Bipod

colin jalland

Just a little advise if you can lads , I am in the fortunate position to be able to shoot long range steel in a regular basis close to home so I am know looking at upgrading from a Harris bipod to something better but I am totally lost with all the options available at the mo , not bothered about carbon just want the best value for money . What would you guys advise ? Thanks Colin 

Ask Tony at the club about his and Paul's new bit of kit they're making. 

It is carbon and needs picatinny rails to go on but the concept is quite interesting. I've only had a glance at a photo of it so can't tell you a lot about it but worth a look.

There are many options out there now. Are you just intending to shoot prone and it one spot? If so some of the FTR type of bipods might be suitable. 

Stable sporting options are mainly picatinny mounted. I am currently using a Tier One evolution bipod. It is very stable as allows the rifle to sit underneath the axis of the legs. I like the fact the legs deploy without having to press a button like atlas. 

I like the look of the Atlas cant and lock which is a viable option. 

it all comes down to how much you want to spend. 

Imo the accutac range are very good if not the best bipods I've seen too date..!!

Several with wide foot prints versions and optional feet including ski feet..

The downside is they're very expensive.!!!  Actually there ridiculously expensive 😳

A mate has a couple including the 50 cal version and they are very good quality..

I'd never buy a new one but may consider a used one if I won the lottery..

I'd buy 2 if I won the euromillions 😁😅

Over the years I’ve had a Harris BRMS, Atlas and now the Fortmeier/Phoenix bipod.

The latter is by far the most stable and robust. Totally rock solid with zero flex in the legs.  Totally unlike the Atlas which feels like a floppy chip at times.

I have the top mounting version and wouldn’t now be without it on my big boomer. Works great on both a bench and off grass.

81F058B7-AA07-447C-9C31-50B09BD7B855.jpeg

I can highly recommend the Tier One tactical bipod, if you’re wanting to upgrade to a classic Harris/Atlas type bipod.   It is carbon fibre and it is light, but very sturdy and comes with a QD rail adapter, so it can be moved quickly on to multiple rifles with rails.  Very quick a smooth to deploy.  

I had the Tier One tactical bipod, and returned it as when attached to rifle the barrel would touch the legs of bipod when canting this will depend on the thickness of the forend on your stock as it sits between legs, I changed to a atlas CAL and find it a great bipod to shoot from. 

• 3 months later...