New component parts to be numbered ?

Dellboy

As I said Matt, its news to me.

I dont believe a damn thing on F/B....😂 And will wait until the Police tell me what to do. 

I suspect RFD's will be a long way down a naughty list, when it is quite obvious that no manufacturer, either here or European is actually complying with this "Law"....

I take it the RFD has to strip a gun down , to find all the numbered parts.....and enter them on his register.......

Sorry....😂😂

That's what it looks like to me, Dave, but then that's the end of the story.

We don't have to write the extra numbers on the FAC when we transfer the firearm, and then the trail runs dry. NFLMS, I hear, doesn't have the facility to record the extra 2 or 3 numbers with the year and country designations (which could all be different) anyway.

I spoke to one importer and they were not happy but they were thinking it might be dropped as unworkable. The only way to do it successfully would be to get the manufacturers to do this at time of production. But as some mass produced parts are not destined for a particular country (or even a particular rifle) at this time would the manufacturers make this financial commitment for a small convenience in a small market?

ETA: I still haven't had an answer to a problem that has arisen with a current build after discussing it with the FEO - who is deemed to be the manufacturer?

Scenario:

1. If I buy an unbranded receiver from abroad and engrave my name, number etc on it what goes on the FAC as maker? All I would have done is scratch or laser the surface.
  2. The conversation then went on... If I buy a barrel blank from (say) Lothar Walther and turn it, thread it and chamber it etc, does it become a 'Matt' barrel or is it still a Walther? I would have done more work to it than was involved in branding the receiver.

It's a poorly thought out law with no benefit to safety that I can see. What is surprising is that I expected more from those who think up firearms laws.

I've said it many times before - There are no sensible firearms laws.

So far, we have made little in the way of change in respect of the recording of Firearms/Shotguns that we receive from our main suppliers into the RFD register.

We are fortunate I suppose, that the main items we stock in relation to Shotguns usually share the same marks on the three aspects of the gun.

We now use two letter Country of Origin marks alongside the RFD entries for the guns that the receive as new or buy in. Admittedly, some of them we have agreed amongst ourselves and are fairly obvious, others we are starting to see embedded in the serial numbers of certain guns - Browning 525/Miroku for instance now have JP stamped within the first section of the S/N. Browning had warned us in advance of the changes, that they would be doing this.

With reference to Firearms ammunition deliveries, we now record the batch number as part of the description field, in the 'Ammo In' section of our RFD Ammunition register.

We have had no contact or direction from our Licensing Dept, the above was just our initial understanding and basic effort(s) to show awareness and compliance.

So how can you comply if the relevant info isn't there? Send the stuff back?

Good luck to anyone trying to engrave or stamp a firing pin or trigger spring..........or let's get surreal, the end of the grub screw that locks the trigger onto the receiver on a Musgrave.............

Pete

Interestingly it says all firearms manufactured or imported after  14/9/2018 are to be marked, so who is expected to do that then? An RFD if one comes into their possession?

How do you know the manufactured date?

I strongly expect this will fall by the wayside once we fully leave the EU along with the Deact sale notification rules.

The EU document says that the Nation state shall retain all these records for at least 30years, that doesn't fit with RFD requirements to retain registers so there is already a disconnect. It also says the marking is needed if the serial number on component parts doesn't match the receiver/frame number. [L137/30]

‘That data-filing system shall record all information relating to firearms which is needed in order to trace and identify those firearms, including:

(a) the type, make, model, calibre and serial number of each firearm and the mark applied to its frame or receiver as a unique marking in accordance with paragraph 1, which shall serve as the unique identifier of each firearm;

(b) the serial number or unique marking applied to the essential components, where that differs from the marking on the frame or receiver of each firearm

Which would suggest that if the bolt/bolt carrier/barrel etc bear the main serial number then there is no need for a unique marking.

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32017L0853&from=EN

Sounds like a real clusterfcuk.

The days of NVN are over it would seem.

Expect all moderators to be marked with a serial number, including the imports from EU countries which haven't ratified the directive and will not comply.

UK importers will need a laser marker or something to be complaint with UK law.

13 hours ago, Roy W said:

I strongly expect this will fall by the wayside once we fully leave the EU along with the Deact sale notification rules.

Unfortunately it is UK Law now, it would involve someone actually thinking it was worthy of parliamentary time to repeal this and all the comments mentioning 'public safety' would go against us as the firearms community.

It will be ignored right up until the moment the powers-that-be deem someone (an RFD) unworthy and want a stick to beat them with.

1 hour ago, Mattnall said:

Unfortunately it is UK Law now, it would involve someone actually thinking it was worthy of parliamentary time to repeal this and all the comments mentioning 'public safety' would go against us as the firearms community.

It will be ignored right up until the moment the powers-that-be deem someone (an RFD) unworthy and want a stick to beat them with.

ive asked essex to clarify what they want done exactly  and ive asked for the answer in writing / e mail . will follow the question with an e mail as well ... Although i dont expect an answer