UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts
KABOOM

Barrrel life

Im curious about what you gents consider adequate barrel life and perhaps the style of shooting you do Hunting F class ect? thanks

I've had 223 barrels last me 14K rounds and still be competitive at PR and others need changing at 3000 rounds. I know a few top shooters in the States who will not go to the Nationals at Camp Perry with a barrel that's shot over 1000.

I find as soon as I think I can shoot better than the barrel it's time to change. Usually this is between 3000 and 6000 for .223.

My last barrel had just done about 5500 and I hadn't realised how bad it was - I had taken 2½ years off competitive shooting for health reasons and started this season of CSR thinking that although the scores were passable the errors were just me being out or practice. But I changed the barrel over the winter break and was surprised at the difference. I'm not as rusty as I first thought! However the virus shut-down has halted the practice I was hoping to get before the Imperial that would prove it.

My last barrel (.223 Sassen) has just had 5k through it and I was getting a few flyers so Nick @ Bradley is rebarreling it for me.  But like you Matt, I was running pretty hot loads through it all season.  

There are so many factors involved in this, it’s an almost impossible question to answer.

Barrel material, method of manufacture (eg cut, button, hammer forging), calibre, powder used, charge weight, pressure generated, heat generated, long strings of fire (hot barrel), slow strings of fire (cool barrel), cleaning solvents, method of cleaning are some of the factors that will determine barrel life.

In terms of accuracy from barrel life, that’s rather subjective too. A comp shooter may say only 2000-3000 rounds of x-calibre because it’s no longer consistently shooting 0.25MOA. Whereas a hunter with same barrel and calibre might say 5000+ rounds because they’re still shooting sub MOA.

Good blog, the first in a new series, on the matter;

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2020/03/24/how-fast-does-a-barrel-wear/

3 hours ago, Catch-22 said:

There are so many factors involved in this, it’s an almost impossible question to answer.

Barrel material, method of manufacture (eg cut, button, hammer forging), calibre, powder used, charge weight, pressure generated, heat generated, long strings of fire (hot barrel), slow strings of fire (cool barrel), cleaning solvents, method of cleaning are some of the factors that will determine barrel life.

In terms of accuracy from barrel life, that’s rather subjective too. A comp shooter may say only 2000-3000 rounds of x-calibre because it’s no longer consistently shooting 0.25MOA. Whereas a hunter with same barrel and calibre might say 5000+ rounds because they’re still shooting sub MOA.

Good blog, the first in a new series, on the matter;

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2020/03/24/how-fast-does-a-barrel-wear/

Perfect reply! we tend to all think in the same way. To date my CZ550 22-250 has 4400 rnds down the tube, been hot enough to brand cattle and still does .50 5 shot groups, yes it slowed 150 fps. When I see keyholes its new barrel time. My other 22-250 was built in 1951 purchased used and zero idea of round count .25 is normal grouping for this one, 30 inch barrel means 3850 fps with a 50grn Nosler Ballistic tip over CFE ,223, Lapua brass, Federal 210M primers.

When I was shooting F class competitively I would recon on 8-900 rounds on a 7mm WSM or similar 1500 on. Shehane 

Deer work/ range / practice  - sub 1400 accurate rounds on 6.5/284 (over the years had four barrels on one action ) 

2000 to 3000  on 6.5/47  (three barrels on two actions  ) depending on how the barrel is looked after 

25-06 sub 1500

Ive yet to shoot out a 308 barrel 

Well, I agree with about 800 rounds from a 7mmWSM for F Class shooting but for benchrest you can drop that to about 450.

308?  I couldn't believe my first FTR barrel was goosed after 1100 rounds - I'll not be using Vit N540 again.......

My Orsis .308 barrel has done 2,350 rounds now.  Still almost as good as new.  I load 155 Lapua Scenar with N140 at around 2,730fps av.

I shoot on a gallery range so the shot-rate is low and barrel heating is therefor also low.

I clean after every shoot (usually 30 to 40 rounds) using Wipe Out and a nylon brush.  Very infrequently copper remover used.  I have a Hawkeye bore scope and everything looks fine.  The throat has next to no erosion based on my gauge figures.  The barrel has cut rifling at 1:11

I think those Russkies know how to make good steel!