Ultrasonic Cleaning Solution

Popsbengo

Hi,  I thought I'd share my experience of a new cleaning additive I've tried in my ultrasonic bath with excellent results.

Carbusonic EP26R   https://www.carbusonic.co.uk/Jewellery---Precious-Metals/   £33 for 5Ltr but that makes up 80Ltr mix and I use the mix it more than once so reasonable value.

I've been trying various products and home-brew mixtures but I saw this and thought I'd give it a go.  It's identified as being 'for jewellery' so I reasoned it would be reasonably gentle. A 1:15 mix at 40degC for 10 mins in my ultrasonic and spotless!  Remember to degas the mix first (using boiled water helps).   Best stuff I've tried.  Quick rinse and dry and into the vibro tumbler with walnut and a tiny dash of jewellers rouge.

27 minutes ago, SMLE said:

Don’t you go and wear that ultrasonic out before I pick it up..... 😁

no fear, it's my new one!!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip, Pops.

I picked up a litre bottle of this, cases came out like new, even the primer pockets were shiny.
I was never happy with the results of the vinegar and washing liquid concoction and then the need to neutralise it.  
Top tip......

4 minutes ago, Woodlander said:

Thanks for the tip, Pops.

I picked up a litre bottle of this, cases came out like new, even the primer pockets were shiny.
I was never happy with the results of the vinegar and washing liquid concoction and then the need to neutralise it.  
Top tip......

I drained the 15:1 mixed fluid after one use (100 .338 cases) and let it stand, all the crap fell out of suspension and I was able to reuse the stuff.  It was as good as 1st pass.

P.S.  I have read that vinegar is a really bad idea.  Acetic acid will attack the brass unless properly and fully neutralised.  Citric acid passivates naturally and a quick rinse in clean water is all that's needed.

I’ll try that, although just using it the one time will mean it’ll last a fair while.  I had around a hundred cases each of .204, .223 and 6br, each coming out as clean as the last.  But being a cheapskate, I’ll definitely be filtering it from now on and I can save the vinegar for my chips.  
Thanks again Pops

2 hours ago, Woodlander said:

I’ll try that, although just using it the one time will mean it’ll last a fair while.  I had around a hundred cases each of .204, .223 and 6br, each coming out as clean as the last.  But being a cheapskate, I’ll definitely be filtering it from now on and I can save the vinegar for my chips.  
Thanks again Pops

i run a untrasonic for cleaning stuff (not cases yet ) . I use parafin  . When it gets dirty i drain it into a clean container through a petrol fuel filter (attached buy pipe) . This filters own to about 10 micon . leave it to stand for a week then gently pour back in .. gues it wold work on this stuff as well .

24 minutes ago, Dellboy said:

i run a untrasonic for cleaning stuff (not cases yet ) . I use parafin  . When it gets dirty i drain it into a clean container through a petrol fuel filter (attached buy pipe) . This filters own to about 10 micon . leave it to stand for a week then gently pour back in .. gues it wold work on this stuff as well .

From my boating days I know some fuel filters won't pass water, the medium is treated specifically to stop water droplets so they drop out into a catch bowl.  Worth a try, I guess if it works, it works !