M&P15 .22 jamming

Woodlander

How can I prevent my M&P 15 from jamming.  I’m lucky to get through a magazine without a jam?  I’ve tried 3 types of HV ammo, not much difference. I’ve cleaned it a few times (should I clean after every outing) is there any specific part that if dirty, is responsible for causing jams?

Thanks 

24 minutes ago, Woodlander said:

How can I prevent my M&P 15 from jamming.  I’m lucky to get through a magazine without a jam?  I’ve tried 3 types of HV ammo, not much difference. I’ve cleaned it a few times (should I clean after every outing) is there any specific part that if dirty, is responsible for causing jams?

Thanks 

I had the same issue with mine, it was caused by HV ammo such as minimag

I switched to Blaser / Std ammo and it worked flawlessly

On 3/21/2020 at 1:54 PM, Woodlander said:

Thanks 

So 'jamming' is kind of an all encompassing term. What is it doing, exactly? My M&P got 600 rounds through it at it's last outing -much of this fired rapid fire with a binary trigger- and never once did it misfeed or fail to fire: and that after a previous 500 rounds with no cleaning. I shoot CCI Blazer, Mini Mag, Geco, Aguila.....SK..... the gun is a real trollop when it comes to ammunition. In binary I can loose 50 rounds from a Black Dog drum magazine in about 4 seconds. Never quits. 

Extractor replacement might be in order. Make sure the groove for the extractor in the rear of the barrel is clean. Don't over lubricate it. A drop of oil on each rail and one on the return spring should be good. I never clean the bore, proper.

Did you buy the rifle new? or 2nd hand?~Andrew

Hi Andrew. Mostly the ejected case is trapped on the way out, leaving a live round chambered, which then has to be ejected before continuing.  I was barely getting through 3 shots without it happening. I’m not the most diligent cleaner of rifles.  
Thanks 

Paul

Hi velocity ammo is fine. I would make sure the extractor hook is free and clear to grasp the case. One item with the S&W is that a number of rifles came from the factory with bad headspace. Not headspace in the way we usually think of it, but the recess on the bolt face was cut too shallow. This is a known issue with S&W and they will send you the gauge you need to check it, free of charge. It's just a small tab of metal you insert into the recess of the bolt.  I'm sure someone in the UK has one but as a quick check, remove the bolt and see if you can slip the rim of a unfired cartridge under the extractor and into the rim recess. If you can't get it past the extractor that's a problem. If the rim won't cleanly sit inside the recess on the bolt, you might have a out of speck bolt. Make sure that recess is spotlessly clean.

I have an M&P with a binary trigger. My girlfriend has the same, and a buddy has one as well.  Rock solid reliability. I did order the gauge from S&W and checked all three guns. ~Andrew

I’ve only ever used HV ammo and 4 different types, but the problem seems to be getting worse, although since new, it’s rarely got through a magazine without a jam. 
 I’ll try and check the ‘headspace’ and give it a clean and a spot of oil.  
Thanks again Andrew, don’t think binary triggers are available here, must be a hoot.  
Paul