Blueing an SMLE sight fixing plate.

I managed to find one of the above in South Africa which arrived this week; whilst in good overall condition there is no original finish on it whatsoever.

The sight that will be attached is a BSA 9c and looks to have been a "sleeper" still showing good signs of deep blueing. My thoughts are to blue it using heat and oil. This is something I have never attempted before, nor any other type of blueing come to that.

Any thoughts tips; type of oil, colour of metal after heating etc would be gratefully received.

I would appear to have some spare time on my hands over the next few weeks! 🙄

5 minutes ago, Strangely Brown said:

I managed to find one of the above in South Africa which arrived this week; whilst in good overall condition there is no original finish on it whatsoever.

The sight that will be attached is a BSA 9c and looks to have been a "sleeper" still showing good signs of deep blueing. My thoughts are to blue it using heat and oil. This is something I have never attempted before, nor any other type of blueing come to that.

Any thoughts tips; type of oil, colour of metal after heating etc would be gratefully received.

I would appear to have some spare time on my hands over the next few weeks! 🙄

I would suggest a cold bluing solution like Birchwood Casey Perma Blue if you want a durable finish.  It's pretty good if you follow the instructions accurately especially cleaning.

I would avoid heating the plate and possibly changing the hardness/temper