Anyone built a 6.5PRC in the UK yet?

I've been sat on a suitable spare action for some time, not knowing what to do with it and much as I understand the Creedmoor is the current darling, interested to see if anyone has taken the plunge on this which looks like it has some legs.

I very nearly did but went 6.5 4s in the end. Partly cos PRS is hornady brass and at the time there was no factory ammo.

I figure for hand loading, may as well have the extra clout of a SAUM. If i was going factory then the PRS would have been my choice. 

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Its short action.

Probably exactly the same design brief as the creedmoor was all those years ago.

Make it shoot a certain weight, at a certain speed, out of a short action magazine.

its got a good few fps on the creed. having just got the 6.5 and the .30 reamers, i'm quite keen to try it myself. Dont think it will kill barrels like a 4S does.

Have a mate with the 6.5 PRC, mausingfield S/A. Phenomenally accurate at 1000 yards, successive Vbulls on an Fclass face.  Barrel is 24" and using a 147 ELDM getting circa 2850 so probably could push it a bit harder. Only problem is when loading them long, to take advantage of case capacity, they are getting a bit long for the mag and if mag feeding tend to catch on the action feed ramp and stall. I'm thinking about getting one chambered either for a single feed short action or a long action repeater. I don't think there is any advantage in using this calibre in a PRL comp as the recoil is too much for a fast recovery to see the splash, great for a more sedate ERL comp.

• 1 month later...
On 10/7/2020 at 9:20 AM, rangerunner said:

Have a mate with the 6.5 PRC, mausingfield S/A. Phenomenally accurate at 1000 yards, successive Vbulls on an Fclass face.  Barrel is 24" and using a 147 ELDM getting circa 2850 so probably could push it a bit harder. Only problem is when loading them long, to take advantage of case capacity, they are getting a bit long for the mag and if mag feeding tend to catch on the action feed ramp and stall. I'm thinking about getting one chambered either for a single feed short action or a long action repeater. I don't think there is any advantage in using this calibre in a PRL comp as the recoil is too much for a fast recovery to see the splash, great for a more sedate ERL comp.

Hi Folks

A post is long overdue, and as there are not so many 6.5PRC's out there in the UK, I thought it's time to add some detail.

The gun is shooting very well, thanks to Dasherman who did a great job in re chambering a 28" 6.5CM barrel to fit a Mausingfield M5 action.

Rangerunner knows the gun, although he forgot I switched barrels, it's actually a 28" Bartlein. The 24" was a parallel project in 6.5CM with both sitting in the same MPA chassis, so an easy mixup.

The feed ramp now has a wider aperture, so feeding rounds at max OAL is no longer a problem. I'm using 147ELD's at 0.010" off the lands, giving an average COAL of 2.943". ARC mag's will take a COAL of 2.970", so 27thou to spare.

There is not much European powder data available, so load development is ongoing. I have N165 and 170 to hand, so this is what I've used so far.

Having worked up to 56gns of N165, I'm getting 2850fps, and with 58gns of N170 an asthmatic 2790fps. Bullets are moly coated and not surprisingly pressure signs are low in all areas.

An experiment to check for max fill using a loose case neck, gives me 58.5gns/58.4gns respectively before the bullet is sitting on the powder, so a little way to go with N165, not so much with N170 before I start to compress!

My goal is to get velocities around 3000fps, perhaps a little more.

That's it for now, more after lockdown, hopefully soon!