Advice needed regarding a scope that will be going on my Tik Tac 308.  I bought the gun as I wanted to get into long distance shooting and was hoping to have joined Offas Dyke by now but a few things got in the way and now with this virus business it's put a hold on things, however I still need a scope and my budget is £1K I really don't want to go over that. 

I know the usual suspects will possibly be the PST Gen 2, Sightron S3 but I'm sure you guys will have more suggestions. 

I'm hoping to get FFP and obviously no need for IR? 

Your thoughts please? 

Any reason you want FFP because it limits your choice and price point?

Can't go wrong with Vortex or Sightron,  Vortex warranty is first class.

43 minutes ago, Popsbengo said:

Any reason you want FFP because it limits your choice and price point?

Can't go wrong with Vortex or Sightron,  Vortex warranty is first class.

I did some reading and was led to believe ffp for long range is more suited, correct me if I'm wrong? 

I would be looking at a quality used scope as well ....Nightforce as an example....good reticles.. bulletproof and you should be able to get a Nxs 5.5 - 22 x 56 or 50 for around the £800 mark will eat long distance work.

If you're shooting and don't need to range with your scope or to measure poi to poa with the reticle then FFP is not really required.  I'll assume you don't need to range  - laser range finders do the job way better.

An FFP reticle 'grows' with magnification so the cross hairs and hash marks become thicker, this can obscure the aiming point.  If you're shooting standard targets from standard distances the dimensions of the target rings will give you all the correction you require by back calculating the inches (cm) of error against distance (eg 6" miss at 600yds = 1moa) so a SFP will be sufficient (with the benefit of a fine aiming mark reticle).

I use SFP for all target shooting when using McQueen or F Class target faces.  Nice simple dot reticle on my NF comp.

I use a FFP when shooting out past 1200yds on steel targets with no visible markings to gauge from.  An FFP will allow me to watch fall of shot and adjust by measuring with the reticle (this can be done on a SFP but only at one fixed magnification).  I can dial the observed error direct without faffing around with the magnification.  The thicker reticle is a compromise but worth it for that.

I did have a Vortex PST FFP but I found the reticle very thick at 25x magnification.  My S&B P4F is significantly better.  It was a 1st Gen Vortex so 2nd Gen may well be better.

The best thing anyone buying a scope can do is look through them

The Op said he was looking at getting into long rangeshooting ...as you said yourself a FFP scope is the go to solution for many... indeed up until moving up to a big Schmidt and Bender I was using an NXS out to a mile and beyond and was very happy with it though the glass Imho is not as good as the Schmidt it was good enough for the task in hand.

The thing to do is peep through several scopes to see which feels best for you....plenty of time to go on a scope hunt .....not much trigger squeezing happening at the moment !

9 hours ago, Popsbengo said:

If you're shooting and don't need to range with your scope or to measure poi to poa with the reticle then FFP is not really required.  I'll assume you don't need to range  - laser range finders do the job way better.

An FFP reticle 'grows' with magnification so the cross hairs and hash marks become thicker, this can obscure the aiming point.  If you're shooting standard targets from standard distances the dimensions of the target rings will give you all the correction you require by back calculating the inches (cm) of error against distance (eg 6" miss at 600yds = 1moa) so a SFP will be sufficient (with the benefit of a fine aiming mark reticle).

I use SFP for all target shooting when using McQueen or F Class target faces.  Nice simple dot reticle on my NF comp.

I use a FFP when shooting out past 1200yds on steel targets with no visible markings to gauge from.  An FFP will allow me to watch fall of shot and adjust by measuring with the reticle (this can be done on a SFP but only at one fixed magnification).  I can dial the observed error direct without faffing around with the magnification.  The thicker reticle is a compromise but worth it for that.

I did have a Vortex PST FFP but I found the reticle very thick at 25x magnification.  My S&B P4F is significantly better.  It was a 1st Gen Vortex so 2nd Gen may well be better.

The best thing anyone buying a scope can do is look through them

Thanks for the info pops. 

Yes I have a rangefinder (Nikon Pro staff 7) seems to be upto the task and is pretty much repeatable with its readings. 

I've had FFP scopes before but only on my air rifles so only used upto around 70 yards and I agree, depending on reticle it can be obstructive depending on distance vs magnification, but I've not viewed long range with an FFP scope so I can only guess at how the sight picture may be? 

You're right about having time due to current conditions, that's why I thought I'd start getting some feedback with regards to scope. 

It seems Meopta Optik 6 and the Nikon FX1000 have been thrown into the mix as has the IOR Vulcan, not too sure on them as I've only got YouTube to let me know people's thoughts, and that can be mixed at best. 

I’d seriously look into the new Sig Sauer Tango4 scopes, the 6-25x50 with the Dev-L ret is awesome. It’s got great glass, awesome zero stop built in, tracks wonderfully and is generally a delight to use.

Opticswarehouse are doing the IOR 6-24x56 vulcan for 995 atm. MOA or MIL

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/ior-vulcan-6-24x56-illuminated-ffp-mil-riflescope

You need some mounts as well. Is the 1k budget including mounts?

You will want a 20 moa rail for 308 out to 1000 yards. The 56mm bell meant 38mm high mounts on a flat top pic rail for me.

I bought the above recently but I have only zeroed it and not had chance to use it properly yet. Glass seems very clear but I have nor compared it to the others mentioned above.

Matt

12 minutes ago, Webley said:

Opticswarehouse are doing the IOR 6-24x56 vulcan for 995 atm. MOA or MIL

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/ior-vulcan-6-24x56-illuminated-ffp-mil-riflescope

You need some mounts as well. Is the 1k budget including mounts?

You will want a 20 moa rail for 308 out to 1000 yards. The 56mm bell meant 38mm high mounts on a flat top pic rail for me.

I bought the above recently but I have only zeroed it and not had chance to use it properly yet. Glass seems very clear but I have nor compared it to the others mentioned above.

Matt

yeah I spotted that , It's one that I was looking at.  I'll have to get myself some mounts as the only spare ones I have for a CF at the moment are my Burris XTR signature rings and they don't give much clearance with a 50mm objective, especially if trying to get an extra 20moa

3 hours ago, Charlts said:

I’d seriously look into the new Sig Sauer Tango4 scopes, the 6-25x50 with the Dev-L ret is awesome. It’s got great glass, awesome zero stop built in, tracks wonderfully and is generally a delight to use.

Just watched a review after your post, I don't think it's one for me , but cheers for the suggestion.

Vortex Viper Gen2 is a no-brainer....the glass imho is better than any sightron I've looked through.  A used NSX is also a good shout and so is a new or used Bushnell DMR Elite....Plenty of those seem to find their way onto long range rifles and I know of a good few 50 cal users with one of those sat atop.  Mechanically very robust and reliable scopes but not in the same league as top class Euro optics from the likes of S&B/Swaro/Khales.  For mounts I'd recommend the Burris XTR Signature rings with a hefty amount of adjustment built into the design which will take you out to way beyond 1000yds.  Details here: https://www.rifleshootermagazine.co.uk/kit-tests/optics/in-depth-test-and-review-of-burris-xtr-signature-scope-rings-1-5640068

1 hour ago, VarmLR said:

Vortex Viper Gen2 is a no-brainer....the glass imho is better than any sightron I've looked through.  A used NSX is also a good shout and so is a new or used Bushnell DMR Elite....Plenty of those seem to find their way onto long range rifles and I know of a good few 50 cal users with one of those sat atop.  Mechanically very robust and reliable scopes but not in the same league as top class Euro optics from the likes of S&B/Swaro/Khales.  For mounts I'd recommend the Burris XTR Signature rings with a hefty amount of adjustment built into the design which will take you out to way beyond 1000yds.  Details here: https://www.rifleshootermagazine.co.uk/kit-tests/optics/in-depth-test-and-review-of-burris-xtr-signature-scope-rings-1-5640068

cheers , I already have the Burris rings, Looks like the Vortex is coming up as current favourite.

My choice would be Sightron SIII 8-32x56 LRMOA - Long Range MOA (1/4 MOA Tactical Turrets) Target Riflescope (£993.95) + you would need scope rings.

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/sightron-siii-8-32x56-long-range-target-riflescope-lrmoa-long-range-moa-1-4-moa-tactical-turrets

My son has been using one of these on a 6.5CM Ruger PR out to 1000 yards.

Even better if you can find a good second hand one of these.

I currently use a mix of  Sightron SIII 8-32x56, Sightron SIII 10-50x60 and Vortex Golden Eagle 15-60x52, in my opinion the Vortex is the better of the 3 as I find it clearer and has 1/8th adjustment clicks over the Sightrons 1/4, all of them have lifetime transferable warranties and I've managed to pick used ones up from £600 - £950 

5 hours ago, Deker said:

I currently use a mix of  Sightron SIII 8-32x56, Sightron SIII 10-50x60 and Vortex Golden Eagle 15-60x52, in my opinion the Vortex is the better of the 3 as I find it clearer and has 1/8th adjustment clicks over the Sightrons 1/4, all of them have lifetime transferable warranties and I've managed to pick used ones up from £600 - £950 

Nice scopes, I have the new Falcon X50 on my Anschutz BR scope, that is allegedly a rebadged S3 10-50x60?