Marlin 1894 - forend fit/bedding

terryh

Just been working on a new Marlin 1894, focussing on the internals- not sure if my memories good, but this rifle does seem a bit rough inside compared to the same model of a (good) few years ago? But it’s a lot smoother now.

The thing that I had not looked at on previous rifles was the setup and how the forend & magazines was all fitted together, it all looks a bit ‘stressed’.

Now there are various articles on ‘bedding’ the forend of lever rifles, putting RTV between the mag tube and barrel under the forend, opening up the barrel bands etc.

Anyone have any real world experience on this, must be something that can be done to balance out things? As it stands the more rounds in the magazine the greater the pressure on the underside of the barrel near the tip.

Cheers T

On 3/1/2020 at 4:42 PM, terryh said:

Just been working on a new Marlin 1894, focussing on the internals- not sure if my memories good, but this rifle does seem a bit rough inside compared to the same model of a (good) few years ago? But it’s a lot smoother now.

The thing that I had not looked at on previous rifles was the setup and how the forend & magazines was all fitted together, it all looks a bit ‘stressed’.

Now there are various articles on ‘bedding’ the forend of lever rifles, putting RTV between the mag tube and barrel under the forend, opening up the barrel bands etc.

Anyone have any real world experience on this, must be something that can be done to balance out things? As it stands the more rounds in the magazine the greater the pressure on the underside of the barrel near the tip.

Cheers T

I have a .44 1894 Marlin (Remling) purchased new in 2015.  Absolute garbage out of the box - burrs and swarf in the action, trigger was beyond diabolical.  I spent many hours fettling it, fitted a "Wild West Trigger" kit and it's pretty reasonable now.  The barrel is ok thankfully and the rifle is reasonably accurate for a carbine under-leaver.   The magazine is fine if the band screws are tweaked but not tight.  All-in-all a piece of USA made crap out of the factory but hey-ho, plenty to do in the shed can be fun 😁

Henrys on the other hand are mighty fine guns. Old Marlins are pretty good I'm told and the new ones have improved a lot since the Remington buy-out has re-tooled and sorted production processes.  I just got me a dog..

12 hours ago, baldie said:

It shouldn't look Stressed Terry. They only look like that, when they have been assembled wrongly.

Dave,

That was my ‘gut’ feeling, its a $600 production line item so do not expect too much 😁?

Will spend a bit of time looking at this and fitting, well on the next one, this one needs to go back for a different reason 

Posp

This is a new production item, I avoided a Remlin. Yes older models were a lot better, I used a 44Mag for CAS in the US about 20 years ago and it was, from memory, a much nicer beast.

T

Absolutely lovely 30-30 Limited Edition Winchester lever action at my local shop - perfect for a collector, polished steel frame, engraved, good wood...

• 6 months later...

I've just added a Marlin 336 Dark Series in 30-30 to the safe and for a scrub gun it's not to badly put together. Certainly not the same quality levels as my AW or even my Pro Hunter but it's rugged and with a parkerised finish should survive getting dragged through the scrub chasing pigs and roos at close range.

I've given some of the internals a going over with a very fine stone to remove some of the sharper edges left from the machining processes but stayed clear of the trigger. After about 250 rounds in a week it's starting to feel a lot smoother. 

I've heard the stories around the quality control and the "severe" dip in standards but from what I've seen and heard they seem to have recovered some what in that area. There's a couple of JM stamped Marlins over here for sale I might have a look at too if the budget allows.

Marlin Dark Series 30-30.JPG

I had the misfortune to buy one of the first Remlings in .44Rem Mag.   What a total piece of carp!  see above.

It's not encouraging to hear even the "sorted" ones need some fettling.

My Henry in 45/70 was tip-top straight out of the box