Going shooting during Covid-19

walkabout

3 minutes ago, sam39 said:

Yes why not discuss? I see stalking as more risky, chance of a knife accident involving hospital treatment. Shooting vermin out of your truck window or on your farm is diffrent.

i have decided to stop shooting at the moment. Got too much work on anyway and want to play it safe with my permissions and police 

I don't think shooting on your own farm is the issue, travelling to a permission carries a risk (no matter how slight), you could break down or have an accident which would require the involvement of others, if you're using your vehicle you're using fuel , so using a fuel pump to fill up again exposes you potentially.  The risks may be very very small but they exist none the less

I think it’s all getting a bit tenuous to be honest, yes there’s risk but unless EVERYONE  stays indoors and I mean everyone there’s going to be risks , joe bloggs driving to his shoot will have less implications than going to a supermarket, he could even have and accident , or even run out of fuel . It can happen no mater what your doing . 

we have horses and every day they have to be put out , watered , skipped out and exercised , then put away in the evenings  , that’s 7 days a week . 
and that’s the same for everyone else at stables 

but more importantly Due to the heavy rains we have had since Christmas the farms are only now ( as in this week ) starting to drill the fields with crops and therefore will be extremely venerable from all sorts of pests for the foreseeable future. As you can fully understand protection of our crops from 

“ field to fork “ throughout the country is vital.

We are also at the start of lambing as well which poses other problems in its own right . 

A lot of us just can’t walk away 

I tend to agree.  The restrictions are designed to flatten the peak to help the NHS to cope, and quite rightly so, not about reducing risks to individuals to nothing as that's cloud cuckoo...we're told that most of us will get it at some point or other  and if we are unfortunate enough to contract the more aggressive form, the NHS needs to be able to deal with those numbers at any point in time.  At the moment it's all about the maths. 

Personally, the risk associated of travelling to a permission close by to undertake say pest control are being grossly over stated and exaggerated imho. They've almost become straw man arguments designed to panic us.  The real danger is in social contact and there's more danger of that out walking to get your 1 hour of exercise a day or whatever.  I've seen it myself on the Cotswold Way where out for a 30 minute walk it was like wading across Picadilly Circus!  People in large groups, dogs walkers stopping for a chat, even families out picnicking! People handling gates, touching styles, passing in close proximity.  That, for me, was the last straw and I will be choosing more unsociable hours for my walks in future.  In contrast, jumping into your car and travelling 3 or 4 miles to your permission on largely deserted roads and not coming into contact with anyone (letting the landowner know by phone when you arrive) carries little risk...lets be honest about this.   Glos licensing has confirmed that pest control during lambing is fine provided all social contact has been avoided.  I have it in black and white.  However I haven't been tempted to wander out, despite repeated requests by the landowner that employs me to undertake these things because I don't yet know what Uniform's standing orders are on the matter. I've left that back with the feo who will check and get back to me next week.  Until then, I'm staying put. 

The state overnight has been handed more controls over it's governed people than at any time in living memory, and even churches, with freedom of religion and to practice it protected from the times of the Magna Carta, have been ridden roughshod over when in many cases there are means by which controls could be exercised to safeguard the faithful and the clergy...since when did fundamental beliefs and the associated sacraments cease being essential?  They're certainly essential for the health of the souls of the faithful.  I find some of the contradictions at play  confusing at best.  Look at the underground in London...services paired back to the bone so that those reduced numbers of commuters are now packed in like baked beans making their risks worse, not better! We're living through some very worrying times folks.

All just imho and I don't for one second condone anything that genuinely increases risk to people or would be illicit.  It's healthy to discuss these things and what civil liberties are left presently, it's important that we can freely be allowed to discuss these things without things descending into the childish bun fight that happened over on SD with some surprising aggression shown there, choice language and insults flying about left right and centre.  What is happening to people, seriously?  Such behaviour is never something I see as acceptable as it denies the human dignity of others. 

I like to think we are all sensible as well. I just think its better to leave this alone after seeing some of the rubbish that was put on SD and personal attacks on people with differing  opinions of the Covid 19 restrictions and shooting. I will therefore do what I do and leave it to you to do what you do. 🦌💀

Yep I couldn't belong to a forum like SD where until you've had 3000 posts you're slapped down by some of the older residents for posting something which isn't quite to their liking , mind you, might be nice to be called sonny again, it's been a long time 😯😂😂

10 hours ago, Bob57 said:

Yep I couldn't belong to a forum like SD where until you've had 3000 posts you're slapped down by some of the older residents for posting something which isn't quite to their liking...

My stalking mentor, a professional stalker on a large estate in Scotland, said that “The standard of debate on SD would disgrace an 8-year-old.”

l found this out to my cost when l posted some carefully-researched information about a popular stalking load. All of the Colonel Faw-Faws (who seem to swarm on SD) pounced on me to tell me that what two different makes of chronograph - in the hands of two experienced users - had indicated, couldn’t in fact have happened. My polite attempts to restate my case were met with them metaphorically sticking their fingers in their ears and chanting “La-la-la, didn’t happen!

maximus otter

The simple advice is stay at home 

If you live on a farm or estate and carry out rifle work on a paid basis you should be ok continuing to regulate vermin and deer numbers 

I wouldn’t test the boundaries any further than that 

I agree the childish behaviour on other web forums is not good 

Neither was the constant whinging that “I can’t get out, what if this, what if that”,,,,,

Follow the rules 

Stay at home unless you fall into the exceptions bracket 

Lovely little song to remind us what to do 

Yes.  I'd only add to that sensible advice, especially where deer are concerned, that prior thought is given to how they might be handled being mindful of the need for social distancing.  If it can't be done without social contact, I guess the simple answer is "don't do it". 

Personally, (and it is personal opinion) I can't see any desperate need for controlling deer presently with the possible exception of preventing imminent crop damage.  Conversely, for many, lambing season will justify corvid and fox control. 

People will do what people will need to do and as grown ups I'm sure we're mindful of what is sensible and what is not,  irrespective of the mud that some forums are slinging around.  As for SD members, there are a few good ones (especially the few that also frequent UKV ;-)).  The members who took over those particular recent debates need to do some growing up.  They demonstrated pack mentality of the lowest common denominator.  Their opinions are not authority and shutting down of discussions in such a manner does them no favours to the shooting community.  Talk about own goals! Best leave that one there.

2 hours ago, Ronin said:

The simple advice is stay at home 

If you live on a farm or estate and carry out rifle work on a paid basis you should be ok continuing to regulate vermin and deer numbers 

I wouldn’t test the boundaries any further than that 

I agree the childish behaviour on other web forums is not good 

Neither was the constant whinging that “I can’t get out, what if this, what if that”,,,,,

Follow the rules 

Stay at home unless you fall into the exceptions bracket 

Lovely little song to remind us what to do 

Love that song 👍, just had us all laughing 😂.

BASC updates Coronavirus pest control advice

AFTER consulting Defra, BASC has updated its advice for conducting essential pest control during the Coronavirus restrictions imposed by government:

In line with the Prime Minister’s statement, when making a decision on whether or not to conduct essential wildlife management you should consider:

• Is the landowner, or person responsible for giving permission, happy for you to be on the land in the current crisis?
  • Can you maintain effective social distancing? 
  • Is the management involved absolutely essential?
  • Is there a risk that your activities could result in the emergency services being called out? For example, someone reporting shots being fired.
  • Should you inform the local police in advance that you are going out? If you do, secure the reference number for the call.

Everyone’s circumstances are different so individual decisions will have to be made, although the onus will be on remaining off the land. So-called ‘recreational shooting’ or taking clients shooting are ruled out at present.

Be aware that you should be able to stand up your decision if you are challenged by the enforcement authorities or you risk a fine and may put your certificate at risk.

BASC has published a number of FAQs around Coronavirus and shooting. These are on the dedicated Coronavirus page on our website.

That's almost bang-on what my FEO advised a week ago.  It is permissible to travel short (reasonably) distances to reach a permission where pest control is thought essential by the landowner and your services are requested AFAIK.  ie...the decision to go ultimately is taken by the shooter at the shooter's risk but if at the behest of a farmer during lambing for example, and you don't have far to travel and can exercise social distancing, licensing in my neck of the woods are happy with that.  Doesn't apply to stalking or any form of recreational shooting, including for the "purpose of exercise"  for which no driving anywhere is currently permitted.

I would also recommend a letter from your land owner requesting you to attend  As needed  to the farm to carry out crop / livestock protection or both as you are the principal pest controller 

as crops / livestock or both are especially vulnerable for the coming months 

you get the picture . 

but the point being the signed letter can be left in the car in case you get stopped .