UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts
EDP

Rifled shotgun barrels for slug - UK legal?

I thoroughly enjoy the Target Shotgun Slug events I've been able to join in with - after reading a bit and then watching some slug tests on pootube I'm interested to know if we're allowed rifled barrels on section 1 "firearm" shotguns? I'll give my FEO a shout, not sure if those chaps and ladies in my police firearms team are currently furloughed though, so thought I'd see if anyone on here knows for certain, one way or the other?

Can’t see why not, it’s just like a big rifle after all 

26 minutes ago, srvet said:

Can’t see why not, it’s just like a big rifle after all 

After you with that 5-gallon tin of glue 😁

OK - if you fit a rifled barrel to either a Pump Action or Self Loading shotgun = it then legally becomes a RIFLE
What's the legal status in the UK for Pump Action rifles or Semi Auto rifles (other than .22-rimfire?) = SECTION 5 = banned for mere mortals and not allowed for TSG/PSG type events

The consensus around even rifled choke tubes is that they better be avoided for the same reason - namely they might make the gun Section 5; this may not be set in stone yet, but anyone want to be the guinea pig in a legal test case to establish legal precedent??

Single or double barrel shotguns - or maybe even one of the lever actions?
Don't see any issue with them having a rifled barrel - and these barrels also can be sub-24" length as they'd no longer be on SGC - which means the min. 40" length for all semi/pump shotgun rules similarly don't apply

Just not sure how competitive some of the latter may be. Don't think many of the lever action models are around as yet.

They would make the gun illegal, as in section 5.

I looked in to this rifled chokes make the rifle a section 5. 

I believe a single and possibly a double barrelled rifled shotgun can be held on a fac. 

Thank you folks - I have a club buddy uses an Adler lever-action shotgun, and I love lever-action rifles, so that immediately appeals to me but I can't see how they aren't regarded in the same way as pumps when it comes to section 1? So a rifled barrel on one of those would fall foul of the regs in the same way?

There are some comps for "classic" shotguns - O/U, S/S, single barrel - I should look into this more, extra shooting fun! When we're allowed out to play again!

6 hours ago, EDP said:

Thank you folks - I have a club buddy uses an Adler lever-action shotgun, and I love lever-action rifles, so that immediately appeals to me
but I can't see how they aren't regarded in the same way as pumps when it comes to section 1?
Lever action RIFLES - a design with a rifled barrel, operated by a lever are Section One, held on F.A.C.
PUMP action rifles = i.e.  a rifled barrel firearm, operated by a pump/slide mechanism, were BANNED at the same time as SELF LOADING centre-fire rifles - so are SECTION FIVE

So a rifled barrel on one of those would fall foul of the regs in the same way?
NO.
A RIFLED BARREL on a LEVER ACTION SHOTGUN would be 100% LEGAL - but it would then be a Section One 12-bore RIFLE

There are some comps for "classic" shotguns - O/U, S/S, single barrel - I should look into this more, extra shooting fun! When we're allowed out to play again!
I use a Tula Toz double hammer gun for some of the classic stages.
Not a lot of money to buy, but look for the one with pistol grip stock not the straight one - found that out shooting slugs in quick succession. Had both of mine chopped down to just over 24"...

17 hours ago, saddler said:

After you with that 5-gallon tin of glue 😁

OK - if you fit a rifled barrel to either a Pump Action or Self Loading shotgun = it then legally becomes a RIFLE
What's the legal status in the UK for Pump Action rifles or Semi Auto rifles (other than .22-rimfire?) = SECTION 5 = banned for mere mortals and not allowed for TSG/PSG type events

The consensus around even rifled choke tubes is that they better be avoided for the same reason - namely they might make the gun Section 5; this may not be set in stone yet, but anyone want to be the guinea pig in a legal test case to establish legal precedent??

Single or double barrel shotguns - or maybe even one of the lever actions?
Don't see any issue with them having a rifled barrel - and these barrels also can be sub-24" length as they'd no longer be on SGC - which means the min. 40" length for all semi/pump shotgun rules similarly don't apply

Just not sure how competitive some of the latter may be. Don't think many of the lever action models are around as yet.

Ahhh yes I forgot about that !! 😕

so a bolt action rifled shotgun would therefore be legal? 

At least you would get free accommodation for a while !!

it's a shame as shooting sabot slugs looks an interesting idea (Some areas which troublesome backstops for example) but rifled barrels on your pump or semi aren't legit, sadly

Interestingly, for the "shotgun" / "slug zones" in the USA Browning and Savage make bolt action shotguns with a rifled barrel for shooting sabot slugs that seem to hold accuracy well at a couple of hundred yards

Scrummy

Never really understood the benefit of rifled 12g slug beyond a 'nice to have' as there's nothing you can't do better with an alternative.   A full power 45/70 405gn is around the same mass and same muzzle energy as a 12g slug but considerably more accurate especially at greater distance.  It's also much easier to justify a rifle over a slug gun.

Think you're definitely right Pops, slugs are "useful" because they add flexibility to your shotgun but with the deer acts we have not a lot of use here.

Still fun slinging them at turning targets though ;)

Scrummy

Can’t use a 45-70 in shotgun comps ...

Target shotgun and Practical shotgun are legitimate shooting disciplines ...both utilise slug.

Many thanks Saddler, and you other guys - yeah, I love my 45-70 but have found surprisingly few sociable fun comps for it. But lots of fun with shotguns. And loads of folk to have a fun day out with.

On 4/4/2020 at 10:55 PM, EDP said:

I thoroughly enjoy the Target Shotgun Slug events I've been able to join in with - after reading a bit and then watching some slug tests on pootube I'm interested to know if we're allowed rifled barrels on section 1 "firearm" shotguns? I'll give my FEO a shout, not sure if those chaps and ladies in my police firearms team are currently furloughed though, so thought I'd see if anyone on here knows for certain, one way or the other?

Only if they are a single shot / single barrel or a lever action ,  s/autos or pumps are a no go.

S1 I believe. Good luck getting a variation!

If by it’s addition to anything other than a single shot it makes it into section5. 

I rather like the idea of a lever action shotgun with a rifled barrel, if I'm understanding what Moorlander's saying? That would be great fun for Manual Division Target Shotgun Comps!! Is that right Moorlander, it'll remain S1 provided it's a lever action with a rifled barrel?

Thanks again folks, good to keep learning about all this.

42 minutes ago, EDP said:

I rather like the idea of a lever action shotgun with a rifled barrel, if I'm understanding what Moorlander's saying? That would be great fun for Manual Division Target Shotgun Comps!! Is that right Moorlander, it'll remain S1 provided it's a lever action with a rifled barrel?

Thanks again folks, good to keep learning about all this.

If it's rifled it's not a shotgun.