.22 Rimfire military clone wish list?

Gerster

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, Kalahari said:

As an outsider, and considering the UK has been involved in sandy conditions conflict, I have often wondered if the South African R4 would have been a better and cheaper solution than the SA80? Interested to hear comments from people who really know about this stuff.

David.

A 1970s design with an action designed in the 1940s, they might as well have stuck with the original AR-18.

7 hours ago, brown dog said:

Pop quiz; name the middlemen MOD Abbeywood has used rather than buying direct ("because we need someone who can do the 'complicated' export paperwork")

Daniel Defense

Magpul

Glock

Edgars for DD and Magpul, but Viking for Glock.

Having dealt with HMG procurement depts at National and Local Govt level and had arguments about buying something at three times the price that it could be obtained for same day at Screwfix, for example, the answer they give is:

Our suppliers are vetted and they own the risk that the product is ethically made. That's why it costs more and why we only use vetted suppliers.

Basically the middle men are  the fall guys if it turns out that Magpul accessories for the British Army are made by 7 year old Vietnamese kids who sleep on the factory floor.

Also remember that these main dealers rely on Govt orders to keep in business, they aren't kept afloat by the shooting community, so they obtain exclusivity agreements to supply the UK etc. If they didn't then the manufacturers wouldn't be dealing with joe public or small gun shops, so everyone loses out. the Govt contracts are the cherry on the cake for being the appointed distributor.

Finally, if you've ever met HMG procurement people then you'll know it's a case of 'computer says no'

They certainly don't have the ability to manage onboarding, distribution, upkeep and maintaining the supply chain and if they handed that baton over to the RLC, for instance, someone would start saying 'why do we need a procurement dept' and turkeys don't vote for Christmas!

Thats the reason you'll never see a National Police Service because there are 43 Chief Officer teams, 43 Procurement Depts, 43 IT Depts, 43 everything and none of them are going to champion almagamation and reduce to 1 of each, no matter how large!

I’d buy a 22LR SA80 also.

Having used the A2 & A3 versions in competition and indeed a variety of other nations rifles on the range, my preference would be an A3 over other kit such as the M4 in my limited experience with the M4. I like the balance of the SA80 with the weight being back in my shoulder and with it being a bullpup - being short and easily pointed. 

The A3 is a good bit of kit other than burning fingers on the side of the gas block through the hole in the hand guard and the ever enduring sh!te trigger. 

2 hours ago, Roy W said:

Thats the reason you'll never see a National Police Service because there are 43 Chief Officer teams, 43 Procurement Depts, 43 IT Depts, 43 everything and none of them are going to champion almagamation and reduce to 1 of each, no matter how large!

apart from the amalgamated firearms depts of Staffs & West Midlands 😁    But I get your drift and agree

1 minute ago, Popsbengo said:

apart from the amalgamated firearms depts of Staffs & West Midlands 😁    But I get your drift and agree

Token gestures to appease Theresa Maybe, many of which are already falling apart, such as Glos/Wilts/A&S Operational Firearms Dept, and other collaborated units that are 'uncollaborating' 

It's all unravelling

I can see the draw for the SLR and SA80, especially for those have used them. Personally however I would really quite like the silenced version of the sten gun. Thinking a bit beyond that a few others that stand out to me are the German FG42, also the Russian SVD dragunov and VSS rifle would make quite a nice selection of .22lr semi autos should they become available.

Matt

1 hour ago, Webley said:

I can see the draw for the SLR and SA80, especially for those have used them. Personally however I would really quite like the silenced version of the sten gun. Thinking a bit beyond that a few others that stand out to me are the German FG42, also the Russian SVD dragunov and VSS rifle would make quite a nice selection of .22lr semi autos should they become available.

Matt

There is a Ruger 1022 done up to look like a VSS on guntrader just now.  A little fun gun, I am tempted by an SLR if one ever comes up for sale, I had my eye on the imbed 308 on here.  Just can’t justify the cash in uncertain times.

4 minutes ago, topscots1 said:

There is a Ruger 1022 done up to look like a VSS on guntrader just now.  A little fun gun, I am tempted by an SLR if one ever comes up for sale, I had my eye on the imbed 308 on here.  Just can’t justify the cash in uncertain times.

Linked but different, I keep wondering whether to buy an M40A5 airsoft in order to put my brno in the stock.

I built a chassis from scratch using AICS skins for my cz527 17 Hornet 

I previously built one for a CZ 17 hmr . But I sold that one on

i should add that I only did it as I couldn't find a decent stock & had all the parts in the shed .

image.jpeg

6 hours ago, brown dog said:

You previous one came up on a google search! 😊 - was that one an airsoft stock? Any recommendations or tips?  (A 'sturdy' AW can be got for <£100)

Wow ! Never thought I'd make a Google search ... 

Yeah. It was an Eagle airsoft l96 .. It took loads of modification with a dermal & sharp chisels & I still had to make an alloy chassis to run the lenght of it inside.

this picture was taken very early on in the development' stage. But as it was only for a rimfire it didn't need much more , as there is no recoil to worry about. 

It was really accurate & that's all that mattered really.

the 17 Hornet one was a much better concept, as it was made on similar lines but all built around the alloy chassis. 

image.jpeg