UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts
Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Strangelove

Steyr SSG Magazine Housing

Very interested in this project please keep the updates coming. I’m like a kid waiting for Xmas to see the outcome. 

So the company (Make It Quick for anyone interested) emailed yesterday saying they were starting production. I don’t want to jinx it but hopefully it wouldn’t have taken too long so might be in the post already! If not, hopefully it’ll be out today and I might get it by the weekend.

42 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Had an email saying it has been dispatched - watch this space!

We are.

Got it this afternoon - Royal Mail kept me on tenterhooks all day!

It fits very well for a first attempt. Will require some adjustments but it shouldn’t be too difficult. The magazines feed fine!

The next prototype will be 3D laser sintered to give a smoother finish. We’re definitely making good progress!

C9598BA2-E427-48EE-903D-9EB811EEC93E.jpeg

EEA2D44E-61B6-43FA-BDB1-66AC41EA3785.jpeg

A994394A-CF82-42D7-97E0-76ACC3D691B5.jpeg

539FB27C-C97C-419B-90B4-1C68CBE231C7.jpeg

2EDE43B2-3093-457A-9069-94CF4D31FBDD.jpeg

B42696B2-DAD6-48F1-8219-79EBD3CFC0D7.jpeg

BC8EDBC2-D1E9-481F-AAE4-0BACF56ECDBF.jpeg

Nice job

Mate here has a new 3D printer that uses a liquid not filament - AMAZING quality - absolutely no layering lines or such: akin to going from a 1970s dot-matrix to a colour laser jet

Look forward to continued updates

On 3/29/2020 at 11:34 AM, Dr. Strangelove said:

Hi all,

I’ve recently picked up a SSG 69 and the magazine housing/trigger guard has definitely seen better days!

I know the Styria Arms bottom metal AICS conversion is an option and I’ve heard Staffordshire Synthetic Stocks make a stock that would fit but I want to keep it as original as possible.

To that end, do any of the gunsmiths on here think it would be possible to remake the original magazine housing out of metal? I imagine yes but would it cost the earth? Would 3D printing be an option?

I’ve got 2 x 5rd and 1 x 10rd Steyr magazine that I’d like to still be able to use if able!

Any other information would be greatly received.

Many thanks,

Dr. Strangelove 

On 5/6/2020 at 8:59 AM, Dr. Strangelove said:

So the company (Make It Quick for anyone interested) emailed yesterday saying they were starting production. I don’t want to jinx it but hopefully it wouldn’t have taken too long so might be in the post already! If not, hopefully it’ll be out today and I might get it by the weekend.

I have an old trigger housing if your interested nothing wrong with it

By way of an update, the 3D model will hopefully have some tweaks made this weekend. After that, we’ll get another version printed. Once that’s tested we should be in a position to proceed with the initial batch. 

I’ve ordered a second 3D printed model, should be here next Weds. With the tweaks that have been made from the first (nothing major, just the odd angle change and making it fit slightly more snugly (for aesthetics if nothing else!)), all being well we can then move on to placing the CNC order.

From reading up on it, I think 7075-T6 aluminium will be the way to go. If anyone else thinks otherwise please let me know!