Covid 19 Virus

Private Marker

The Covid 19 Virus is starting to have an effect at Bisley.  The MOD has cancelled all the cadet training they run, eight lanes for the weekend after next cancelled. 

What's bothering me is will The Imperial go ahead? I know it's a way off yet, but Glastonbury was cancelled and that's the end of June, and way bigger. 

Any thoughts?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who didn’t / haven’t:

Dear NRA Member

Coronavirus Update: 18th March 2020

Please see below the latest update which has been posted on the NRA website and other social media platforms this afternoon:

The National Rifle Association and National Shooting Centre continue to closely monitor updates from the statutory authorities and Chief Medical Officers.

Our rifle and shotgun ranges are open and will remain so as long as:-

we have sufficient staff to ensure range safety and proper levels of service;

there are sufficient shooters to justify the staff resources; and

the statutory authorities do not issue advice that we should close.

We are determined to offer target shooters the opportunity to enjoy open spaces, fresh air, and challenging shooting at Bisley to enhance their well-being during these challenging times. Please note the following:-

Spring Action Weekend (SAW) / Historic Service Rifle Match (HSRM)

The SAW and HSRM (28th / 29th March 2020) have been cancelled because of the high concentrations of shooters and ROs on firing points. All entry fees will be refunded or credited in full.

Other NRA Competitions and Training Courses

All other NRA competitions (Imperial, Phoenix etc.) and training courses are scheduled as normal; we will keep this under constant review.

Pavilion and Clays Cafés

Both cafés will be closed from Monday 23rd March 2020 until further notice, in line with government advice that such facilities should be avoided.

Social Distancing

Shooters are advised to follow the latest government advice on social distancing, and be thoughtful about the number of firers on targets.

Anti-Viral Cleaning

We have increased the cleaning regime for frequently touched surfaces, including reception areas, ablutions, hire rifles and shotguns, shooting mats, range radios and ear defenders.

Vulnerable Groups

Shooters should familiarise themselves with the latest guidance about groups most at risk from the virus before travelling to Bisley.

How is it spread?

The spread of COVID-19 is most likely to happen when there is close contact (within 2 metres) with an infected person. It is likely that the risk increases the longer someone has close contact with an infected person.

What to do if you or a visitor begin to feel unwell:

Should any individual feel unwell, particularly if they are experiencing a dry cough or high temperature, they must not travel to Bisley but should follow government guidelines about self-isolation or call the NHS 111 phone service.  Anyone entering the main public areas – range office, reception or Clays – showing signs of coughing or flu like symptoms, will be politely asked to withdraw from counters or leave the building

Handwashing and Hygiene:

We are all advised to maintain a good handwashing hygiene routine. Wash your hands often with soap and water, or an alcohol sanitiser if handwashing facilities are unavailable.

Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue then throw the tissue into the bin. Remember the saying “Catch It, Bin It, Kill It.”

Surfaces Sanitising:

Viruses can be transferred to and by peoples’ hands; therefore regular hand hygiene and cleaning of frequently touched surfaces will help to reduce the risk of infection.

Facemasks:

NRA staff are advised not to wear facemasks as protection against the virus. Facemasks are recommended to be worn by symptomatic individuals to reduce the risk of transmitting the infection to other people.

Further details can be found https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/

The Imperial will most likely get cancelled, sooner the NRA make that the decision the better for those that have book travel and accommodation. Covid-19 is a big sh$£ sandwich, everyone is going to have to take a bite, including the NRA.

Markymark thanks for copying the email.  No I didn't get it. Obviously markers were not seen fit to receive it. From that it looks like the Imperial might go ahead. Though if the Grand national is cancelled maybe not. 

Clearly I am 2m from the shooters. 2m from the target next to me is impossible. 

I don't suppose Bisley would let me work from home?

7 hours ago, Private Marker said:

Markymark thanks for copying the email.  No I didn't get it. Obviously markers were not seen fit to receive it.

Are you a member of the NRA?

If you are not a member why would you expect to get a members email?

Suggest you all need to look at the long haul with this situation

We are by no means beyond a third of the way with regards infection, deaths and the loss of infrastructure. I’m sure the authorities will act as advised, it’s just a shame we appear to be three weeks behind everyone else 

If you look at how the infection has spread in other countries (Italy for example) we are matching their model of infection very very closely on similar timescale 

The virus will affect everyone and life as we know it for several months at least will change 

I think you need to look to autumn before things get better and in the meantime things will get much worse 

The government is relaxing drivers hours and several suppliers (supermarkets) are recruiting heavily for staff to provide support and the transport infrastructure to support increased demand and enable provisions to be on the shelves or delivered to the most needy 

The last thing people need to do is panic buy - the last few weeks has shown human behaviour at its worst as far as I’m concerned 

Most gatherings / competitions etc are going to be cancelled 

Just deal with it, next year may be better 😃

18 hours ago, John MH said:

Are you a member of the NRA?

If you are not a member why would you expect to get a members email?

To be fair I didn't know anything about it until it was posted here, so though I am not a member I wouldn't be able to expect something that I didn't know about. 

Member or not, I do work for the NRA so it would be nice to be kept informed 

11 hours ago, Ronin said:

We are by no means beyond a third of the way with regards infection, deaths and the loss of infrastructure. I’m sure the authorities will act as advised, it’s just a shame we appear to be three weeks behind everyone else 

If you look at how the infection has spread in other countries (Italy for example) we are matching their model of infection very very closely on similar timescale 

The virus will affect everyone and life as we know it for several months at least will change 

I think you need to look to autumn before things get better and in the meantime things will get much worse 

The government is relaxing drivers hours and several suppliers (supermarkets) are recruiting heavily for staff to provide support and the transport infrastructure to support increased demand and enable provisions to be on the shelves or delivered to the most needy 

The last thing people need to do is panic buy - the last few weeks has shown human behaviour at its worst as far as I’m concerned 

+ 1 on the human behavior  - we live in a rural farming community and both of us are in a high risk group. Yesterday the locusts landed on our little village shop and stripped it. For one, I cannot understand the pre-occupation with toilet rolls, and I don't like pasta anyway.

Miseryguts (off to shoot some gongs in my neighbours field)

Listening to Johnson at the minute:  ordering closure of pubs, clubs, gyms etc.  I expect DIO will be closing down access to their ranges soon across the country.

On 3/19/2020 at 8:15 PM, Ronin said:

Well put,couldn't agree more

Shot at Bisley this Morning,  (a bit of clay practice) I then popped into Fultons to buy some small rifle primers, all sold out.

Thr gent serving reckons its been one of their busiest weeks ever for reloading supplies, Working from Home obviously means Loading at home?