AK-47

Must stop getting pissed in the Diggle hotel....the other idiots usually come up with a dare...
Someone said, "bet you cant make an AK competitive"....

Foxy had a very nice Saiga, which belonged to a friend of mine, who passed away recently. 
A bog std gun with the laminate woodwork, and basically , a stock rifle.

I'm gonna hell for this one..... 😄

jnJ2LSQ.jpg

First thing we did with it, was bolt a Dragunov scope on its side mount to it, and feed it some of the Chinese Norinco corona shite. It really is shite.....when it goes bang. The little six power scope actually zeroed, and the gun was shooting 3" at 100 with the crap.
I didn't want the scope, it sat to one side. It proved it worked however, and I thought with handholds, if I could get it to 1", it would be competitive.
Load is vhit 120 with a 123 lap spizter [fmj] bullet.

Sold my last remaining kidney, and Brownells got a battering.

First job was to fit a side charger to it, no problems there.

Then the brake was annoying me, so out came mr Blowtorch. That came off, revealing an M24 threaded boss, that was blind pinned onto the barrel. It should have an M14 x 1 l/h thread, but this was made for export, so they fitted that monstrosity, to it.
The barrels are pressed in, through 2 points, and i really didn't want to take the barrel out, just to re thread the muzzle.
So I made a brake in the fat M24 thread. It looks big, but its actually no bigger than the std one, but this one will actually work.

emXUMg0.jpg

lC4SGIW.jpg

Next job was to bin the plastic club, the russkies believe resembles a stock.
Its a folder, and there were no conversion kits available, i could find/get shipped.
Took some aluminium, and spent a day on the lathe, and the mill, just for one sodding part. It works, it folds, and it takes an AR15 buffer tube.

mfatCLz.jpg

Then the Brownells box landed, with a very nice Midwest Industries side mount, in Q/D flavour, which actually puts the scope over the bore, and not off to the left.
Also one of their very nice fore ends to replace the firewood with.
Finished off with a Magpul rubbery MOE grip.
I ordered a couple of AK mags, a steel one, and a P-mag, knowing they wouldn't work. The saiga's have their own mags, due to the Yank law, forbidding std mags fitting their guns.
Dropped on four saiga mags from the chap at Riflemags, so no bother, but I really wanted to make it work with ALL mags.
Again, not available, is a small metal shim, which comes from the states.
Its basically a feed ramp to work with std mags, as the saiga mag has the feed ramp built into the mag.
Devil of a job, as you can't get into the gun properly, to take measurements. I gave it a go, thinking it would take at least three attempts, but got the sizes correct first time. The sliver, actually slides under the barrel, and is a nice, tap fit. Drilled and tapped the receiver, and bolted it on. The screw is actually countersunk flush, but its irrelevant, as the round goes nowhere near it.
With a few file strokes on the mags, it now accepts, and feeds from any mag.

uwTXXcD.jpg

Going to shoot it tomorrow, and see how it goes. If all is fine, its coming apart again, for a paint job.

Love these guns, there is just so much fun about them.

Dave, excellent work as usual. Just for info as Aks are not as common in the U.K. car circles - if it’s a 100 series receiver it’s possible FAB do a plastic skin kit and full length / integral aluminium picatinny upper.. It’s sold as a full semi-auto rifle as an AK ALFA. Below is a pic of mine with 1-6x Kahles. The charging handle can be reversed L to R in a few seconds- just a thought for a car match type alternative to an AR 15 platform. Mine is in .223 Rem 1:7” twist. Shoots very well to 600m with heavy bullets but hates ss109s.

47FA18E2-1B95-4113-8955-53DE8D2F9E8B.jpeg.fda5b571052e16fa32b1801528c2a9e6.jpeg

EEC68CAD-DE22-496D-B5F0-F4645A2D5960.jpeg.a34c0a054a24ac6cef20ba4d625a56dc.jpeg

I've built a bolt gun in Valkyrie, and its ongoing load development, and its pretty good.

The AR works nicely too.

I did a 20" barrel in Nosler, and that was phenomenally accurate, but the velocities were well down on the valkyrie. The nosler needs a 26" barrel to make the silly velocities its meant to achieve, much like a 22-250, but certainly one i'll be revisiting at some stage.

On 3/21/2020 at 7:59 PM, baldie said:

Must stop getting pissed ....
Someone said, "bet you cant make an AK competitive"....

I'm gonna hell for this one..... 😄

Just because you could doesn't mean you should.

Down to the fiery pit it is. 👿

Nice work though.

16 hours ago, baldie said:

I've built a bolt gun in Valkyrie, and its ongoing load development, and its pretty good.

The AR works nicely too.

I did a 20" barrel in Nosler, and that was phenomenally accurate, but the velocities were well down on the valkyrie. The nosler needs a 26" barrel to make the silly velocities its meant to achieve, much like a 22-250, but certainly one i'll be revisiting at some stage.

Interesting stuff.

I'd be intrigued to hear how that new 70 gr Accubond does on roe / munty / cwd.

Scrumbag

On 3/22/2020 at 12:40 PM, ds1 said:

Dave, excellent work as usual. Just for info as Aks are not as common in the U.K. car circles - if it’s a 100 series receiver it’s possible FAB do a plastic skin kit and full length / integral aluminium picatinny upper.. It’s sold as a full semi-auto rifle as an AK ALFA. Below is a pic of mine with 1-6x Kahles. The charging handle can be reversed L to R in a few seconds- just a thought for a car match type alternative to an AR 15 platform. Mine is in .223 Rem 1:7” twist. Shoots very well to 600m with heavy bullets but hates ss109s.

47FA18E2-1B95-4113-8955-53DE8D2F9E8B.jpeg.fda5b571052e16fa32b1801528c2a9e6.jpeg

EEC68CAD-DE22-496D-B5F0-F4645A2D5960.jpeg.a34c0a054a24ac6cef20ba4d625a56dc.jpeg

Dave W  can you straight pull one of these ?

Dave, after the CV19 crisis is under control you are very welcome to come out and play with this and other kit. Craig should be coming out in November for the mil comp so maybe hitch a ride with him and join in the comp too.

To straight pull one - zoom  in on the left hand side - the  charging handle and slot is already there as part of the alloy upper. 

Derek, I think you have shot the ALFA. If not then definitely try it next time you are over.

2 hours ago, ds1 said:

Dave, after the CV19 crisis is under control you are very welcome to come out and play with this and other kit. Craig should be coming out in November for the mil comp so maybe hitch a ride with him and join in the comp too.

To straight pull one - zoom  in on the left hand side - the  charging handle and slot is already there as part of the alloy upper. 

Derek, I think you have shot the ALFA. If not then definitely try it next time you are over.

Yep shot it Dave i like it . might have been Thomases with the 2 sights .

Decided I wasn't having the standard safety on the AK....they rips lumps off you.

I set to making an AR style one, which meant I needed to make all the internal mechanism, as well as the paddle itself. It took hours. The guts are made from a large piece of stainless bar, turned and milled down to quite a small part.

The paddle, the same, involving the dividing head, and then upended to double as a rotary table.

These things look simple, until you realise they are not.

ZBLkX7F.jpg

I then set a spring and ball bearing in the back, and drilled two detent dimples in the action side. It works perfectly, and is out of the way now.

That was the last job before paint. Stripped it all back down and painted it in Armour black, and burnt bronze [my gun, my favourite combo ]

Tuned the trigger to give a definite 2 stage release, which is very nice, and rebuilt it all.

mAEyiml.jpg

8dF4eYh.jpg

0rzWSwj.jpg

QA1VKu4.jpg

m9dQJfP.jpg

Very pleased with it.

Be nice to shoot it now........

Dave

i retesting project and like the added refinement re the safety, I had a Romak for a while and was a fun rifle but as you say the safety on these rifles is the pits.

be nice to hear how it shoots

brgds Terry

ps still feel it’s like putting lipstick on a pig though🤔😂😂

Course it is....but that's half the fun Terry...😂

Only tryout its had, was a six inch gong at 200 yards, and anyone who had a go, was clanging it, every shot.

It was shooting 3" at 100 yards with Chinese milsurp, I hope it will do an inch with a good handload.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 5/22/2020 at 6:59 AM, baldie said:

It can come and live in Essex.......🤣

It is after, all, a shade of orange......

Just like to update the story and confirm the rumours that the Russian Princess has been rescued from the North .So whats next Dave  ??????