Vudoo Gun Works / .22LR Custom Actions

JDT

With the UK PRL starting a .22LR league this Summer I was wondering if there was a UK importer / distributor for VGW?

Also interested to know if there are any other 'custom' magazine-fed rimfire actions on the market that people know of and if the established gunsmiths and custom builders (traditionally centrefire) on here see this as something they may get into over the next few years (depending on the popularity of .22LR PRL obviously)?

Note for mods - I know .22s are specified for the 'Other Sporting Rifles' sub-forum but due to the specific discipline I thought this would be suitable in tactical. Feel free to move if you want though :) 

Paddy Dane has a number of the VUDU actions and mags in stock.

He's also got some of the Bighorns inbound.

I'm looking forwards to trying the bighorn myself.

Cheers for the response baldie. Are the Bighorn one's you're referring to 'RIMX' from Zermatt Arms which is also the parent company of Bighorn? Found it odd that they have 2 separate websites for their respective actions if they're essentially the same company. Going to look at them right now!

I'm actually wanting a 6.5 Creedmoor building on a Bighorn Origin action in the future when the money is there...will be interesting to see how well their reputation translates to the rimfire market.

Just had a look at those John and I love the carbon version, although push-fed rather than controlled-feed like both the Vudoo and RimX. Still, I bet the full Bergara would be half the price of a full custom built off the V-22 or RimX…

Wonder if it comes in lefty, didn't say on their website.

All getting very interesting re. The 22rf with CF footprint market. 

The Ultimatum Deuce and DeFacto (Tikka footprint) are also available.

Next question to me, as you are looking at a serious ££ build cost, is what barrel, its twist and who’s chamber design? You would wasn’t to get the best out of any build and 22rf barrels do not really wear out that fast i.e. once you’ve had it built you are stuck with it?

Anyone had any thoughts on the latter points??

Terry

• 7 months later...

The target below was shot in a recent National Level Competition in Ireland. The target is derived from the ISSF(Olympic) style target .The bull is 10mm across .  The "X" ring is 5 mm. The shooter has 20 minutes to shoot as many sighters as he wants( on two bulls above the 4 shown in the photo), plus the 20 scoring shots, 5 in each bull. The score is 200 out of 200 and you can see the group sizes. This was not a fluke as the shooter has shot the same in other competitions. The Rifle used was a stock version of the Anschutz 1761 MPR as delivered from the factory. The action is a joy to use, as is the trigger. The ammunition used was SKC Rifle Match(red box)

One factor which has not been discussed in this thread so far is weight. The weight of this rifle, with scope, as shot is just on 10 lb. This competition has an overall weight limit of 10.5 lb. All of the Rem 700 type rimfire actions weight a lot more.. If you are weight limited where will you put the weight? I suspect you will put it into the barrel if you can.

NMSCI 26 9 20 FSPR 50 Card 2.jpg

Forgive me if I miss the point of the thread. Are Vudoo and Bergara .22lr practice rifles for centre fire Rem actions primarily and of similar weight for that reason?. Also the T1X could be Tikka equivalent? And as if it ever gets off the ground in the UK there is only one open class then anything goes. Surely weight is immaterial as long as you can hold the thing. If there is to be a sub class then why not 'base' class as it is across the pond where its limited to factory spec rifle and scope and rrp say £1000?
Otherwise I don't see what the Bergara or voodoo offer over an Anschutz etc etc; as long as it has a 10 round or more magazine which is where the 1761 fails - and no chassis of course(why oh why is there no chassis for a Sako Quad? MDT)