.22 Rimfire military clone wish list?

Gerster

Hello all, 

New member and first post. By way of intro, I enjoy a few shooting disciplines and shoot shotguns, rimfires, centre fires, air guns and when the weathers good I enjoy a bit of archery too. I’ve managed to introduce the missus into the joys of shooting - wasn’t that difficult as it happens, plenty of blingy guns out there to catch her eye and she’s now been fully licensed for the last 15 years or so. While my bank balance moans now and again, as she tends towards having an expensive taste, I have no regrets as it’s a pastime I enjoy sharing with her - except when she beats me at a round of clays.

As we are all presently stuck at home no doubt all wondering when we can get out to shoot again, I’ve been wondering about what guns I would love to see available in a semi auto format that aren’t currently available. I mean of course rimfires, including military clones but not limited to  them - anything really that would be your ideal fantasy rifle in either LR or WMR.  

Heres my list :

1) SLR/FN FAL - 22WMR

2) Bren Gun     - 22WMR 

3) Remington Model 8 - 22WMR

4) Swedish K  smg - 22lr

5) Mas 49 - 22WMR 

what would your top 5 semi autos be or what one gun that you may never get to shoot for real would you like to see available in a RF ?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, brown dog said:

A .22 SLR would hit the spot 👍

We had a .22LR Heckler & Koch modified SLR in basic training. Can't remember if they were still semi-automatic though??

I'll have one of those Tippmann M2 please (never seen that before)

There is a bit of history to .22LR Gatling guns - one of the most impressive things gun wise that I have seen is a couple of full size original Gatling guns with accompanying 1/6 scale models of them in .22 LR all fully functional. The thing was back in the day of US railroads and salesmen it was a bit difficult to lug a full size Gatling gun around so salesmen had 1/6 models in .22LR as demo pieces. Superb craftsmanship.

Given the history of the FAL and it’s variants and the degree of respect it has earned over its service across the world - it does beg the question why Umarex or anyone else for that matter has not yet done a version.

Anybody know why not? Licensing?

Much as I would love to rekindle my own service memories of the SLR I would personally prefer a RF one, ideally in WMR, than the straight pull. It must be viable surely? 

On 4/9/2020 at 8:42 PM, brown dog said:

Well, this prompted me to have a .22 slr dig around - on the civvy net, someone once made these:F5D97BA4-FED1-4CC2-8999-F4B22B3AEF76.jpeg.thumb.jpg.e02ff268ce8083cfac35874307c14da6.jpg034709DB-B397-4DAD-9119-11F74D800BFF.jpeg.thumb.jpg.ea078dd38272bdf48896a650b49f579c.jpg

ACEC2E3C-BCA6-4813-9B43-F2F8FFC37B9A.jpeg.thumb.jpg.aca5f8d2e74871df171d7254f12b33ed.jpg

5FBB3A5A-86DE-464B-9C19-84235518F06F.jpeg.thumb.jpg.96532334efc5eba22effd17c4bf84444.jpg

Doesn't look that dissimilar to  .22AR internals.

Imbel made a few hundred .22lr FN style rifles, we have two at our club..

Alan

On 4/11/2020 at 9:19 PM, Gerster said:

Alan,

if your club has two, any chance of them parting with one? Come on, share the love!

Lol not club guns but members... I had a go with one and it was great fun  

So if it fair to say that a rimfire SLR would be somewhere near the top of many of our lists then why isn’t someone making them? Bound to be more popular than some of the models so far release here. 

And if s/auto 22WMR are doable in an AR style platform, such as NWCP and now Guncraft do, why not one in SLR guise? 

Ive got a Hammerli Tac R1 and a Walther Uzi while the missus has a Sig 552. Swap all of them for a SLR.