Very sad to inform you

Reecy

Dear all,

To the many shooters on this forum and the wider shooting world who knew him, I am greatly saddened to let you know that we have lost one of life's shooting gentlemen, earlier this morning Alan Francis Canavan passed away.

Alan was known to lots of us from the early 1990's and onwards when we were all shooting Practical Rifle which then went on to become High Power and then Civilian Service Rifle.

Alan's shooting history started a long time before that when he was a member of HM armed forces- notably he served in the 4th Battalion of the Parachute Regiment and later in his retirement, he took on a role in the Merseyside Army Cadet Force passing on shooting and other skills to those younger people who showed an interest.

There was more to Alan than met the eye and he took part in many shooting trips in the UK and America, they were events that he relished, not just for the competitive shooting and the travel but for the camaraderie and experience.

Alan was a true gent and would always show his good nature in all things-shooting or some other situation.

A great mate who will be missed by those who knew him.

atb

Steve Rees

Steve

Very saddened to her of Alan's passing, as you say he was a true gentleman and I did have the pleasure of shooting with him and downing a drink or two at Bisley.

Please pass on my condolences to him family and friends.

Regards

John

Sad news indeed.

I shot alongside Alan in the early days of CSR, it was always a pleasure to be partnered with him. One of our chats in the butts touched on his role in 4 Para and how well it was received by some of his family members living in the Irish Republic! 

My condolences to his family and shooting friends.