Dry firing

Bob D

Rim fire - never

Centre fire - I prefer to use a snap cap for practice to prevent the 'hard landing' of the firing pin at the end of the stroke but the occasional dry fire should be no problem.

If you don't have a snap cap, a fired case (with spent primer still in) will give a bit of protection.............better IMHO than an empty chamber.

Pete

Idea, maybe fill a primer pocket with some substance that will absorb impact like Permatex or rubber cement. How long will it last I have no idea but it will be better than beating a hole into a spent primer.

10 hours ago, Re-Pete said:

If you don't have a snap cap, a fired case (with spent primer still in) will give a bit of protection.............better IMHO than an empty chamber.

Pete

That’s what I do.

Why not fire a primed case just to keep things authentic and keep the neighbours awake? Just kidding 😇

Doesn't firing a live primer fit the definition of "Discharging a firearm", with or without a bit of greased up plasticine stuffed in the case neck..............?😲

Pete

41 minutes ago, saddler said:

...used with wax bullets FTW ?

😋

CCI-Speer make/made(?) a plastic cased pistol cartridge case that fired a plastic pistol bullet using a standard primer & NO powder.
I have some of the .38 cal ones among the collectables....may dig them out for a look.
The mate I got them from had them left over from the handgun days; he did use them for indoor practice sessions.

The Swedish army indoor practice round was similar to the above, but the projectile was a lightweight bullet jacket - no lead core.
I have some of the metal figure targets that they were used with

That brings back memories Saddler - I have a box of these, used to use them in my S&W Mod14 .38.

jR0VOedl.jpg?1

8 hours ago, Brillo said:

That’s what I do.

Why not fire a primed case just to keep things authentic and keep the neighbours awake? Just kidding 😇

8 hours ago, Brillo said:

That’s what I do.

Hi the problem with that is my neighbors are the Special Boat Service ( Royal Marines) Poole!!!!!!!!!

Bob

A lot depends on the rifle and the type of firing pin , all manufactures have different specs for there rifles also different do’s and do not’s too 

for example...

Several firearms manufacturers have laid out specific instructions regarding dry firing and whether or not it is a safe practice.

■ Anschutz does not recommend dry-firing its rimfires. It says frequent dry-firers should install its special firing pin. The company also notes that on most guns other parts, like springs, usually wear out before firing pins; the majority of its guns returned for damage from dry-firing come via Chinese and Japanese competitors, as these countries are known for dry-firing because places to actually fire a gunthere are rare.

■ Ruger says dry-firing the company’s 10/22 rifle will not damage it. This makes sense as I mentioned above, without the last round bolt hold-open device you will inevitably dry fire on an empty chamberonce you run out of ammo.

■ Henry Repeating Arms says shooters can dry-fire its guns all they want.

■ Smith & Wesson says dry-firing can damage rimfires.

■ Browning confirms dry-firing won’t damage firing pins or chambers of its newer guns.

and so on 👍

On 4/4/2020 at 3:46 AM, KABOOM said:

Idea, maybe fill a primer pocket with some substance that will absorb impact like Permatex or rubber cement. How long will it last I have no idea but it will be better than beating a hole into a spent primer.

How about a hot glue gun to fill a primer pocket on a sized case?

46 minutes ago, Mattnall said:

I made some .44Rem using high modulus silicon, seems to work

18 hours ago, Mattnall said:

That sounds a good idea. I’ll give that a try later, especially now I have so much ‘lockdown ‘ time on my hands.

On 4/5/2020 at 2:19 AM, One on top of two said:

A lot depends on the rifle and the type of firing pin , all manufactures have different specs for there rifles also different do’s and do not’s too 

for example...

Several firearms manufacturers have laid out specific instructions regarding dry firing and whether or not it is a safe practice.

■ Anschutz does not recommend dry-firing its rimfires. It says frequent dry-firers should install its special firing pin. The company also notes that on most guns other parts, like springs, usually wear out before firing pins; the majority of its guns returned for damage from dry-firing come via Chinese and Japanese competitors, as these countries are known for dry-firing because places to actually fire a gunthere are rare.

■ Ruger says dry-firing the company’s 10/22 rifle will not damage it. This makes sense as I mentioned above, without the last round bolt hold-open device you will inevitably dry fire on an empty chamberonce you run out of ammo.

■ Henry Repeating Arms says shooters can dry-fire its guns all they want.

■ Smith & Wesson says dry-firing can damage rimfires.

■ Browning confirms dry-firing won’t damage firing pins or chambers of its newer guns.

and so on 👍 

I wasn't aware that Anshutz felt that way, in my youth I always used a fired case and probably 20 or less times per day I dry fired while perfecting trigger control and sight picture while standing when I did compete

in Small Bore USA NRA matches. Springs held up fine . Some guns will not tolerate dry fire as inCZ52  7.62x25 Tokarev it has a cast iron firing pin. My Ruger MK2 target has peen marks that I can see but does not catch if I prod with a dental pick. When in doubt snap caps or home made snap caps if in doubt, I assume all rimfires will peen so fired cases for me. Always on hand and "free".

On 4/5/2020 at 9:36 AM, Mattnall said:

I see no reason not to try, hope it works!

We have a Winchester .22LR lever action for use by club probationers - we can't let them use it until they can count rounds because it knackers up the firing-pin every time.  We have got quite good at replacing it now 😁

We always use snap caps on Centre fires, and they are so easy to obtain mail order, so you can dry fire during this isolation.

Small bores if doing home training we either use a snap cap or an empty,  it also helps to practice process,  but I have to admit to not bothering for the few pre shoot dry's we do on the range.

Just for info, are you all aware the NRA has now banned snap caps at Bisley, after some moron could not tell the difference and accidentally discharged a live round! I believe it was a home made snap cap that looked much like a live round!

Our club is currently contesting this ruling, we only allow red or other coloured snap caps.

Have Fun

Robin

• 2 months later...

Thanks for that DIY snapcap suggestion...............I've been jamming bits of solder in............

Pete

a 10/22 dry fired can put a ridge on the barel (and or damage the pin ) with seems to hold the cartridge away causing missfires  , ive done a couple where the barrel needed to be re flatened then the work a treat ..

Guys,

Please note, that snap caps are PROHIBITED at Bisley, this following an incident when an idiot loaded a live round thinking it was a snap cap!!

The decision was taken at an NRA shooting committee meeting.

Have Fun

Robin