Accuracy, how much is down to the press?

Woodlander

7 minutes ago, Popsbengo said:

yes but only when there's an "R" in the month 😉

Catch 22, don't know what you are referring to re 'honed dies' - all I do is polish the seating stem where it bears on the bullet ogive otherwise, standard Hornady 'competition' die.

I do have Radio 4 on the radio while I load, don't know if that has any affect ?

I find Gerry Rafferty's greatest hits, very loud, gives me the best accurate rounds😁

35 minutes ago, Popsbengo said:

I do have Radio 4 on the radio while I load, don't know if that has any affect ?

Ahh that's your problem, pops...First, something a bit more upbeat on the boombox, then gently grip brass between fingers of preferred hand while boppin' full circumference around your press  🤔 .....(let us know how you get on, pops 😉

I'm still waiting for the first episode of "The Archers" where someone goes out lamping or culling badgers

Here in Wyoming the  badger is a fur bearer and needs permit to take, handsome devils that dig huge holes and a nasty temper!                                Loading to music hahah I managed to forget my work and just enjoyed the sounds, Im sure PinkFloyd had the greatest influence on velocity and accuracy hahahah!

10 hours ago, KABOOM said:

Here in Wyoming the  badger is a fur bearer and needs permit to take, handsome devils that dig huge holes and a nasty temper!                                Loading to music hahah I managed to forget my work and just enjoyed the sounds, Im sure PinkFloyd had the greatest influence on velocity and accuracy hahahah!

No no, getting it right is hard enough sometimes, playing them, you'll just hit another Brick in the wall😋

Used a bog-standard Lee Challenger for years and never had accuracy issues which could be deemed as caused by ineffectiveness of that press - it served me well for years and is now delivering fine, accurate loads for a friend...

It's nearly 3.00pm and still no sign of pops...Most likely still doing the 'Do-Wop-Dee-Wop-Dee-Wop' around that press and he's probably gone Comfortably Numb 😵...Come in, earth to pops, do you read us? 🤔...(or, he's gone to church) 😃

46 minutes ago, snakeman said:

Used a bog-standard Lee Challenger for years and never had accuracy issues which could be deemed as caused by ineffectiveness of that press - it served me well for years and is now delivering fine, accurate loads for a friend...

It's nearly 3.00pm and still no sign of pops...Most likely still doing the 'Do-Wop-Dee-Wop-Dee-Wop' around that press and he's probably gone Comfortably Numb 😵...Come in, earth to pops, do you read us? 🤔...(or, he's gone to church) 😃

Hello!  Been for a walk, sorry to keep you.  Archers omnibus so plenty of .308 to load..

One of the LR distance groups' world record was held for years using ammo loaded on inexpensive Lee kit.

Whilst it would be nice to have a slightly stiffer frame (no sniggering at the back🙄) the Lee Breachlock Challenger does me.  It has a few annoying traits like the wooden ball handle keeps falling off (me being too lazy to epoxy it on), the collection tube for spent primers regularly drops off spilling primers all over the floor, and the primer seater often falls out of the holder when depriming cases....err....not selling it am I 🤣

Fancied a change to an RCBS Rockchucker but the Lee does ok for the outlay.

Lee dies of late I don't think are as well finished as they used to be.  I still have a pace setter set from a few years back which is fine but have also invested in dome Redding dies which I think are better, especially the VLD seater with micrometer setting on it.

Music?  1812 usually reminds me to put more powder into the cases, but usually I listen to R4Extra for the older stories and the noon funny hour which takes the monotony out of case prep.

5 hours ago, snakeman said:

Guys

Anyone know who else manufactures a single-stage press with priming executed on press?..as like Lee press with safety primer tray/lever 'click' arm

RCBS, I don't prime on the press I hate the lack of feel. I use a hand primer tool also by rcbs way better feel and I think I paid 30 bucks in USD.

14 hours ago, snakeman said:

Guys

Anyone know who else manufactures a single-stage press with priming executed on press?..as like Lee press with safety primer tray/lever 'click' arm

Agree with Kaboom, total lack of feel using a press.  I have an RCBS bench mounted priming tool, excellent feel with the added benefit of not running out of hand strength part way through a batch.  It's fitted right next to my Rockchucker and doesn't get in the way by cluttering up the bench

🤣 Excellent! Reading this has just cost me the price of a double cd! 

I’ve had Canned Heat’s Living The Blues double album since the 60’s and quite often  had the Refried Boogie, which covered both sides of the second lp, playing in the background as I was doing stuff that I could boogie to 😂. The record deck hasn’t been up and running for many years now so I’ve been missing it! 

Just found it on Amazon and pressed the go button! 

Apart from that.... music to load to includes Cream.....usually Wheels of Fire, Lynyrd Skynyrd live albums, Floyd’s live DSOTM etc Pulse. And anything else that takes my fancy.....Luther Allison’s The Thrill is Gone is another fave.... I’m sure I had an excellent Elmore James version on cd, perhaps not but I can’t find the bloody cd! Been hacking me off for years that. 😣

Hmmmm.....that Elmore James might have been the sky is crying....BB King also did The Thrill

cheers

Fizz

Tube’s large test of reloading equipment revealed the Rockchuker gave the same repeatable accuracy as the Pretzi Press