Best Precision Production Rifle

JDT

So just when I was about to start target / long range shooting at a few clubs, the whole coronavirus thing kicked off (literally the week before I was meant to have my first weekend on the range).

I’ve got plenty of shooting experience on vermin so had it in my head that once I was a member of the clubs I’d get a 6.5 Creedmoor on my ticket and go down the full custom route built on a Bighorn Origin.

Obviously since then I’ve had more than enough time to mull this over and concluded that it’s probably not the best call and I should be spending any extra money on ammo and punching as much paper on the range (when we can all get back to it of course...) to just improve at target shooting in general. I realistically couldn’t afford a full custom rifle and have enough money left over to get optics anywhere near good enough to do it justice.

So with that in mind I started googling best production / ‘out-of-the-box’ long range / tactical precision rifles for 600 - 1000 yards. Just wondering what people’s opinions on this are? I like the Bergara Premier LRP but don’t think it comes in lefty. Also the Bad Rock South Fork (which I believe is a production rifle made by Defiance) which does comes in lefty but not sure I could get one over here:

https://badrockrifles.com/

Or...am I just better off getting a semi-custom trued-up donor Remy 700 with a Sassen barrel and Mcmillian stock and tuned trigger from a reputable gunsmith? Or would that also be significantly more expensive than a production rifle?

All thoughts very much appreciated.

7 minutes ago, topscots1 said:

Bergarra HMR, I have mine bedded I a PSE stock.  Incredible rifle for the money, thinking about a carbon fibre barrel. If I do total all in cost will have been around 3 K

It shoots ok then 👍🏻

30 minutes ago, JDT said:

So just when I was about to start target / long range shooting at a few clubs, the whole coronavirus thing kicked off (literally the week before I was meant to have my first weekend on the range).

I’ve got plenty of shooting experience on vermin so had it in my head that once I was a member of the clubs I’d get a 6.5 Creedmoor on my ticket and go down the full custom route built on a Bighorn Origin.

Obviously since then I’ve had more than enough time to mull this over and concluded that it’s probably not the best call and I should be spending any extra money on ammo and punching as much paper on the range (when we can all get back to it of course...) to just improve at target shooting in general. I realistically couldn’t afford a full custom rifle and have enough money left over to get optics anywhere near good enough to do it justice.

So with that in mind I started googling best production / ‘out-of-the-box’ long range / tactical precision rifles for 600 - 1000 yards. Just wondering what people’s opinions on this are? I like the Bergara Premier LRP but don’t think it comes in lefty. Also the Bad Rock South Fork (which I believe is a production rifle made by Defiance) which does comes in lefty but not sure I could get one over here:

https://badrockrifles.com/

Or...am I just better off getting a semi-custom trued-up donor Remy 700 with a Sassen barrel and Mcmillian stock and tuned trigger from a reputable gunsmith? Or would that also be significantly more expensive than a production rifle?

All thoughts very much appreciated.

You haven't mentioned budget for the rifle and for the scope + mounts etc.

Custom rifles can loose a shed load of value as they are, well, custom - meaning specific to your needs and that might not be someone else's 'must have'.

Tikka Tac is very popular for good reasons.  

25 minutes ago, topscots1 said:

Bergarra HMR, I have mine bedded I a PSE stock.  Incredible rifle for the money, thinking about a carbon fibre barrel. If I do total all in cost will have been around 3 K

I was thinking a Bergara HMR as well and as it happens they’ve started doing them in leftie, will definitely consider.

17 minutes ago, Popsbengo said:

You haven't mentioned budget for the rifle and for the scope + mounts etc.

Custom rifles can loose a shed load of value as they are, well, custom - meaning specific to your needs and that might not be someone else's 'must have'.

Tikka Tac is very popular for good reasons.  

Budget is approximately £2k for rifle and £1.5k for optics is what I had in mind. Cheers.

7 minutes ago, Scotch_egg said:

Best production rifle. Well it’s got to be an Accuracy International AT. 

same action as the AX308 and shoots just as well. But cheaper. 

Cheers mate, what price do they tend to come in at?

Customs do loose a crazy amount of value but once they’ve dropped they also retain more value than a factory rifle. 

Get a custom this has been put together by a good smith, with the action you want, correct stock and a calibre you can live with. Price in a new barrel and any barrel life you have left in that barrel is a bonus. Use it to get used to the setup 

Best production - Accuracy International- choose your flavour to suit your wallet.

Best value for money - Tikka Tac

Best ( for me ) Gucci - Kelbly NYX

Hint  - I have an Accuracy International AW and AXMC. If I was buying new now I would buy a Kelbly NYX in 6.5 creed or 6.5x47.

link added:

Buy a 2nd hand custom or AI. Plenty of them kicking around on the Sale section of the forum. If you choose wisely, you can get a gun for several £k cheaper than new, well within your budget. and most seem to only have around 400-600 rounds down the tube. You will be good for a long time.

44 minutes ago, martin_b said:

>>Best ( for me ) Gucci - Kelbly NYX

Never heard of it till 5 mins aago, now after a quick google, I want one.

Personally, better actions out there for the money. Doesn’t have an integral picatinny rail nor recoil lug. Both are pinned. Actions that have these elements machined as part of the action costs more (more complex machining) but makes the action both stronger/more rigid and won’t budge or come apart. 

48 minutes ago, martin_b said:

>>Best ( for me ) Gucci - Kelbly NYX

Never heard of it till 5 mins aago, now after a quick google, I want one.

Same, but we’ll outside my budget haha

Thanks for the replies everyone, will take a look at the Accuracy International AT’s and some second hand’s. Although I am one of these weird people who likes to be the custodian of something from brand new so it irks me haha. I can’t help it, it’s just part of me 🙄

Well just  my opinion slightly influenced by home delivery beer! AI and Tikka tac are both pretty good, but our doctrine where I work ‘prone is dead’ as far as rifle shooting is concerned and improvised shooting positions being the next new thing. Based upon this I use aTRG in 260 rem and a Tikka CTR in the same calibre for  target shooting, but I am starting to think that you could do just as well  with a heavy barrel Blaser apart from the magazine capacity. 

Perhaps part of it is the kit, I collect watches and as my wife point out they all tell the bloody time why do you actually need one that costs £6000. 

Have a great evening,🦌💀

50 minutes ago, TSG said:

Well just  my opinion slightly influenced by home delivery beer! AI and Tikka tac are both pretty good, but our doctrine where I work ‘prone is dead’ as far as rifle shooting is concerned and improvised shooting positions being the next new thing. Based upon this I use aTRG in 260 rem and a Tikka CTR in the same calibre for  target shooting, but I am starting to think that you could do just as well  with a heavy barrel Blaser apart from the magazine capacity. 

>>>>>>>Perhaps part of it is the kit, I collect watches and as my wife point out they all tell the bloody time why do you actually need one that costs £6000. 

Have a great evening,🦌💀

Is it to late to send her back for a refund? 🙂  

3 hours ago, Ronin said:

It shoots ok then 👍🏻

It hasn’t done much since I got it back from you.  A range trip where it shot sub moa after a few rounds to bed in. And then taken a few roe.  I love the stock.   Looking at having one retrofitted to my RPA woodland stalker. 

I know of a very low use customised left hand Tikka T3 in Chassis for sale - it’s in 6.5/47 and immaculate and would easily rechamber to creedmoor if absolutely necessary 

I built it and it shoots impeccably from customer feedback on the sole visit it had at Bisley 

2 hours ago, Ronin said:

it’s in 6.5/47 and immaculate and would easily rechamber to creedmoor if absolutely necessary 

OMG who would want to do such a terrible thing!! 😲 pure sacrilege!!

Factory guns / The Tikka tac every time, unless you can go that bit more for the AI AT, which is a better rifle.

I wouldn't give a Bergara house room. I saw one the other day with a completely knackered barrel, that had never shot right.

I borescope it for the chap, and told him his barrel was worn out, and I thought it had fired over 2500 rounds.

It had fired a documented 350.

The firing pin hole was 10 thou larger than a remmy, and he's never been able to fire full power loads in it, for primer cratering/piercing.

And folk say they are an improvement over a remmy....Nah they aint.

For a factory gun, in addition to the Tikka’s, I’d also consider looking at the Sabatti STR.

Several club members I’ve shot with have them and I’ve always been amazed at the accuracy and consistency. Supposedly after a short break in (100 rounds or so) the bolt really smooths out and the trigger is good.

Takes AICS Mags too.