12 hours ago, geek said:

I am using Vihtavuori N140 (25grs [works fine in my rifle, don't know about yours]), Lapua brass and Sierra bullets 69gr in a Remington 700 in an MDT chassis and the image is of a 3 shoot group at 100 yards (the rifle has shot 26 rounds so far, so may improve).

.223.JPG

Being pedantic, but you should measure the edge of the widest part of the group and subtract the bullet diameter.

By the looks of it, the edge from top to bottom is wider than the side to side edges of the group.

Still looks to be under 0.5”, nice for a 3 round group. Try to find a group that shows little vertical as that’s what counts at distance. Don’t worry about horizontal because that’s the wind. Vertical is where it’s at. 👍

15 hours ago, miki said:

Yes. sorry I missed that - I though RS50 was more for the 30 and larger callibers RS Charts

RS50 is what I use with heavier 223 bullets and it is a very good match indeed.  If you do a little searching on here you should find some of my data for the 77TMK and RS50.  It outperformed N140 with lower observed pressure signs.

As others have said, the fact your rifle was spitting 60/62grn bullets about is more to do with the load not being properly developed for your barrel.  The bullet length and mass of just about any 60grn or 55 come to that will be just fine in a 1/9 twist.  You just have to find the node that works.  If not already looked at, I recommend you read about Dan Newberry's OCW (optimum Charge Weight) load development.  You ideally need access to a chrony if intending on shooting more than a few hundred yards out but inside of that OCW should get you a good enough node.

OP

1:9  24" barrel. ...Tried the 75g just once and it never produced consistent groups. By 'consistent' I am meaning 'one-atop-the-other' with no keyholes, no clover leafing - wanting it to print just one hole (although be it a slightly larger hole following 5 shots than on the first shot)....The 75g Berger VLD struggled to maintain consistent grouping wih N140, N150 and Varget back in the day. Attempted this with 300 bullets, until I decided to stop throwing money away

Reverted to the standard N140 & 69smk and rifle prints what I want it to print - no need to try anything else other than this combo at the distance I use it...200/300yds on fox ... 

Your twist is just about as perfect you'll get for the 69g bullet ..and anything else under 69g.... 55g sbk is also superb, with N130.

Tip: don't waste money chasing a rainbow - you'll be very rare in the land 75g and 1:9 twist imho - but good luck with your attempt

👍

Hi snakeman

I have shot the federal premium bullets which use the Sierra matchking hpbt but at £34 for 20 wasn't to impressed with them. I will give them another try and see if I can get the load working for my rifle 😀

My rifle has got the 20" heavy varmint barrel

On 4/15/2020 at 3:21 PM, ontoproofer said:

hello

I've got a 223 with a 1 in 9 twist which is bang on with Hornady 75grain eld match. Ive bought some 75g bullet heads and was wondering if somebody has a recipe with which powder and where to start ?

I use CFE 223,  with that said I can use whatever I wish, no REACH rules in the USA. I look to load volume and velocity listed in data and begin there my primer choice is CCI. Cases are Starline. First I look in the data for the bullet I may chose , find powder and then purchase what I need.

19 hours ago, snakeman said:

OP

1:9  24" barrel. ...Tried the 75g just once and it never produced consistent groups. By 'consistent' I am meaning 'one-atop-the-other' with no keyholes, no clover leafing - wanting it to print just one hole (although be it a slightly larger hole following 5 shots than on the first shot)....The 75g Berger VLD struggled to maintain consistent grouping wih N140, N150 and Varget back in the day. Attempted this with 300 bullets, until I decided to stop throwing money away

Reverted to the standard N140 & 69smk and rifle prints what I want it to print - no need to try anything else other than this combo at the distance I use it...200/300yds on fox ... 

Your twist is just about as perfect you'll get for the 69g bullet ..and anything else under 69g.... 55g sbk is also superb, with N130.

Tip: don't waste money chasing a rainbow - you'll be very rare in the land 75g and 1:9 twist imho - but good luck with your attempt

👍

Im happy to read this! I plan to do some work with the 69TMK and hadn't seen much on results this is encouraging! Atm I use the 55 grn blitzkings with super results, on prarie dogs, would be fine of jackrabbit , fox or coyotes too.

15 hours ago, KABOOM said:

Im happy to read this! I plan to do some work with the 69TMK and hadn't seen much on results this is encouraging! Atm I use the 55 grn blitzkings with super results, on prarie dogs, would be fine of jackrabbit , fox or coyotes too.

I've used these extensively with mixed results using N140 but settled on 24.6gr with two seating depths producing similar results.  Average, prone, still day using 3 shot gropups was .25moa, best was 0.18moa, then on 5 shot groups the average over time worked out at .4moa.  It's ok but it didn't produce as good grouping as the smk for me.   It works well with a longer jump too.  In my chamber about 100 thou off the lands produced very consistent groups with a slightly compressed load of N140 compred with 15 thou off the lands.  I found the 55grn sgks as good tbh launched at 3,200fps.

Just dug out the 24.6 grn group:

TMKgroup26June.jpg

Velocities and consistency was better using RS50 though.  I shot a load ladder and 24.6grn is shown as a plateau on the traph below giving an average of 2842fps:

65556079_chrono_graph69_TMK_LoadLadder.thumb.jpg.a37ade535177e2f8fcc6f1661d3edbe0.jpg

I'll dig out my load data later on but I seem to remember group sizes being oveall more consistent using RS50.