is comparable to Nightforce, if not better. (although I'm not sure if that's true of Vulcan glass as it's the bottom of their range). 

It's between that and the Vortex PST 2, as their both about the same price point. Certainly rather the IOR recital, (not a fan of the full tree lit up).
I'd love to be able to actually look through them both side by side, but I'm not aware of any shops within a hour or so of me (Bristol) that stock them. 

Naturally Vortex has it's no-quibble warranty, but there's a 30 year warranty on the IOR, and we'll all be shooting fancy electronic ballistic scopes by that point anyways. 

9 minutes ago, Rem Imperri said:

Where did you go in the end @Trigger73? I'm seriously considering the Vulcan currently, as apparently the IOR glass is comparable to Nightforce, if not better. (although I'm not sure if that's true of Vulcan glass as it's the bottom of their range). 

It's between that and the Vortex PST 2, as their both about the same price point. Certainly rather the IOR recital, (not a fan of the full tree lit up).
I'd love to be able to actually look through them both side by side, but I'm not aware of any shops within a hour or so of me (Bristol) that stock them. 

Naturally Vortex has it's no-quibble warranty, but there's a 30 year warranty on the IOR, and we'll all be shooting fancy electronic ballistic scopes by that point anyways. 

After a lot of thinking , reading forums, talking to owners, it was not looking good for the IOR as it was hit and miss regarding the quality and if any possible issues IOR are allegedly a nightmare to deal with (wait time), so I bought an absolute mint Pst Gen2 5-25 FFP instead for £680, saving over £300 if I went down the IOR route.

The newer IOR Vulcan does not have the naff paint like finish,it's more the anodised finish the glass is SUPERB German Schott glass I must have dialed mine elevation/ windage thousands of times and it goes back to zero no probs..Yes mine had to go back to Romania for repair (the damage was my fault) it was returned sorted and delivered back free of charge..hope this helps cheers 👍

Edited by bighairyhaggishunter
Horizontal instead of elevation

• 3 months later...

I have three of them 4 14x50, 6 24x56 ans 6 40x56. I realy like them, all are MOA MOA. I have had all the top german and Austrian makes but for the shooting I undertake they are very hard to beat. They are built like Chalenger tanks so well up to rumbling about in the truck. IOR use Shott glass so as you would expect the optics are as good as it gets. I am looking for one for my 22lr so need it to paralax right down. IOR dont spend out on advertising like the popular makes so perhaps not so well known to your general shooter but they should be.

I have three of them 4 14x50, 6 24x56 ans 6 40x56. I realy like them, all are MOA MOA. I have had all the top german and Austrian makes but for the shooting I undertake they are very hard to beat. They are built like Chalenger tanks so well up to rumbling about in the truck. IOR use Shott glass so as you would expect the optics are as good as it gets. I am looking for one for my 22lr so need it to paralax right down. IOR dont spend out on advertising like the popular makes so perhaps not so well known to your general shooter but they should be. The 6 24x56 Vulcan must be the biggest bargain on the high quality scope market at less than £1100.

I've not had any problems with my IOR  6-24x50................sharp contrasty image, and decent thin crosshairs.

Certainly a bit better than the Sightrons that I have.

Pete

The sad reality is that many people have "long range scopes", but rarely run them enough (or hard enough) to determine if there is a problem.  All too often misses are blamed on the wind, the sunlight, bipod loading, etc....when in reality, many scopes just aren't tracking 100%.

The "well, mine works fine" is not a data point in my mind, nor is it a testament to build quality.  What is a data point is instructors that tall target test their students' scopes as part of class, and keep records of the testing of all the students' scopes.  Trends, patterns, numbers.  IOR scopes have not done well in that environment.

As they say, "It's your money, do as you wish".  That being said, I stand by my  comment of discouraging people in buying IOR scopes, believing that they are Tier 1 or Tier 2 level optics.  They are not.  If that's what you can afford, or don't turn the dials often, then go for it.  As we say in the US though "Don't piss down my back, and then try and tell me it's raining".

IOR's just seems penny wise and pound foolish to me, considering the options available these days.

JMTCW...

18 minutes ago, MarinePMI said:

What is a data point is instructors that tall target test their students' scopes as part of class, and keep records of the testing of all the students' scopes.  Trends, patterns, numbers.  IOR scopes have not done well in that environment.

Dyou have a link to this data please chap?

I don't have it softcopy.  Go listen to some of the Everyday Sniper Podcasts.  The data is being collected.  Frank's pretty up front with the data (good and bad).  There's some surprisingly well made scopes (Brownells MPO for example) that are out performing the likes of IOR...

• 1 month later...

I don't own any.  Especially after seeing two Crusaders have some serious tracking issues.

I'm not saying they're all crap, just that, in this day and age, when consumers have so many choices with better options and more consistent QC, I'd be hard pressed to roll the dice and gamble that I get a "good" IOR.

If you disagree,  that's fine.  But my recommendation stands.

Yep.  Don't own any.  But after 5 years running a precision rifle club with well over 100 members (and God knows how many visitors), I don't need to own every scope brand to see trends.

You can make your snarky remarks, but it still doesn't change what I've seen.  IOR's have unreliable QC.  They have some nice looking glass, which means f*ck all, if it doesn't track. Our range runs out past 1/2 mile, and we shoot weekly, so every scope we see is being pushed to perform.

Then again, your friend's brother's cousin's next door neighbor may have actually turned the turrets against a tall target test at that game fair, and it just wasn't what you wanted to hear.  My, what nice blinders you have on; must make life more orderly and comfortable. 

11 minutes ago, MarinePMI said:

Yep.  Don't own any.  But after 5 years running a precision rifle club with well over 100 members (and God knows how many visitors), I don't need to own every scope brand to see trends.

You can make your snarky remarks, but it still doesn't change what I've seen.  IOR's have unreliable QC.  They have some nice looking glass, which means f*ck all, if it doesn't track. Our range runs out past 1/2 mile, and we shoot weekly, so every scope we see is being pushed to perform.

Then again, your friend's brother's cousin's next door neighbor may have actually turned the turrets against a tall target test at that game fair, and it just wasn't what you wanted to hear.  My, what nice blinders you have on; must make life more orderly and comfortable. 

I think you hit the nail on the head;  many people will defend their purchases as appearing to be a chump isn't a good look.  Taking an appraisal from a wide range of real-world users is to be preferred to what one 'satisfied' owner (who may have no reference to compare to).  I'm also in favour of taking a long hard look at any negative comments too.

I've shot a rifle with a IOR Crusader,  I wouldn't spend my money on one.  Tracking is so important at extended distance,  my S&B PM11 tracks rock solid the same every time sitting on a .338LM.  There's a good reason they are a first choice for many professionals with no budget limitations.

Being a Chump is making out that your opinion needs to be heard and trashing a brand of scope having never owned one  !  1/2 mile range   WOW  ....... I bet that puts the scopes through hell .... all 15 to 20 moa's worth ? 

As for defending my purchase ... I have two IOR's , two NXS's , two MK4's , one PM2 and a swfa and none of them have any tracking Issues . Tall target tests using almost 60 moa and and yes all have different moa values but all track back . Both IOR's and a MK4 have been flawless out past 2,000 yards Infact the one IOR was past 3,100 yards .

Even the little swfa on a 22lr has done 560 yards with 125 moa and returned to a perfect zero .

Too many keyboard warriors giving their opinions on stuff they've never owned and know f*ck all about !    Oh.... IMHO

OSOK

10 minutes ago, OSOK said:

Being a Chump is making out that your opinion needs to be heard and trashing a brand of scope having never owned one  !  1/2 mile range   WOW  ....... I bet that puts the scopes through hell .... all 15 to 20 moa's worth ? 

As for defending my purchase ... I have two IOR's , two NXS's , two MK4's , one PM2 and a swfa and none of them have any tracking Issues . Tall target tests using almost 60 moa and and yes all have different moa values but all track back . Both IOR's and a MK4 have been flawless out past 2,000 yards Infact the one IOR was past 3,100 yards .

Even the little swfa on a 22lr has done 560 yards with 125 moa and returned to a perfect zero .

Too many keyboard warriors giving their opinions on stuff they've never owned and know f*ck all about !    Oh.... IMHO

OSOK

wow, calm down pal.  I was making a general comment in support of a view expressed by MarinePMI, nothing more.   Not sure why you're so defensive ??  If you like your scope that's good isn't it?  It doesn't mean your view is worth any less or more than another.