Semi Custom 22lr

ColinBR

Anyone gone down the route of a semi custom 22lr rifle on here?

Im after a new rifle and was all set for spending a fair bit of my hard earned on a good Anschutz, and was looking at the new 1761 series or even the BR50. 

Then I got thinking of actually having a rifle put together with an Anschutz 54 action, (reason being I already have a 2 stage trigger to suit). Having a good gunsmith fit a good barrel on it to suit, then drop it in a nice stock. 

Rifle will be used for benchrest mainly but dont want a benchrest stock, as I prefer the tactical look. Would also prefer to have it magazine fed with the option to single feed for competition via singe shot sled. Should be easy enough using the likes of a Anschutz 1710 series action. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, ColinBR said:

Anyone gone down the route of a semi custom 22lr rifle on here?

Im after a new rifle and was all set for spending a fair bit of my hard earned on a good Anschutz, and was looking at the new 1761 series or even the BR50. 

Then I got thinking of actually having a rifle put together with an Anschutz 54 action, (reason being I already have a 2 stage trigger to suit). Having a good gunsmith fit a good barrel on it to suit, then drop it in a nice stock. 

Rifle will be used for benchrest mainly but dont want a benchrest stock, as I prefer the tactical look. Would also prefer to have it magazine fed with the option to single feed for competition via singe shot sled. Should be easy enough using the likes of a Anschutz 1710 series action. 

You mean a bit like this?

Shoots like a dream, but had real problems with ejection. Apparently this afflicts the 1710 across the board, not very good when you consider the price of an Anschutz vs an ultra reliable CZ etc.

73CF6ED2-65A4-417C-A90A-D59E17D0F457.jpeg

49 minutes ago, Ballistol said:

You mean a bit like this?

Shoots like a dream, but had real problems with ejection. Apparently this afflicts the 1710 across the board, not very good when you consider the price of an Anschutz vs an ultra reliable CZ etc.

73CF6ED2-65A4-417C-A90A-D59E17D0F457.jpeg

Didnt realise there were ejection issues with the 1710. I wouldnt be looking at a chassis as a stock. I prefer something like a Manners T4 or the likes stock. Or 1 of the stocks from a member on here. PSE I think it is. 

I've just sold a CZ 455 precision trainer which was superbly accurate, but want a rifle to last a lifetime, as its only rimfire I shoot due to lack of time to get fullbore shooting. Nothing wrong with a CZ in any way. Just want something a bit special. 

1 hour ago, les said:

Most 54 series rifles with a heavy barrel e.g., 1413, 1613, 1813 can be used for benchrest without having to fit a new barrel.

Im looking for something that is magazine fed. I would take it that those are all single shot actions? 

Reason being we shoot different timed comps. (just inhouse comps) 

7 hours ago, Andrew said:

Why buy an Anshutz to rebarrel??  It's like buying a Ferrari to install a volkswagen engine. 

Get a Tikka T1X, drop it into a decent chassis, and spend the rest of your budget on glass.~Andrew

You have a point there, I could buy a match 54 and just use the barrel on it. 

Reason I was thinking action and rebarrel is that I can pick up an older 54 for not much £, and if needed factor in a rebarrel. 

Reason I'm headind down the Anschutz route is thats its something that I have used since in my early teens shooting comps for army cadets. 

Already have a scope sitting there for it. 

ColinBR

There are ejection issues on new 64's as well - but easily solved and well documented on InterWeb as how to. My Annie MPR exhibited said problems but now no issue - but a bit galling when you spend ££ on a good rifle and have to do a bit of work.

Annie barrels are (normally) very nice and will shoot once you find the ammo they like, think you need to put a good few 1000's of rounds down them before they go south? Never owned a 22rf that I've 'shot out'. Good few older 54's around to pick from.

I ended up using a barrel clamp to get my 65 into the same Sentinel stock as my FB rifles, shoots vey well with Centre-X;

1613953014_MPRSentinel.thumb.JPG.34471133c53bd832cd7e1b5aa8c65d0d.JPG

Now just need to sort a linkage between the FB mag release and the Annie's

Put a Harrels tuner onto the rifle, also now balances similar to the 65.x47 FB with a suppressor on.

1138683269_MPRwithtuner.thumb.jpg.b2adaa2b1852c827062fd4fff5fbbf1e.jpg

Think 22rf's are very under rated, good fun and a challenge to shoot well?

T

Hi Ewan,

I sorted the geometries to get things like the trigger to be in the right place, line up existing bottom metal 'holes' for a FB action screws to meet the barrel clamp and then drew up the clamp on AutoCAD, had a machine shop make it (but could have gone the 3D printed in metal route)

1681398960_clamp1.thumb.jpg.2da166d1a2152c7c4a42430a7a953520.jpg

then installed/bedded myself using grey Marine-Tex, keeping everything inline with barrel channel, square to stock/FB bottom metal.

358007905_clamp2.thumb.jpg.6907787fd2b2c9e5f59f327c40f96a22.jpg

If doing this over it is probably easier to just buy something like a Barrelled Ultimatum Deuce or Vudoo and drop straight into a FB stock - but they did not exist when I was doing this (and I already had the Annie MPR).

Still, I like it and it shoots way better than me, won the local 100m shoot for score comp a few weeks ago so good enough! 

T

1 hour ago, terryh said:

ColinBR

There are ejection issues on new 64's as well - but easily solved and well documented on InterWeb as how to. My Annie MPR exhibited said problems but now no issue - but a bit galling when you spend ££ on a good rifle and have to do a bit of work.

Annie barrels are (normally) very nice and will shoot once you find the ammo they like, think you need to put a good few 1000's of rounds down them before they go south? Never owned a 22rf that I've 'shot out'. Good few older 54's around to pick from.

I ended up using a barrel clamp to get my 65 into the same Sentinel stock as my FB rifles, shoots vey well with Centre-X;

1613953014_MPRSentinel.thumb.JPG.34471133c53bd832cd7e1b5aa8c65d0d.JPG

Now just need to sort a linkage between the FB mag release and the Annie's

Put a Harrels tuner onto the rifle, also now balances similar to the 65.x47 FB with a suppressor on.

1138683269_MPRwithtuner.thumb.jpg.b2adaa2b1852c827062fd4fff5fbbf1e.jpg

Think 22rf's are very under rated, good fun and a challenge to shoot well?

T

This is the sort of way I want to head with the 54 action instead of the 64.

My dad has the MPR so no point heading down that route as we have a shared license, so get to use it whenever wanted and him with my rifles also. 

His shoots brilliantly and no extraction issues yet, though only a year old. 

Ewen, 

that’s where 3D metal printing comes in, you can include the taper easily then a bit of Loctite and you are away

Colin

if you just want a single shot then the 54 is your friend. I wanted a repeater so the 64 based MPR was only option that made sense at the time. By floating the action the advantages of the 54 or the 64 went away, the action now only holds the cartridge in the chamber 😎

re ejector issues, perhaps Annie have now sorted, my rifle is about 5 years old and the cheap stamped extractor did not work 100%, , applying a stone here and there fixed it

good luck on your quest

terry

4 hours ago, ColinBR said:

Im looking for something that is magazine fed. I would take it that those are all single shot actions? 

Reason being we shoot different timed comps. (just inhouse comps) 

Yes, all single shot, so definitely no good for your needs.

1 hour ago, terryh said:

Ewen, 

that’s where 3D metal printing comes in, you can include the taper easily then a bit of Loctite and you are away

Colin

if you just want a single shot then the 54 is your friend. I wanted a repeater so the 64 based MPR was only option that made sense at the time. By floating the action the advantages of the 54 or the 64 went away, the action now only holds the cartridge in the chamber 😎

re ejector issues, perhaps Annie have now sorted, my rifle is about 5 years old and the cheap stamped extractor did not work 100%, , applying a stone here and there fixed it

good luck on your quest

terry

Hi Terry

Definitely a repeater for me also. Hence maybe a 1710 action or an older 1422 action. 

1 minute ago, saddler said:

My first .22 bolt action was an Anschutz.
It came with one magazine.
I went to buy a 2nd magazine.
It was cheaper (then) to part-ex the Anschutz & get a BRNO Mod.2 then buy BRNO spare mags than get more Anshutz mags.
Owned the Mod.2 for about 30 years - it was a tack driver from day 1 

Yea the anschutz magazines still aint cheap. Around the £60-£70 mark if I remember correctly. 

Passed my CZ 452 onto my father inlaw which again shot amazingly well with the cheap trigger kit fitted. 

Yes absolutely done this. Sako P94 varmint action and trigger. Lilja 20” Sundberg taper barrel in a Dolphin modular stock with a Hogue grip. DIP pic rail with Nightforce Unimount holding a Sightron STAC 2.5-17x56. Sits on a Sinclair BR foot. 

it’s immensely satisfying and rewarding building your own rifle and I cannot recommend it enough! 

1CE1AE2D-BDA8-4BC5-99D3-5960D2E216FC.jpeg

1 hour ago, The Burpster said:

Yes absolutely done this. Sako P94 varmint action and trigger. Lilja 20” Sundberg taper barrel in a Dolphin modular stock with a Hogue grip. DIP pic rail with Nightforce Unimount holding a Sightron STAC 2.5-17x56. Sits on a Sinclair BR foot. 

it’s immensely satisfying and rewarding building your own rifle and I cannot recommend it enough! 

1CE1AE2D-BDA8-4BC5-99D3-5960D2E216FC.jpeg

That looks the business that. Bet it shoots great too. I'm just having trouble trying to find a decent stock that will take the anschutz 54 action. 

Might need to call a few smiths to find out my options. 

15 minutes ago, Ballistol said:

Looks good that. 

Had an issue with a new MTR and had to send it back for a refund. So kind of put off by the new CZ. 

On 3/24/2020 at 2:52 PM, saddler said:

My first .22 bolt action was an Anschutz.
It came with one magazine.
I went to buy a 2nd magazine.
It was cheaper (then) to part-ex the Anschutz & get a BRNO Mod.2 then buy BRNO spare mags than get more Anshutz mags.
Owned the Mod.2 for about 30 years - it was a tack driver from day 1 

Hi I’ve owned this old 1427 since 2000 I was lucky enough to get it off a guy in Fort William for basically peanuts, his mrs had only ever used it as a single shot target rifle so all the mags were present and unused. I’ve often thought of upgrading the stock to something akin to some of the rimfires on this post, but options seem to be limited so if anyone has any idea of what might fit I’d be open to suggestions. Cheers 

93EDB1E4-6065-463E-A7B2-FE56F1622546.jpeg

9 hours ago, ColinBR said:

Looks good that. 

Had an issue with a new MTR and had to send it back for a refund. So kind of put off by the new CZ. 

What was the issue with the MTR?  Ive had one for about a year now with no problems other than I wish it had an adjustable comb, hence I do fancy the stock on the LRP.  I wonder if it will be avaialable without the action?