Steyr SSG Magazine Housing

Dr. Strangelove

Hi all,

I’ve recently picked up a SSG 69 and the magazine housing/trigger guard has definitely seen better days!

I know the Styria Arms bottom metal AICS conversion is an option and I’ve heard Staffordshire Synthetic Stocks make a stock that would fit but I want to keep it as original as possible.

To that end, do any of the gunsmiths on here think it would be possible to remake the original magazine housing out of metal? I imagine yes but would it cost the earth? Would 3D printing be an option?

I’ve got 2 x 5rd and 1 x 10rd Steyr magazine that I’d like to still be able to use if able!

Any other information would be greatly received.

Many thanks,

Dr. Strangelove 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Evening,

The Styria arms bottom metal is the way to go, it really is superb.

If the original bottom metal were to be remanufactured in steel or alloy it would seriously wear out the plastic locking lugs on the original mags. 

Steyr now produce an improved version of the plastic mag well for the 69 with metal reinforcements around the screw holes.

Kind regards,

Bob.

Thanks for the reply, Bob.

Something I’d not thought of to be honest! I reckon if it’s made of aluminium it shouldn’t be too bad. If the magazine release catches on both sides of the magazine are fully depressed it retracts the locking lugs so shouldn’t wear on them too much. I guess there’s only one way to find out!

I’m not opposed to the Styria bottom metal it’s just so expensive for what it is!

I’ve seen a few of the reinforced versions knocking around so that might be an option down the line.

The Styria unit is extremely well engineered, all be it slightly heavy. 
I had it fitted to both my 69’s... makes me regret in a moment of rash stupidity I sold both of them.

I have used SSG69’s for both work (culling) and recreational shooting for over 20 years and to be honest I don’t think that anything can touch them out of the box, yes the mag housing is need of upgrade for sure but for a rifle that’s 50 years old it still takes some beating. 

Sad day when production stopped.

Kind regards,

Bob. 

3 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Thanks for the reply, Bob.

Something I’d not thought of to be honest! I reckon if it’s made of aluminium it shouldn’t be too bad. If the magazine release catches on both sides of the magazine are fully depressed it retracts the locking lugs so shouldn’t wear on them too much. I guess there’s only one way to find out!

I’m not opposed to the Styria bottom metal it’s just so expensive for what it is!

I’ve seen a few of the reinforced versions knocking around so that might be an option down the line.

The reinforced versions have been on mine for at least a couple of years and seem to be working fine. There is no doubt that the Styria bottom metal versions are a fit once and forget, but a hell of a lump and I hated the rattly AI magazines. 

13 hours ago, bobthenailer said:

Especially not good for a die hard fan who in a what can be described as a WTF did I do moment sold both of his 69’s and would love to replace them ☹️ 

I know where there is a tidy .243 at a very reasonable price if interested

19 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Any idea why they stopped making them, Bob?

Did you get the reinforced versions from Steyr directly, Blueroll?

I got them from the official importer, Sportsman Gun Centre.

I got a mate of mine to copy the magazine housing out of aluminium and then cerakoted it. It fitted spot on and means I can use the original magazines. He made it on a CNC machine so I’m assuming he could replicate it. PM me and I’ll pass on his details if you’re interested.

regards

There was a rifle Smith in the south who was making alloy copies can’t recall who though

they also did tikka 595 bottom metal